Same job less money

washerboy

Those on Furlough might well be getting their money dropped, it's far form ideal.

I've just gone from contracting to perm, it's less money but secure, which at the moment is more important in my mind.

Your obviously not going to be happy about your money dropping,  could you say your not willing to drop your money but you'll do less hours?

Do you have other job options??

Sorry but this is only the start, wait until those furloughed, find there is no employment. Then the 31/01/21 will be along to complete the disaster   

2 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

Maybe think about moving on?

Seems some employers want people to work for free, or less.

That is true Capitalism, in action.

1 hour ago, washerboy said:

Had the dreaded we would like you to think of ways to save the firm money. 

One is doing your same job for less money!.. 

Then I'm on the same money as someone less skilled and they are currently thurloughed while I can't be. 

sounds like marriage to me............steer well clear of that sucker dude

I’ve taken a pay cut (until the new year where it will be reviewed again) however I work in an industry that is one of the hardest hit (aviation). I’m working from home so with no fuel costs I’m no worse off really. I used to commute over an hour each way. I would happily stay on this salary and work from home permanently.

Yes it's a job, I've taken a pay cut. Lost 6. 5 hrs pay on a Friday. It just makes me cross when I wasn't thurloughed and worked to kerp the place running along with the lads that were thurloughed, yet they get 2 days work or obviously non and still get a living wage. If I drop more hours on on less then their rate but I'm still working to keep the place afloat. 

That's, my weekly rant. Sorry lads. End of speal 😀

It’s good and natural to vent. I understand your frustration and upset. I also understand then business’s rationale. Everyone is making hard decisions.

One of my staff spoke to me yesterday about something and openly complained to me that I’d only brought her off furlough because of ‘XXXX’ - some baloney she had invented. I told her ‘no, I put everyone on furlough at the outset. Once I was able to bring some people back I did so, I kept you on furlough as you are one of the most expensive members of staff. As soon as the rules changed I brought everyone who was still furloughed back in and then made all staff furloughed part time. When we had the work I brought everyone back full time but reserve the right to furlough again.” I am only thinking of the business case, not of the personal circumstances or the unfairness of it all. I may still have to make some redundant in the next 12 months depending on what happens with demand, I would rather we all took a pay cut or worked part time before doing that however. The funny thing is I could probably close my business and get myself a better paid (but less rewarding) job easily. I don’t because I’m trying to keep everyone in employment and all of our mortgages paid. 

I got an email myself yesterday that the company was wanting to enter talks with our trade union about saving money once the government furlough ends. In other words we want to dry ream you over pay and conditions. It seems an odd time to do it as the company is being bought over before the end of october so the new company must be trying to save cash already before they take over.

Watching this sale being done as an employee really has shown up the shady deals big businesses do

My mate and his Mrs both work in Aviation, they were both approached, along with everyone else in the company and asked if they would take a voluntary pay cut of around 10% so the company could avoid making redundancies. 

They both volunteered immediately to take the pay cut, and have reduced their spendings. 

They then said anyone that didn’t volunteer was called in and given a load of pressure form the managers asking them why they didn’t volunteer, until they reluctantly agreed to a pay cut (basically all forced into it one way or another). 

Then the next week the company sacked / made a load of people redundant anyway. 
It has obviously left a lot of people disgruntled about their “voluntary pay cut to save jobs”. 

I got layed off from riding out in March as the most expensive member of staff. Well l didnt get layed off as such but my position was made untenable - it would have cost me more to drive there than I would have been earning. Fortunately I'd been doing some farm work locally and that has kept me going, I'm saving over £80 a week in diesel so although I've taken a fair pay cut I am just about keeping my head above water most of the time. It really showed what a shower of **** the chap was to work for though, I've been there from the very beginning, gone above and beyond to help keep the show on the road when it's gone tits up through cheap/useless staff leaving and I get treated like that. He will at some point want me back because the staff he has now are useless and once the weather gets bad they'll want to try an indoor job, and I shall very happily tell him to go forth and multiply. Look after your good staff and they will look after you.

I've been here 14 yrs, started on **** money but proved myself worthy of more. Hopefully nobody ends up out of work if we all have the mindset of a job doing less work and therefore less money is still better then no job we should be safe. See what October brings when the government stops thurlough

We have worked right threw looks like no overtime or anything for the next 3 years , we thought we might get a bonus as working with covid and the threat of taking it home to your family's but no joy there saying the place is on its knees and there looking for 70/90 people to take voluntary redundancy to save 6.9 million   , But the people that have been furloughed are loosing 2.5 days holiday a month ?. 

Big pressure on companies to stay in business.

How can we save money? is a question that rarely delivers benefits in developed businesses, as people's mindset is often about doing the same for less.

Breakthrough thinking comes when folks think about what they can do differently  .. this often results in different ways of working that make real benefits.

Edited by Smokersmith
typo

Guest cookoff013
1 minute ago, The Heron said:

Another method used is to make people redundant and then pile there work onto those that are left. 

yep,

where i used to work, it wasnt unheard of for 50, 70 and 110 hour weeks. poor chap did 110 hours for 2 weeks then collapsed. he wasnt right after.