First go with steel And some testing

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cookoff013
9 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Problem is that size 6 shot is the clay grounds maximum size along with 28 gram load 

I’m aware that I would be shooting at game but the clay grounds the place to practice and see if they are effective and the limitations of the capabilities 

OF,

you cant really compare 7.5s and then 3s at game and expect any evidence to make any sense. 7.5s are good, further out they need a different lead, but the 9s are great for skeet. (cyl / cyl) and 9s are very limp for further out targets. 6s used to be the traditional size limit at some clay grounds, 32g #4 was suitable at some point too for clays. i remember checking over the size limitations. youd have to do some real tests.  

I’m aware that it’s not a good comparison but I’m trying 

I can’t really try them out on pheasants for a month so until then the clay ground is the best option 

the skeet 9 shot count is massive so a distinct advantage for the 20 yards it’s shot at 

ive loaded 100 of each shot size 9......4 and have been trying them out on the same course of clays it’s the best comparison I can get at the moment 

just off to shoot another 100 improved cylinder and half fixed chokes  I’m fortunate that the ground owners are forward thinking and are allowing me to trial the home loads 

I’m  not sure what a real test is if you mean having them proof tested I’ve done that 

Edited by Old farrier

6 minutes ago, Shotkam said:

Spoke to Jon at S&G yesterday who developed the gun - who said 100% do not use steel shot in the gun.

Sounds like you have done your own proof testing !

He didn't develop the gun. He put a tin can on the outside of it.

Anyhow, it sounds like more unfounded scaremongering or ignorance. I spoke to a chap who puts over 3000 steel shells a year through his moderated 20. That's proof enough for me!

I have now put several through my 20, too, and have made myself some heavy tungsten cartridges for the marsh.

I think it is accepted that Jon developed a moderated shotgun based on a manufactured gun. A lot of time and effort went into research and development, which has resulted in the quietest Hushpower 20g available at this time.

I can understand his responsible approach given that the gun has not been proofed for steel.

The earlier models were 3/4 and full and  I am not sure I would be too keen to be the human proof test myself.

What loads are the tungsten if you don't mind me asking?

2 hours ago, Shotkam said:

I think it is accepted that Jon developed a moderated shotgun based on a manufactured gun. A lot of time and effort went into research and development, which has resulted in the quietest Hushpower 20g available at this time.

I can understand his responsible approach given that the gun has not been proofed for steel.

The earlier models were 3/4 and full and  I am not sure I would be too keen to be the human proof test myself.

What loads are the tungsten if you don't mind me asking?

The loads I have made are 36gm hw13 4s. That should prove plenty good enough for a few pinks on the marsh this season. 

The 3/4 and full choking is if no concern to me. I was slightly concerned by the thicker wads that encase steel shot (maybe a bit of plastic could get caught in the ports or baffles), but that soon passed after I had fired a few.

On 31/08/2020 at 12:54, enfieldspares said:

This. I will not eat and not buy any game that I believe has been shot with steel. And when...as they will...the "no win no fee" lawsuits start stacking up against the likes of Waitrose for tooth damage they will cease selling any game. Period. Wait and see.

100 % correct , wait until a celebs £12,000 gnashers explode with crunching steel shot and see what happens . Steel is not as good as lead end off .........

On 05/09/2020 at 12:30, Shotkam said:

Wow, that is some tungston load for a Hushpower with 3/4 and full !!!

You preferred the 12g Hushpower then?

I am using a 20g o/u.

2 hours ago, Salmo said:

100 % correct , wait until a celebs £12,000 gnashers explode with crunching steel shot and see what happens . Steel is not as good as lead end off .........

This isn't 100% correct at all! For a start, no-one's teeth are going to "explode."

I have bitten on lead and steel. There isn't much difference between biting into either!

On 04/09/2020 at 22:51, motty said:

The loads I have made are 36gm hw13 4s. That should prove plenty good enough for a few pinks on the marsh this season. 

The 3/4 and full choking is if no concern to me. I was slightly concerned by the thicker wads that encase steel shot (maybe a bit of plastic could get caught in the ports or baffles), but that soon passed after I had fired a few.

