Learner driver insurance

Scully

I can’t do a search because every site I visit won’t let me progress without giving a quote, and I can’t do that without knowing all the applicants details, which I don’t have. 
My daughter has been given a quote for 12 months learner driver insurance. I know she can get insurance for three months at a time, but if she goes with the annual premium, and passes her test within say, 6 months, can she claim the rest back, or if she insures with the same company, the excess can be put towards the new premium? 
Paying monthly or at 3 monthly stages can prove expensive, but if she has to bite the bullet, then so be it. 
Many thanks all, for any help you can pass on. 

I recently taught the misses to drive, and when she passed, we phoned up the insurer and they just upgraded the policy. Think it was a little bit dearer, about a extra £10 a month but seeing as we used money supermarket to get the cheapest I couldn't be bothered to faff about cancelling it and finding another. She now pays annually and saves a fair bit more. 

My daughters first insurance was £1k give or take a few pence - obviously no insurance whilst learning as she went via a driving instructor, she had 7 lessons so £350. Her second year is just over £600 which I didn't think was too bad as she's only 19 and no black box or anything. 

the insurance normally goes up not down once the person has passed their test as they are a bigger risk, sometimes by quite eye-watering amounts! If you expect her to pass quite quickly i would work backwards and find the cheapest quote for her with a full license on the comparison sites rather than the company with the cheapest learner cost. Obviously once you have found this you need to redo the quote again with her as a learner. The other benefit of an annual policy is she can build up NCB while learning.

Edited by ferguson_tom

My son's best insurance quote on a £400 car when he was 17 and just passed his test was £4000. He didn't drive for the first year because of that and next year was £1200 which he paid. We tried adding him onto our premium would have gone up from £500 to £36,000! 

Insurance is legalised robbery.

9 hours ago, Scully said:

Thanks all. My son passed his test at 17 and insurance was 1600 quid with a black box. He’s 21 next month and insurance costs him around the 350 mark now. 
I don’t expect my daughters to be any cheaper. Thanks again, 👍

I was £1256 for an Impreza P1... 7 years after i passed my test! 🤠