Wrecking a decent bag

Balotelli

An estate that I periodically shoot has a retired guy who goes out everyday all over the estate looking for pigeons. In desperation he will set up anywhere and spend a few hours popping away at a couple of pigeons that might happen by. It seems that the whole area is devoid of pigeons. In my opinion but I'd welcome others' views all  that he has done is to move the pigeons on from the whole area. I don't think that it is far removed from roost shooting: the first outing nail a number of pigeons, the second outing halve the number and on the third outing not a pigeon to be seen.

In my experience, I've found that if you have a good day on a particular field the next day the field is devoid of pigeons. Again, it would be interesting on others' views on the forum.

My conclusion is that pigeons will not take the pressure of constant shooting and move on.

Referring to the retiree above, I don't think that he has twigged that he is "shooting himself in the foot" by his daily forays popping a few shots off all over the estate and hence ruining his shooting as well as others. I guess he does a brilliant job for the landowner. 

7 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

An estate that I periodically shoot has a retired guy who goes out everyday all over the estate looking for pigeons. In desperation he will set up anywhere and spend a few hours popping away at a couple of pigeons that might happen by. It seems that the whole area is devoid of pigeons. In my opinion but I'd welcome others' views all  that he has done is to move the pigeons on from the whole area. I don't think that it is far removed from roost shooting: the first outing nail a number of pigeons, the second outing halve the number and on the third outing not a pigeon to be seen.

In my experience, I've found that if you have a good day on a particular field the next day the field is devoid of pigeons. Again, it would be interesting on others' views on the forum.

My conclusion is that pigeons will not take the pressure of constant shooting and move on.

Referring to the retiree above, I don't think that he has twigged that he is "shooting himself in the foot" by his daily forays popping a few shots off all over the estate and hence ruining his shooting as well as others. I guess he does a brilliant job for the landowner

:good:

Pretty much does a good job. He's being a scarecrow and keeps them off. Is that not what it's about, keeping the fields clear? As stated in another recent post, it's not about the bags, I genuinely love just sitting out sometimes, beating the monotonous boredom of looking at a concrete jungle. 

Also Ive found that I don't want 100 pigeons at the end of the day, not that I have. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to shoot a hundred pigeons, but ive nowhere to chill or dispose of them. Half a dozen is enough. Farmers happy, in fact because I've gone regularly, I've gained extra fields to wonder about. I wish I was retired, I'd be out every day 

1 hour ago, Balotelli said:

Referring to the retiree above, I don't think that he has twigged that he is "shooting himself in the foot" by his daily forays popping a few shots off all over the estate and hence ruining his shooting as well as others. I guess he does a brilliant job for the landowner. 

I've one estate I could shoot every day and would if I hadn't got loads of other places to go. As said it's not about how many it's crop protection and getting out in the countryside. 

I get the communing with nature bit and that's great. But you you don't need to carry a gun to do that. I used to fish an idyllic spot but fish were few and far between and in the end it wore a bit thin as I wanted to catch a few fish and enjoy the beauty of the environment. Greedy maybe.  From my perspective it's the same with pigeon shooting. Yes, I agree you are doing a job for the farmer and that's why you have the permission but we are on this forum as we enjoy shooting. If you want to shoot pigeons then rotate farms and preferably not next door to each other. I'm sure there's a  balance  between shooting and doing a job for the farmer. The guy I mentioned in my opening post is not interested in the countryside and his life is only shooting pigeons and I think that he's hasn't caught on what he's doing, thinking that next day one of the fields will be "blue". As for shooting a hundred pigeons that's a pipe dream for him or anyone else on the estate for the reasons already given. 

Incidentally, his method of managing the pigeons that he does shoot is to either leave the corpses lying in the field or throw them into the nearest ditch. Without sounding sanctimonious when I have seen this I've picked up the corpses and disposed of them. In my opinion it's no more than littering and no the foxes don't pick them up as there aren't any.

Edited by Balotelli
additional thought

1 minute ago, Balotelli said:

I get the communing with nature bit and that's great. But you you don't need to carry a gun to do that. I used to fish an idyllic spot but fish were few and far between and in the end it wore a bit thin as I wanted to catch a few fish and enjoy the beauty of the environment. Greedy maybe.  From my perspective it's the same with pigeon shooting. Yes, I agree you are doing a job for the farmer and that's why you have the permission but we are on this forum as we enjoy shooting. If you want to shoot pigeons then rotate farms and preferably not next door to each other. I'm sure there's a  balance  between shooting and doing a job for the farmer. The guy I mentioned in my opening post is not interested in the countryside and his life is only shooting pigeons and I think that he's hasn't caught on what he's doing, thinking that next day one of the fields will be "blue". As for shooting a hundred pigeons that's a pipe dream for him or anyone else on the estate for the reasons already given. 

Doing a good job then.

Estate happy. 

Sounds a bit like the estate i shoot on, i can only get there once or twice a month, but being a large estate (1500 acres) there are other shooters on it as well. the place is totally shoot out with only the odd pigeon flying over high and fast on his way somewhere else. just going elsewhere is not an option for a huge number of people, being in the southeast of England, land is hard to come by. unfortunately it is the only perm i have so i do find myself sat there like your old retired guy 

1 hour ago, Balotelli said:

Incidentally, his method of managing the pigeons that he does shoot is to either leave the corpses lying in the field or throw them into the nearest ditch. Without sounding sanctimonious when I have seen this I've picked up the corpses and disposed of them. In my opinion it's no more than littering and no the foxes don't pick them up as there aren't any.

