For Crying Out Loud

wymberley

Earlier this afternoon I contacted Hawke regarding a sunshade and the scope flip-up cover tools which I could not find advertised so questioned their availability. An immediate response. If I order the shade and then tell the guy who answered my query that I've done so, then he'll put the tools in with the shade FoC. All this was done and I'm informed the packet has been dispatched.

So far so good. Then:

To BSA (sales)

Hello,

I have the Subject rifle which I acquired second hand and unfortunately have not got the comb adjuster tool - if indeed one was supplied - but neither can I find any reference do it - as far as I can see, the latest manuals on line to not include the TH version. I do not think the adjuster has an Allen head as I've been told but a Torx head. Could you kindly confirm which it is and the size?

Kind regards,
To me:

Good afternoon,

Thank you for the email.

You will need to contact our spares subsidiary as we haven’t looked after spare parts for many years.

You can contact them at:  enquiries@airgunspares.com  or Tel : 01675 481006

Kind regards

BSA GUNS UK LTD

To BSA - and I think they deserve this:

Will do, thank you. Although I'm not after a spare part - I don't even know if a 'key' was supplied with the gun. It's the sort of thing that I would have expected the sales dep't to know and if one was supplied, its size - or even if necessary when asked to refer the question to the design office. A somewhat disappointing response I'm sorry to have to say.

2 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

That's pathetic. They should have schematics somewhere about. 

There's no panic at the moment as the height suits me. As a one time Trenchard Brat, I wasn't too shabby a technician and my experience is telling me that someone has used the wrong tool and the head is so graunched I can't quite work out which of the two contenders - although I'm biased towards the Torx - the head actually is. It's very tight so any further action really requires the correct tool.

4 hours ago, Mice! said:

Well no one has replied saying they have one, which is unusual,  most are saying probably Allen key?

Fella with a Goldstar says his stock adjusts with a 3mm Allen key

Thank 'ee. Hopefully will find out tomorrow or failing that on Tuesday. Have to be a tad careful as unlike the Allen, the Torx is measured across the points. Had enough for now, but will see if I can take a photo as I'm now feeling that I'm the only one in the UK who has one.

Nice one, Hawke, thank you. It paid off as I've just ordered another scope.

3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Am I missing something? Why not just try a Torx first if you think that may be the correct tool - it will either fit or it wont - you will feel if it does and besides many Torx drivers will undo Allen headed bolts - remove the bolt and replace it with a good quality item.

As explained, the screw is very tight and I daren't try any harder with the Allen keys none of which fit correctly. This may be because of the existing apparent damage. All of my Torx are either too short or are step downs where the unstepped length is too wide to go into the recess. Once I know what the correct tool is, I can go from there.

Fairly often then Mice! -  cannot understand why manufacturers like BSA, who must surely realise that their reputation is on the line, don't jump on this problem as soon as it arose - any niggling doubt that exists over a gun is bound to affect sales. Mind you - without our Spanish amigo's BSA would be but a memory by now, such a shame when you consider some of the great guns they have produced over the years - cannot help but think that a modern Cadet, made to the same original standards (i.e. No plastic parts) fitted with a scope rail would sell.

14 minutes ago, Mice! said:

👍👍still can't believe they couldn't just tell you that.

Quite pleased that they didn't now as what they sent me was a top quality (genuine/stamped) Hafu item.

It makes me wonder that if people don't know the difference between a couple of screw heads, many of the problems we hear about are  actually down to operator error.

47 minutes ago, wymberley said:

It makes me wonder that if people don't know the difference between a couple of screw heads, many of the problems we hear about are  actually down to operator error.

I'm sure many do make things worse, lots of people haven't a clue but it doesn't stop them trying.