Wood vs Feral

Percy78

Yes, in fact I shoot more ferals than woodies, but thats probably because I'm right next to a very large town. 

They come in very easily if they are about, and if truth be told, every time I have the magnet out I only ever shoot ferals. Never had a woodie come in with magnet out (which is probably my lousy fieldcrafts fault). Complete waste of money. 

9 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Watch out for stock doves, very easy to identify from flight and shape but I have seen so many shot by accident. 

Absolutely. I’ve let quite a few ferals go as I wasn’t 100% sure. We have a lot of collared doves around too so it pays to be careful.

I haven’t seen any stock doves but out of interest, what makes them stand out in shape and flight?

In my experience:

Shape - when flying Stock doves have a rounded head that is conical on the body with no discernible neck. 

Flight - they have a more rounded wing and don’t seem to flap as much 

Colour - stock doves are always darker in the wing tip and lack banding. Their colouration is more similar to a dark juvenile word pigeon. Blue rather than grey if you can picture it. 

Edited by WalkedUp

1 minute ago, WalkedUp said:

In my experience:

Shape - when flying Stock doves have a rounded head that is conical on the body with no discernible neck. 

Flight - they have a more rounded wing and don’t seem to flap as much 

Colour - stock doves are always darker in the wing tip 

Great info, thanks 👍🏼

In my area there’s a lot of ferals near any large cattle sheds - but also a good population of stock doves. Sometimes they can look virtually identical in profile. I have therefore taken to only shooting birds with a significant amount of white in their plumage. This means that some ferals slip through the net - but I still manage a good number of ‘flying rats’ in with the woodies. 

13 minutes ago, Fellside said:

In my area there’s a lot of ferals near any large cattle sheds - but also a good population of stock doves. Sometimes they can look virtually identical in profile. I have therefore taken to only shooting birds with a significant amount of white in their plumage. This means that some ferals slip through the net - but I still manage a good number of ‘flying rats’ in with the woodies. 

Very similar here. The ferals come off of nearby grain silos. Maybe I’ve been lucky not seeing any stock doves as they do seem abundant in other areas. That’s a very good idea about the plumage and something I’ll probably stick to as it’s definitely not a mistake I’d want to make.