I am lucky enough to be in the same situation as your retiree , I am given the pigeon shooting as they know I can be trusted , can go everyday if I want to , can go any day of the week if I get a phone call and don't need to wait till the weekend and many other reasons , one being I am a extra pair of eyes If gates are left open and I see cars or vans that shouldn't be there .

Also you didn't mention how big this estate is , the one I go on is 5000 acres and it would be nigh on impossible to shoot the whole estate out by myself as shooting good bags of pigeons can be hard work and I finished with hard work when I retired nearly 13 years ago , we don't stop anyone else who help out on the shoot or is part of the estate in any way , as an instance , one of the chaps who bought a full days game shooting last year had just recently bought his lad a new 20 bore and rang the keeper up if he could do a bit of pigeon shooting on a Saturday around three weeks ago to try his lads gun out , the keeper rang me and asked if I could find him somewhere and give them a few pointers , I looked around and found a nice lot on some old rape stubble where they could drive up to where they could put up a hide and get some shade from a very hot day , I met the father and son at the farm at the arranged time and took them to there spot , I lent them my magnet and a bundle of cradles to put any dead pigeons on , told them where to put the decoys out , set the magnet up with two dead birds I brought and let them get on with it , as it turned out they had a good afternoon sport and thanked me and the keeper for the help we gave them and as a foot note they have bought a day for the coming game season .

Another chap who do a bit of picking up on the estate and work all the week like a bit of pigeon shooting on the odd Saturday , when I know he is coming I spend a good part of Friday finding where he would get some shooting for a few hours , this time of the year it is fairly easy to find somewhere to go but a bit harder to find any amount of pigeons , up to now I haven't failed to find some and the last afternoon we spent together we got 42 between us , so even though I am out most days with either just looking or shooting we have still got more than enough for any one else who would like a day , if you are talking about a small place then things might be different , but as far as I know I have never had any complaints from other shooters or landowners about how much time I spend shooting pigeons . GOOD LUCK and I hope things get better .

42 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I am lucky enough to be in the same situation as your retiree , I am given the pigeon shooting as they know I can be trusted , can go everyday if I want to , can go any day of the week if I get a phone call and don't need to wait till the weekend and many other reasons , one being I am a extra pair of eyes If gates are left open and I see cars or vans that shouldn't be there 

Very similar to my perm, pigeon and corvids come and go.  If I'm ill for a couple of days/weeks sport is better, but thats not what the farmer wants. He wants clear fields.

If there's nothing much about i can take the air rifle or silenced. 410 in the barns or grain store for rats, squirrels and occasional pigeon or crow. 

I have a couple of permanent hides under different flight lines so others can benefit and also if I'm tired and maybe just want an hours fresh air I can park up, sit in the hide and shoot any pigeon that shows, with just a couple of half shell decoys out. 

Or maybe a little wander with a slack handful of shells in my pocket if I'm up to it.

If I was having bags of 100s everyday, one, I couldn't afford to shoot as often, and two, it would be "harder work" than I can manage picking up, then disposing of. This year no restaurants were interested and there's a limit to how many you can push on others before they end up in the bin.

It's horses for courses, farmers happy, the chap who owns the shooting rights is happy, he runs a game shoot there, and also shoots fox and deer, and I'm happy. Some of my memorable days have only ended with me picking up less than 10 birds.

Sometimes all I can manage due to ongoing illnesses is a couple of hours. May the other retired guy is in a similar way. 

Maybe you should chat to him, everyone that comes across my perm i have a natter to.

A really nice post Centrepin. I wish that you were on my shoots. The retiree that I mentioned in my opening post is fairly unpleasant and not approachable. I'm surprised that they allow you to shoot during the game shooting season. Clearly from your post they do,  keep your head down and carry on.  

Edited by Balotelli
additional thought

On 25/08/2020 at 12:15, Balotelli said:

It seems that the whole area is devoid of pigeons. In my opinion but I'd welcome others' views all  that he has done is to move the pigeons on from the whole area.

Referring to the retiree above, I don't think that he has twigged that he is "shooting himself in the foot" by his daily forays popping a few shots off all over the estate and hence ruining his shooting as well as others.

I guess he does a brilliant job for the landowner. 

I am amazed by the many people here who seem, it appears, to no understand what the General Licence exists for. If I were the landowner/farmer I'd be delighted that I had such a man who kept the pigeons off my land and off my foodstuffs that I am growing.

4 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I am amazed by the many people here who seem, it appears, to no understand what the General Licence exists for. If I were the landowner/farmer I'd be delighted that I had such a man who kept the pigeons off my land and off my foodstuffs that I am growing.

The retiree that I referred to does not go out as some charitable gesture to the landowner but to satiate his desire to shoot pigeons. The way it is going is that there will be no pigeons to shoot and the landowner will be delighted. Then maybe he could do the odd tour of the estate just to make sure that no pigeons have returned and spend the rest of his mindless days at the clay shooting club. 

13 hours ago, Balotelli said:

I'm surprised that they allow you to shoot during the game shooting season. Clearly from your post they do,  keep your head down and carry on.  

I don't shoot the game birds, I leave them for those who pay. If a shoot is on i don't shoot that day or the previous day. We all stay happy 😃