28 bore advice

Mr grumpy

I had an itch for a 28 bore after spotting for a friend who used a 28 bore Benelli semi-auto shooting pigeons from a hide. He was mustard that day and we picked 112.

I scratched the itch and bought a secondhand 28 bore Beretta 687, 30 inch barrels in very nice condition which i've kept to this day. I'm sure it's built on a 28 bore action?

It handles particularly well once you get used to the fast handling.It weighs just under 6lbs, nice to use from a hide but I love it for walking the woods and shooting squirrels.

Not long back I shared a hide with a good friend and we shot a few pigeons. My 28 bore is on the left of the picture and may mates 12 bore in on the right. On the day i used Eley VIP.

mid3.jpg

I bought and have now used up a slab of Bornaghi 24g shells that were excellent. Are these still available in the UK?

born22.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Fair to say that like me it's put on weight. I checked when I bought it, but since then it's had a 1" Decelerator recoil pad fitted/added and has gained a couple of ounces. It has 26.5" barrels.

Thank you. I think the later SP stuff is a little heavier.

2 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Hmm  £200/300, a bargain ! . i have the same in a 20 bore and can recommend it, mine weighs in 6lb with 30 inch barrels

I also have an Armsan 28 S/A which behaves faultlessly 

Edited by islandgun

Mmm.it was a straight hand,double trigger chapuis that has got me on this track to begin with.i handled one recently and the chap that owned rated the gun and the service from chapuis,but i never thought to ask him how he went about getting it.doh!

I do like the look of the rizzinis too

re chapuis- arm

The reason I said double triggers is instant choice of choke if you are of an age that can understand double triggers . I made the mistake of having a single trigger  which I would like to change but not that easy I just stick to 1/4 & 1/4  suits the type of shooting I do.

Have a look at the artisan guns not the laser engraved ones I think well worth the money and you can spec whatever you want closest thing I will ever have to a made measure custom gun

I personally can not see the point of shooting a light weight game gun with heavy loads, a 28 is sweet with  21 grams and will do all a 28 is supposed to do- if you want to shoot bigger charges use a gun suited to that weight. 

Edited by swan40

22 minutes ago, swan40 said:

re chapuis- arm

The reason I said double triggers is instant choice of choke if you are of an age that can understand double triggers . I made the mistake of having a single trigger  which I would like to change but not that easy I just stick to 1/4 & 1/4  suits the type of shooting I do.

Have a look at the artisan guns not the laser engraved ones I think well worth the money and you can spec whatever you want closest thing I will ever have to a made measure custom gun

I personally can not see the point of shooting a light weight game gun with heavy loads, a 28 is sweet with  21 grams and will do all a 28 is supposed to do- if you want to shoot bigger charges use a gun suited to that weight. 

I completely agree.why shoot a 12 bore load through a 20 etc.

Who is best to discuss chapuis guns with.regarding spec,cost etc?

2 hours ago, Whitebridges said:

I had an itch for a 28 bore after spotting for a friend who used a 28 bore Benelli semi-auto shooting pigeons from a hide. He was mustard that day and we picked 112.

I scratched the itch and bought a secondhand 28 bore Beretta 687, 30 inch barrels in very nice condition which i've kept to this day. I'm sure it's built on a 28 bore action?

It handles particularly well once you get used to the fast handling.It weighs just under 6lbs, nice to use from a hide but I love it for walking the woods and shooting squirrels.

Not long back I shared a hide with a good friend and we shot a few pigeons. My 28 bore is on the left of the picture and may mates 12 bore in on the right. On the day i used Eley VIP.

mid3.jpg

I bought and have now used up a slab of Bornaghi 24g shells that were excellent. Are these still available in the UK?

born22.jpg

There's a place in Stanway that stocks Bornaghi, not sure on calibers but might be worth a try.

Chapman safes or gun cabinets I think it's called.

24 minutes ago, Mr grumpy said:

I completely agree.why shoot a 12 bore load through a 20 etc.

Who is best to discuss chapuis guns with.regarding spec,cost etc?

Would you please stop rubbing it in? Although light by comparison, I've just been forced kicking and screaming to put mine on UK GR's for sale rack because I simply can't swing it any more. That gun has given me a lot of pleasure in the short time that I had it.

Google Chapuis and look for either Stephen or Horton as a starting point.

now there is a question . I got mine from Lings at Massingham  who I believe do not do them any more 

So I can not advise you I have spoke to another importer  but did not have much success with them as I said before customer service could be better.

