EE scam

The Heron

I got a recorded message from "HMRC" yesterday saying there was a warrant out for my arrest for unpaid tax and if I didn't press 1 and speak to someone I'd be arrested. :lol:

I was sorely tempted to press 1 and mess them about for 10 minutes but I wondered if it might connect me to premium rate number. 

1 hour ago, walshie said:

I got a recorded message from "HMRC" yesterday saying there was a warrant out for my arrest for unpaid tax and if I didn't press 1 and speak to someone I'd be arrested. :lol:

I was sorely tempted to press 1 and mess them about for 10 minutes but I wondered if it might connect me to premium rate number. 

More than likely. That's how they get their money!

I got caught out by that a couple of years ago; the text came from the official ‘150’ number that EE normally use & gave a link to the EE website,  so I thought nothing of it. When it didn’t seem to go through, I rang EE to check & they said it must just be a glitch in their system. 

The scammers took nearly £800 out of my account over a couple of weeks before I noticed (fortunately my bank refunded it immediately & investigated for me). 

14 hours ago, walshie said:

I got a recorded message from "HMRC" yesterday saying there was a warrant out for my arrest for unpaid tax and if I didn't press 1 and speak to someone I'd be arrested. 

The wife got a text from HMRC just yesterday telling her she was due a few hundred pounds tax rebate etc etc.

No doubt there are people that unfortunately fall for these scams. 

OB

14 hours ago, walshie said:

I got a recorded message from "HMRC" yesterday saying there was a warrant out for my arrest for unpaid tax and if I didn't press 1 and speak to someone I'd be arrested. 

I had the very same call on Wednesday morning. Am still waiting to be arrested!

Phone call seemed to be from the Bradford area. Reported it to HMRC via their website.

2 hours ago, Clodhopper said:

Phone call seemed to be from the Bradford area. Reported it to HMRC via their website.

Things may not always be what they seem to be. There's software out there that makes an incoming call from, say, Thailand, look like a local number (eg Bradford) when it pops up on your screen. My wife's younger brother, sadly now deceased, used to do Commision sales when living in Thailand and that is how his employer operated. These days I do not answer calls on my landline if the No is not in my directory. 

Edited by Bobba

My father received a letter form Legal and General stating he was owed the proceeds of a works pension he was unaware of.

All he needed to do was send his passport.

Letter looked extremely plausible but the address was not L & G's and the phone number was Turkish.

A search of the number was flagged 'extremely dangerous scam number'.

21 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Things may not always be what they seem to be. There's software out there that makes an incoming call from, say, Thailand, look like a local number (eg Bradford) when it pops up on your screen. My wife's younger brother, sadly now deceased, used to do Commision sales when living in Thailand and that is how his employer operated. These days I do not answer calls on my landline if the No is not in my directory. 

Agreed. Mine seemed to come from Derby.

Now I'll find out HMRC HQ is in Derby and I really will be arrested. :lol:

Edited by walshie

16 minutes ago, Bobba said:

That is interesting. The call was made to my mobile. I generally do not answer numbers I do not recognise( if they want me they will leave a message) but had been in contact with a business about a returned part and thought it may have been them. 

19 hours ago, walshie said:

More than likely connects you to a paid number so you get stung no matter what happens. 

You do have to be careful a friend of mine received a phone call and before the woman had chance to speak he said have you not got anything better to do than sit on your fat ******* **** making nusence calls why aren't you in the ******* kitchen, to which the woman replied now you have finished sir this is direct line insurance and I need to speak to you about your recent motorbike accident claim.

Doh. 

Had a text from natwest saying I needed to contact them. Googled the number and was a scam number so reported it to NW fraud dept.

A month later they sent me a letter so I checked on my online bank for the correct number and called them. Turns out someone had spoofed their number and they did actually need to talk to me. They where most thankfully for me letting them know.