Choke markings

Rob85

Just a question about the choke markings on my yeoman barrels. About halfway down the barrel it's marked as 18.4, I'm taking it that this is the nominal internal bore diameter. So at the chamber end there is choke markings and 2 markings for each barrel. Does this suggest that the chokes have been previously altered and re-marked?

20200827_144835.jpg

On AYA the more open the choke used to be shown by stars. So the more open the choke the GREATER the number of stars. This is commonsense practice as you can't erase with a rubber something you've stamped into metal (well you can erase it but it's easier simply to add another star). So Juan has his one star marked full choke gun opened up to 3/4 choke and the gunsmith stamps an extra star.

So now his has two stars = 3/4 choke. Juan sells the gun to Carlos who wants only 1/2 choke in that barrel. Back to the gunsmith and on goes a third star. So Now the gun is 1/2 choke and has three stars. Then one day Carlos decides he's in need of some extra help as he's missing close birds and he'd like 1/4 choke. So the gun is altered again and back it comes with 1/4 choke and four stars. Or so I was told. The more the stars the less the choke.

AYA.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares

2 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

On AYA the more open the choke the GREATER the number of stars. This is commonsense practice as you can't erase with a rubber something you've stamped into metal (well you can erase it but it's easier simply to add another star). So Juan has his one star marked full choke gun opened up to 3/4 choke and the gunsmith stamps an extra star. So now his has two stars = 3/4 choke. Juan sells the gun to Carlos who wants only 1/2 choke in that barrel. Back to the gunsmith and on goes a third star. So Now the gun is 1/2 choke and has three stars. Then one day Carlos decides he's in need of some extra help as he's missing close birds and he'd like 1/4 choke. So the gun is altered again and back it comes with 1/4 choke and four stars. Or so I was told. The more the stars the less the choke.

No stars on my gun, just the markings in the picture. There is on my sarasketa though, I know they are quite typical on spanish guns. Strangely enough the gun doesn't even have the word "yeoman" on it. Was sold to me as a No.3 but I sent the serial number to AYA and they said nope it's a yeoman made in 1966

3 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

No stars on my gun, just the markings in the picture. There is on my sarasketa though, I know they are quite typical on spanish guns. Strangely enough the gun doesn't even have the word "yeoman" on it. Was sold to me as a No.3 but I sent the serial number to AYA and they said nope it's a yeoman made in 1966

Look at the action. I believe a Yeoman has pins and a No.3 has screws.