1 hour ago, swan40 said:

The standard load for an English 2 1/2 inch 28 bore was 9/16 ounce or 16 grams in EU speak. 21 grams is 3/4 ounce and was the standard American load through a 2 3/4 inch chambered gun. With modern powders one ounce is common through a 28 bore but, I think, faintly ridiculous.

16 hours ago, figgy said:

The nicest sxs 28 bore I've handled was a Rizzini, colour case hardened action was a lovely thing.

Beretta 28bores are on a 20bore action, good if you buy a two barrel 20 & 28 set.

I'd be looking at dedicated 28 bore actions, if you want over and under look at the Ceasar Guerini, I've only heard good thing about the smaller bore guns they make.

Older berettas are 20g actions but the later ones are a smaller 28g action

i use 21grams 16 grams is nice but 28grams is too punchy to be fun

Edited by Modafinale

Just now, London Best said:

I borrowed a friend’s once and killed 8 mallard with 9 shots with it before it was properly light one morning. Found it very easy to shoot with.

I had the side plate deluxe for several years and it was excellent, lovely to shoot and thoroughly reliable. Chopped it in for a 20 bore caesar guerini maxum with 28 bore barrels and true left hand stock.

2 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

I had the side plate deluxe for several years and it was excellent, lovely to shoot and thoroughly reliable. Chopped it in for a 20 bore caesar guerini maxum with 28 bore barrels and true left hand stock.

Another friend has a side plate deluxe Highlander 28 and that is a beautiful gun.

To be honest, they are the only O/U I would ever consider. I am totally SxS.

Edited by London Best

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

Would you please stop rubbing it in? Although light by comparison, I've just been forced kicking and screaming to put mine on UK GR's for sale rack because I simply can't swing it any more. That gun has given me a lot of pleasure in the short time that I had it.

Google Chapuis and look for either Stephen or Horton as a starting point.

Is it SHS and 26" barrels? How much you looking for?

3 hours ago, London Best said:

The standard load for an English 2 1/2 inch 28 bore was 9/16 ounce or 16 grams in EU speak. 21 grams is 3/4 ounce and was the standard American load through a 2 3/4 inch chambered gun. With modern powders one ounce is common through a 28 bore but, I think, faintly ridiculous.

You sir seem to know everything beyond question.  

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Another friend has a side plate deluxe Highlander 28 and that is a beautiful gun.

To be honest, they are the only O/U I would ever consider. I am totally SxS.

Rizzini made the Highlander and yes it's decent but it's far from "beautiful". A bit of crep actually, compared to........ the better guns. 

London Best...... you make me wonder, show us yours darling....there's a love.....        

Just now, London Best said:

I will take that as a compliment.

Good Good.That's because you are an idiot!    

Just now, Whitebridges said:

Rizzini made the Highlander and yes it's decent but it's far from "beautiful". A bit of crep actually, compared to........ the better guns. 

London Best...... you make me wonder, show us yours darling....there's a love.....        

Beat me to it!  And a pic of my fave.
02D17F72-DDA3-41A4-BF46-6F74F2E563C4.jpeg.e14c4cfc882dd67c0c2c93ecec7f3250.jpeg27A636EF-B8A7-4B0E-97FF-17ECA9D96C1E.jpeg.8faefb23854081e67dc2f9abbb11890a.jpeg

5 hours ago, London Best said:

I'd agree. A 20 Bore will with a 28 gram/1 ounce load give a better pattern than will any 28 Bore with the same 28 gram/1 ounce load and with less felt recoil. Traditional loadings for each distinct "Bore" were worked out as what performed best for that gauge taking into account the length of the cartridge, its diameter and the weight of the gun it was fired through.

I see no point in carrying about a 28 Bore that in all respects including its overall weight of the gun is no more nor less than a 20 Bore action and indeed associated dimension buttstock fitted with 28 Bore internal diameter bored barrels to fire a 20 Bore shot weight load. It'd be simply cheaper to just buy a 20 Bore and shoot 28 or 25 gram loads through it and be done with the matter. The pattern will be better, the felt recoil less and the overall burden to you pocket considerably lighter.

The OP has asked for advice on a 28 Bore O/U that is, as he, the OP, writes is "something under 6 pounds in weight". To suggest then a reply (to that required specification) stating that "one ounce is...through a 28 Bore...faintly ridiculous" is seemingly the response of "an idiot" leaves me recalling the old adage that goes, I believe, that it clearly takes one to know one.

Edited by enfieldspares