Boat rod holder

walshie

My boat has a hole built into the gunwale either side. It's big enough to take the butt of a rod so the rod is pointing towards the back of the boat at about 45 degrees. 

Is there some kind of adjustable rod holder available that will drop into said hole so the rod points wherever I want it to rather than towards the back? If that makes sense.

Something like this..but without the need to clamp it or drill holes. 

berkley.jpg.60faf1cdef24f5e7203a3aa7de50accf.jpg

Edited by walshie

3 hours ago, walshie said:

My boat has a hole built into the gunwale either side. It's big enough to take the butt of a rod so the rod is pointing towards the back of the boat at about 45 degrees. 

Is there some kind of adjustable rod holder available that will drop into said hole so the rod points wherever I want it to rather than towards the back? If that makes sense.

Something like this..but without the need to clamp it or drill holes. 

Are these flush mounted rod holders like the two on either side here, with a hole leading to a tube?
image.png.64633826c78fe878e7b250faf535a96b.png

If so, I don't think so, as you'd have to change the angle of the tube below the top, and that wouldn't work, unless the tube rotated on a fixed platform, but I don't think there's anything like that on the market.

If it's just a hole, where you can put the rod in and no tube stop the rod sliding in all the way to the reel, then my guess is it's a hole waiting to have a flush mounted holder inserted. I think most people either put more flush mounted rod tubes in (easy job) at an angle they desire, or just go with the type in your photo. If you do that, then pick a brand and stick with it, so that all holders can slip into all bases, wherever they are on the boat. Scotty and Railblaza are in my opinion the best. Railblaza's attachments are myriad, which is great - you name it you can - attach one to their starports, but I think the Scotty rod holders are better. They're easier to get out in a hurry if you have the fish theft catch on. The Railblaza rod holders are a beggar for that.

Edited by chrisjpainter

18 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Are these flush mounted rod holders like the two on either side here, with a hole leading to a tube?
image.png.64633826c78fe878e7b250faf535a96b.png

If so, I don't think so, as you'd have to change the angle of the tube below the top, and that wouldn't work, unless the tube rotated on a fixed platform, but I don't think there's anything like that on the market.

If it's just a hole, where you can put the rod in and no tube stop the rod sliding in all the way to the reel, then my guess is it's a hole waiting to have a flush mounted holder inserted. I think most people either put more flush mounted rod tubes in (easy job) at an angle they desire, or just go with the type in your photo. If you do that, then pick a brand and stick with it, so that all holders can slip into all bases, wherever they are on the boat. Scotty and Railblaza are in my opinion the best. Railblaza's attachments are myriad, which is great - you name it you can - attach one to their starports, but I think the Scotty rod holders are better. They're easier to get out in a hurry if you have the fish theft catch on. The Railblaza rod holders are a beggar for that.

Yes, exactly like that and they have a tube about 9" deep at an angle. Maybe a bit more upright than 45 degrees, but bizarrely aren't on the back of the boat about 5ft forward of it. M<aybe the tube comes out. I'll have to check.

8 minutes ago, henry d said:

Ram do the Ball style rod holders and have one that fits existing rod holders like yours, THIS is the adaptor, but is specifically for kayaks unless your holder is a similar size. IIRC they do several other sizes the last time I looked

Thanks. I'll check them out. 

9 minutes ago, walshie said:

Yes, exactly like that and they have a tube about 9" deep at an angle. Maybe a bit more upright than 45 degrees, but bizarrely aren't on the back of the boat about 5ft forward of it. M<aybe the tube comes out. I'll have to check.

Thanks. I'll check them out. 

Was the boat new or second hand? I'm just wondering if someone was a wally before you owned it and put them in at 90 degrees to the way they meant to, but then couldn't be bothered to change it!. 

Just now, chrisjpainter said:

Was the boat new or second hand? I'm just wondering if someone was a wally before you owned it and put them in at 90 degrees to the way they meant to, but then couldn't be bothered to change it!. 

Second hand but I looked at the maker's website and they are all like that. 

3 hours ago, walshie said:

Second hand but I looked at the maker's website and they are all like that. 

That is weird. Waste of fishing space! They should be at least at 45 degrees, maybe even 90 degrees to the gunwales. Then have two facing back at the stern, as in my photo. I'm sure there's a way round it. Where's she held? Plenty of gorgeous coast to have a boat on in Wales

14 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

That is weird. Waste of fishing space! They should be at least at 45 degrees, maybe even 90 degrees to the gunwales. Then have two facing back at the stern, as in my photo. I'm sure there's a way round it. Where's she held? Plenty of gorgeous coast to have a boat on in Wales

Cardigan Bay. I'm going to have a look later and see if the tubes pull out, A hole in the gunwale would be a better starting point than a tube. Unless the tubes were just designed to carry rods while you travel rather than hold them for fishing.