28 bore advice

Mr grumpy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have shot a number of 28 gauge over the years and currently have Caesar Guerini maxum but that is heavier than you have asked about. A super little gun if you can get one is the Macnab highlander made by B Rizzini or any of their own guns

I know they are budget but both Kofs and Yiditz are worth a look.

A gun on a shoot I was in had a 28 bore Browning O/U. It had to go back on a number of times for failing to fire the second barrel. So IMHO I'd be certain that if you are using standard 28 bore loads (what now some consider "light" loads) that there is enough "oomph" in them to fire an inertia trigger system if the O/U you are looking to buy uses such a mechanism.

Edited by enfieldspares

Another vote for the KOFS - super little gun, light as a feather - I use 23g no6 Hull High Pheasant in mine, recoil is barely noticeable and it seems to do the job on pigeons at 35 yards if you do your bit. If you did decide to buy one of the Turkish offerings avoid buying blind as some have awful stocks while others are very good. Weight is a gnats lunch box over 6lbs.

Edited by bruno22rf

Look up the weight of the gun and carts you want to use. 

Seems to be lots of people lately buying 28 and 20 bores... then shooting big for calibre loads through them. 

If I wanted a 28 I’d buy one on a purposely made 28 action, not a 20 bore action with 28 barrels. 

Would you be better off with a light weight 20 bore etc? 

The nicest sxs 28 bore I've handled was a Rizzini, colour case hardened action was a lovely thing.

Beretta 28bores are on a 20bore action, good if you buy a two barrel 20 & 28 set.

I'd be looking at dedicated 28 bore actions, if you want over and under look at the Ceasar Guerini, I've only heard good thing about the smaller bore guns they make.

1 hour ago, figgy said:

The nicest sxs 28 bore I've handled was a Rizzini, colour case hardened action was a lovely thing.

Beretta 28bores are on a 20bore action, good if you buy a two barrel 20 & 28 set.

I'd be looking at dedicated 28 bore actions, if you want over and under look at the Ceasar Guerini, I've only heard good thing about the smaller bore guns they make.

Not sure all beretta are on a twenty bore action they made one a number of year’s ago I believe that model was the  white wing although it maybe unavailable now as a new gun or possibly on a alloy action 

also heard good reports on the small bore ceaser Guerini models 

Chapuis-arme with double triggers and straight hand stock one of the most pretty guns I have seen for the price. A fine well proportioned gun for normal loads 21 grams.

I have a 12 and like it a lot once I added a bit of weight to the stock . Their  customer service is not up to much in my experience do not expect a reply to any emails but the gun has been fine.

Edited by swan40
add

5 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Not sure all beretta are on a twenty bore action they made one a number of year’s ago I believe that model was the  white wing although it maybe unavailable now as a new gun or possibly on a alloy action 

also heard good reports on the small bore ceaser Guerini models 

That's right I have a beretta 28 and it is on a small scale action

2 hours ago, swan40 said:

Chapuis-arme with double triggers and straight hand stock one of the most pretty guns I have seen for the price. A fine well proportioned gun for normal loads 21 grams.

I have a 12 and like it a lot once I added a bit of weight to the stock . Their  customer service is not up to much in my experience do not expect a reply to any emails but the gun has been fine.

Just to be fair, that's not my experience. They were absolutely superb and even arranged for me to have the French spec' stock fitted to my obviously export model - it seems we're a different shape to the French, except for me that is.