Raw diet for dirty teeth?

markm

So my six year old cocker is just back from the vets after having his second scale and polish, first one at four years old (2 x £280)

I find it impossible to brush his teeth (I know I should have done it from the start). 

He currently gets raw veg mixed into his kibble and tinned meat. His stomach seems to be bomb proof. 

It it worth swapping fully to a raw diet? I’m happy to make up food for him or should I stick to ‘plaque off’ which I’ve never used?

He has no interest in chews and I’m not keep on a raw beef bone in the house  

Suggestions?  What do you put in your raw mix?

I reckon the tinned meat is making the kibble stick up round the base of the teeth. I think it's best feeding either one or the other. Would he not have a chew on a meaty marrow bone when he's outside then take it off him before he comes in?

I wonder is it a thing that some dogs naturally just have weaker teeth than the next dog? Like humans, I know some people who brushed twice a day yet still have more fillings than you could shake a stick at.

21 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

I reckon the tinned meat is making the kibble stick up round the base of the teeth. I think it's best feeding either one or the other. Would he not have a chew on a meaty marrow bone when he's outside then take it off him before he comes in?

I wonder is it a thing that some dogs naturally just have weaker teeth than the next dog? Like humans, I know some people who brushed twice a day yet still have more fillings than you could shake a stick at.

That sounds like the case. The vet said under the plaque his teeth are very healthy and none are anywhere near needing removed. 

He’s outside all day, so he could be left with a rib. 

Edited by markm

Proden PlaqueOff seaweed granules mixed in with his meals will keep his teeth clean. It stops the plaque sticking to the teeth and loosens existing plaque.

Its best started when teeth are clean to keep them that way. If plaque is already bad you might need to clean the teeth after using plaquOff for a few weeks to remove any stubborn bits, but it will come away easily.

1 hour ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Proden PlaqueOff seaweed granules mixed in with his meals will keep his teeth clean. It stops the plaque sticking to the teeth and loosens existing plaque.

Its best started when teeth are clean to keep them that way. If plaque is already bad you might need to clean the teeth after using plaquOff for a few weeks to remove any stubborn bits, but it will come away easily.

I’ve bought some with that in mind.