Brilliant day with three grilse and a seatrout

Blackpowder

Just had a brilliant day on the Berwick and District Angling Assoc water on the river Whiteradder at Allanton on Beat 1.  Over 3ft on the Hutton Castle  gauge this morning so opted for 15ft rod and fast sinking tip. Successful fly was my own Hazel's Fancy tied on 15 mm aluminium tube.   Three grilse between 3 and 5 lb plus a small 2 lb sea trout and the fishing only costs £30 for a day ticket.

Edited by Blackpowder
Typo

On 28/08/2020 at 06:32, yates said:

Well done. It must have been a fantastic experience in such a short space of time. I agree with Walker, are you going to share the pattern 😊

The Berwick and District A A water offers a fantastic bargain in salmon fishing over a prime stretch of the river Whiteadder, for example I as a pensioner only pay £120 for a season permit  the season being from February to November, although the first and last months seldom produce any fish.  There are no residential qualifications for permit holders the same price applying to locals and visitors alike.  Yesterday was the first multi fish day for some years, although last week I had 6 lb and 9lb fishn fromvirtually the same lie.  Roll back to 2007 when a shoal of grilse entered the pool I was fishing,took three from the same  spot five pound grilse fresh of the tide.  2008 standing  at a different pool a sea trout, grilse and salmon  without moving and a following angler had a grilse.  Needless to say in the years since I have fished those same pools many times without seeing or catching a fish.   The Whiteadder  requires some spate water to allow migratory fish to run, its horse for courses with today a further rise in  the river wiping out fishing for today.

Yates I have an article on the fly lying with a fishing magazine at the moment, if and when it is published I shall willingly share the dressing.  

Blackpowder

19 hours ago, Blackpowder said:

Just had a brilliant day on the Berwick and District Angling Assoc water on the river Whiteradder at Allanton on Beat 1.  Over 3ft on the Hutton Castle  gauge this morning so opted for 15ft rod and fast sinking tip. Successful fly was my own Hazel's Fancy tied on 15 mm aluminium tube.   Three grilse between 3 and 5 lb plus a small 2 lb sea trout and the fishing only costs £30 for a day ticket.

All things are relative, I guess! Well done on the fish. sounds like good sport was had

4 hours ago, Blackpowder said:

The Berwick and District A A water offers a fantastic bargain in salmon fishing over a prime stretch of the river Whiteadder, for example I as a pensioner only pay £120 for a season permit  the season being from February to November, although the first and last months seldom produce any fish.  There are no residential qualifications for permit holders the same price applying to locals and visitors alike.  Yesterday was the first multi fish day for some years, although last week I had 6 lb and 9lb fishn fromvirtually the same lie.  Roll back to 2007 when a shoal of grilse entered the pool I was fishing,took three from the same  spot five pound grilse fresh of the tide.  2008 standing  at a different pool a sea trout, grilse and salmon  without moving and a following angler had a grilse.  Needless to say in the years since I have fished those same pools many times without seeing or catching a fish.   The Whiteadder  requires some spate water to allow migratory fish to run, its horse for courses with today a further rise in  the river wiping out fishing for today.

Yates I have an article on the fly lying with a fishing magazine at the moment, if and when it is published I shall willingly share the dressing.  

Blackpowder

Hi Blackpowder. I shall gladly take you up on the offer, thank you. I was walking the banks of the Tweed in late July near Horncliffe and could not believe the amount salmon that jumped clear of the water, I counted 15 in twenty minutes. Hope that this is a sign along with your report from the Whiteadder that things are improving 

On 28/08/2020 at 15:01, yates said:

Hi Blackpowder. I shall gladly take you up on the offer, thank you. I was walking the banks of the Tweed in late July near Horncliffe and could not believe the amount salmon that jumped clear of the water, I counted 15 in twenty minutes. Hope that this is a sign along with your report from the Whiteadder that things are improving 

Low water and Tweedhill on the opposite bank to Horncliff is abrilliant beat.  i was ghillieing  there Monday and Tuesday as the main ghillie needed a hand with some extra Rods.  The previous spate had carried most of the fish away but my angler managed a fish  both days and lost another also on each occasion.   If you come up get in touch here and I will do my best to help you out if I am available at the time.  Or get a back number of Trout and  Salmon for April 2020 where there is a full article on the BDAA beat.

Regards   Blackpowder

That’s a cracking day on a cracking river blackpowder. The one and only time I have ever fished the Whiteadder was my first ever day salmon fishing.   My wife bought me a day’s tuition with a ghillie.  I ended up with 5 fish..... never had a day like it.since!