mega roe buck cook off

243deer

We lost our freezer a while back - I was gutted to lose a lot of venison and pre-made meals - now going to create some space and get a second freezer.

So having grassed a young, not particularly good cull buck a coupIe of weeks ago I decided to mince most of the meat (sacrilege to mince some cuts which were left out).

I had some time off this week so yesterday I started off on day 1 with lasagnas

9 x 600ml containers with lids

For the ragout

1 1/2 lb of onions

6 cloves of garlic

4lb venison mince

3 tins of chopped tomatoes

1/3 tube tomato puree

salt, pepper, soy sauce, fish sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mixed Italian herbs

Gently cook the above for 4 hours until the ragout is almost dry.

Meanwhile soften the sheets of lasagna a few at a time in a big pot of boiling salted water until just 'al-dente' - you need 2 1/4 sheets per container so 21 in all (there are usually 24 in a 500g box) - I use baking paper to keep separate and moist once cooked.

For the white sauce, 2 pints of milk, 2 oz butter, 2 rounded desert spoons of plain flour, salt, pepper, 3/4 of a nutmeg grated.

Put all the white sauce ingredients in a pan cold then turn on the heat full and whisk continuously it comes to the boil  - turn the heat down to about 1/4 so just simmering and cook out the flour for about 5 mins - this does not make a thick sauce but does make 9 ladlefuls - one for each container.

so add mince layer, pasta layer 3 times and top with sauce.

Now finely grate 4 oz strong cheddar and split between the containers

Finally a quick grating of fresh Parmesan - 1 oz ish is enough between the 9 pots

Whilst waiting for the meat to cook I did some prep for day 2 I fried off 2 aubergines and 4 medium courgettes, dicing them to about 3/4 inch, cover with clingfilm in  a bowl, I also boiled and sliced  1 1/2 lbs potatoes - should have made it 2lbs as some were 'stolen'

************************************************************************************************

Day 2 Moussaka's

9 x 600ml containers with lids

For the ragout

1 1/2 lb of onions

6 cloves of garlic

4lb venison mince

3 tins of chopped tomatoes

1/3 tube tomato puree

salt, pepper, soy sauce, fish sauce, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, seeds from 12 cardamon pods, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (mixed spice is also fine if this is what you have)

Gently cook the above for 4 hours until the ragout is almost dry.

For the white sauce, 2 pints of milk, 2 oz butter, 2 rounded desert spoons of plain flour, salt, pepper, 3/4 of a nutmeg grated.

Put all the white sauce ingredients in a pan cold then turn on the heat full and whisk continuously it comes to the boil  - turn the heat down to about 1/4 so just simmering and cook out the flour for about 5 mins - this does not make a thick sauce but does make 9 ladlefuls - one for each container.

So I now add all the cooked courgette and aubergine,including the juices created,  to the mince and stir well to distribute evenly.

A layer of this mixture is added to each container and topped with sliced potato and white sauce - life is too short for layers of aubergine - easier to eat pre-cut.

Now finely grate 4 oz strong cheddar and split between the containers

Finally a quick grating of fresh Parmesan - 1 oz ish is enough between the 9 pots

You can see in the picture the level I fill to, each container will serve 2 or 1 if you are mega hungry

Ingredients cost for the lasagnes is around £6 and for the moussakas around £9, this includes the cost of the containers and lids which are 18p each delivered if you buy 100 at a time.

mousakas.jpg