"The loads I have made are 36gm hw13 4s. That should prove plenty good enough for a few pinks on the marsh this season. "

Surely not for your 20G OU ?

10 minutes ago, Shotkam said:

"The loads I have made are 36gm hw13 4s. That should prove plenty good enough for a few pinks on the marsh this season. "

Surely not for your 20G OU ?

Why not. 3" chamber 20ga are more than capable of easily handling 1-1/4oz payload. Before lead was stopped for shooting wildfowl i shot literally hundreds upon hundreds of Winchester Super X 1-1/4oz 20ga through 3" chamber side by side sidelock - Berretta eell o/u - along with pump action and Semi Auto killing as many Geese as those armed with 12ga and 10ga  it always amazes me with people claiming 20ga kicks like a mule total utterly rubbish if the gun fits and is held/shot properly.

Personally ( as Motty well knows ) i only use 70mm 1 oz PWS - Hevi-Shot - HW13 and laterally TSS 18 when i want to reach out with TSS if you really wanted you could safely load 1-1/2oz to 2oz in a 20ga personally i have know interest of going over 1oz waste of shot and money but that just my opinion. Motty you will have know problem with that load mate 👍 those ole 10's of yours will be gathering dust

1 minute ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Why not. 3" chamber 20ga are more than capable of easily handling 1-1/4oz payload. Before lead was stopped for shooting wildfowl i shot literally hundreds upon hundreds of Winchester Super X 1-1/4oz 20ga through 3" chamber side by side sidelock - Berretta eell o/u - along with pump action and Semi Auto killing as many Geese as those armed with 12ga and 10ga  it always amazes me with people claiming 20ga kicks like a mule total utterly rubbish if the gun fits and is held/shot properly.

Personally ( as Motty well knows ) i only use 70mm 1 oz PWS - Hevi-Shot - HW13 and laterally TSS 18 when i want to reach out with TSS if you really wanted you could safely load 1-1/2oz to 2oz in a 20ga personally i have know interest of going over 1oz waste of shot and money but that just my opinion. Motty you will have know problem with that load mate 👍 those ole 10's of yours will be gathering dust

Fair enough then.

I use 34gram Black Gold 4 1/2 shot in a 20G Browning OU for late season game shooting and you you certainly know they are there even using a Browing Reactar jacket recoil pad - no recoil pad on the Browning though. 

I planned to get a 'Limb saver and fit, as I have used these in the past and they are well worth the £50 price.

6 hours ago, motty said:

I am using a 20g o/u.

This isn't 100% correct at all! For a start, no-one's teeth are going to "explode."

I have bitten on lead and steel. There isn't much difference between biting into either!

Same. Been eating game shot with steel for a couole of years now. None of my teeth have ever exploded. 

It's just more nonsense from people with their head stuck firmly up their ****. 

3 hours ago, Shotkam said:

Fair enough then.

I use 34gram Black Gold 4 1/2 shot in a 20G Browning OU for late season game shooting and you you certainly know they are there even using a Browing Reactar jacket recoil pad - no recoil pad on the Browning though. 

I planned to get a 'Limb saver and fit, as I have used these in the past and they are well worth the £50 price.

The very fact that you need a reactive jacket, limb saver or even a recoil pad should tell you that those cartridges are unsuitable to fire through that gun.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

The very fact that you need a reactive jacket, limb saver or even a recoil pad should tell you that those cartridges are unsuitable to fire through that gun.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

My shooting vest just has one slotted in, which when you have a miss-mount that can occasionally happen, it just makes recoil more forgiving.

The gun has an old school butt plate - solid.

I rate the thin limbsavers and they can make things more pleasant when you get the rare day where you get to fire a lot of shots.

34G is not my standard load and I don't use 3" cartridges in it.

Most shots choose a load suitable for the type of shooting planned and in my case with a 20g it ranges from 21g subsonic to 34g black gold.

Clean humane kills whenever possible and over time I have learnt what is needed to achieve that.

Each to their own of course.