What’s This?

CaptC

Found in a rifle case - made of hard plastic. The tapered end has a split similar to a jag for cleaning gun barrels. Measures 13” long. 

The smaller item is bored through but does not fit the rod. Looks similar to a 12 bore to .410 adapter but being plastic it would blow up! Measures 3.5” long

Thanks 

F7ACBFDF-DAD9-4832-ABBE-0B8940AA9905.jpeg

514DD22E-CDA4-48CA-A8F1-9E83AB349260.jpeg

It's, as said, an over elaborate cleaning stick. Or is it? The fact that it looks too elaborate compared to this version below suggests it is something else.

https://www.ds-solutions.co.uk/British-Armourers-Chamber-Cleaning-Sticks-for-303-762mm

Made from plastic. If the longer rod wit the case profiled end were metal I'd even pose that it might be someone's attempt at a stuck (separated head) case remover? In that turning the rod splays the case profiled end enough to grip the case body internally to draw it out. Plastic might at a pinch work as having dealt with head separated .303 British cases they are very slack in the chamber and not at all jammed against the chamber sides. Often a cleaning rod with a phosphor bronze brush would be enough to draw them out.

But in the absence of knowledge as if there's a full length hole through the long rod I'd also go for a chamber stick cleaning tool.

The smaller item? That's easy! It's a rod guide for the rear receiver ring.You place it over the rod. Then screw on to the usual end of the rod your wire brush, jag, or whatever. then insert the whole thing from the rear of the receiver and the black plastic bit fits into the bolt way on the rear receiver ring and keeps the rod aligned with the bore. A lot of faff to be honest and I've never bothered with one in forty-five years of full bore rifle shooting.

OTOH if the short thing has a small diameter hole and the front and a larger diameter hole at the rear then it maybe a slip over muzzle guide for a cleaning rod. That's be for perhaps a rifle where you couldn't easily clean it from the rear without a disassembly. So I'd say .303 or .450 Martini Henry, any Winchester lever action, or in the USA the M1 Garand.

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/dewey-nylon-muzzle-guide-m1-garand/shop-by-department

Edited by enfieldspares

3 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

It's, as said, an over elaborate cleaning stick. Or is it? The fact that it looks too elaborate compared to this version below suggests it is something else.

https://www.ds-solutions.co.uk/British-Armourers-Chamber-Cleaning-Sticks-for-303-762mm

Made from plastic. If the longer rod wit the case profiled end were metal I'd even pose that it might be someone's attempt at a stuck (separated head) case remover? In that turning the rod splays the case profiled end enough to grip the case body internally to draw it out. Plastic might at a pinch work as having dealt with head separated .303 British cases they are very slack in the chamber and not at all jammed against the chamber sides. Often a cleaning rod with a phosphor bronze brush would be enough to draw them out.

But in the absence of knowledge as if there's a full length hole through the long rod I'd also go for a chamber stick cleaning tool.

The smaller item? That's easy! It's a rod guide for the rear receiver ring.You place it over the rod. Then screw on to the usual end of the rod your wire brush, jag, or whatever. then insert the whole thing from the rear of the receiver and the black plastic bit fits into the bolt way on the rear receiver ring and keeps the rod aligned with the bore. A lot of faff to be honest and I've never bothered with one in forty-five years of full bore rifle shooting.

OTOH if the short thing has a small diameter hole and the front and a larger diameter hole at the rear then it maybe a slip over muzzle guide for a cleaning rod. That's be for perhaps a rifle where you couldn't easily clean it from the rear without a disassembly. So I'd say .303 or .450 Martini Henry, any Winchester lever action, or in the USA the M1 Garand.

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/dewey-nylon-muzzle-guide-m1-garand/shop-by-department

Interesting replies- thank you. 
The larger stick/rod is not threaded nor has it any hole bored through it. The smaller item does fit on the end but only loosely. 

2F73C942-4630-4CC8-A02A-F68BCD6DF490.jpeg