What thread is this?

Benthejockey

50 minutes ago, snow white said:

Why don’t you tell we what rifle it’s of somebody on here will tell you then what thread it is.

It's a parker hale 270win, it says it at the top of the first picture.

11 minutes ago, figgy said:

Looking at it and counting, you saying it's 12mm by 12mm it could be a M12 by 1.25mm pitch, this would give 9.6 threads in your 12 mm length. Half inch UNF is 12.7mm by 1.27mm pitch. Should be easy enough to check if you have any 12mm fine nuts around.

I'll have a root round in the garage. 

Being it's a Parker Hale it could be any thread that was cut on it as it certainly would not have left the factory with one. I've cut many threads on BSA and Parkers over the years. I would have agreed it does look like 1/2" unf. That was the go to thread for 99% of guns that were after market screw cut. I prefer the 1/2" unef (1/2"x 28) on anything over .243 so your not cutting as deep into the wall thickness. And it looks neater too. Being 12mm it is small to be 1/2" but the thread and pitch certainly looks like it. Perhaps it was not cut to spec but to fit a certain moderator. Best of luck.

2 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Can you use a grow ups measuring tool? 🙈

With some clear accurate measurements off something like a callipers we could help you. 

I spend 90% of my time looking after a 21 month old whirling dervish. I've got today and the weekend to get her to forget 'we feeding the badgers so daddy can shoot them hahahaha' before nursery on Monday morning! Stationary is borderline outlawed in this because she loves doing drawing drawing drawing! Finding a ruler is more of a miracle than jesus turning water into wine! My calipers were hidden away somewhere safe.

I did dig them out and measure it yesterday. I'll try and find a minute and photograph it but the measurements were 12mm x 12mm.

2 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

I spend 90% of my time looking after a 21 month old whirling dervish. I've got today and the weekend to get her to forget 'we feeding the badgers so daddy can shoot them hahahaha' before nursery on Monday morning! Stationary is borderline outlawed in this because she loves doing drawing drawing drawing! Finding a ruler is more of a miracle than jesus turning water into wine! My calipers were hidden away somewhere safe.

I did dig them out and measure it yesterday. I'll try and find a minute and photograph it but the measurements were 12mm x 12mm.

I can get that looking forward to my youngest starting school on Monday.  

This how I measure them.  

Thread Size Imperial

Measure the diameter of the barrel thread. This will be 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16 or 3/4. 
Next measure how many thread peaks there are in an inch. Take your measurement valley to valley. As most threads are shorter than an inch, you can measure how many in 1/2" and multiply by 2, or how many in 1/4" and multiply by 4. 

If your diameter is 1/2" and there are 14 peaks in 1/2 an inch, there are 28 in an inch. Your size would be 1/2" x 28. 
If your diameter is 3/4" and there are 5 peaks in 1/4 an inch, there are 20 in an inch. Your thread size would be 3/4" x 20.

Thread Size Metric

Measure the diameter of the barrel thread. This will usually be 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 17mm or 18mm.

Next measure threads peak to peak and if it's 1mm or 1.5mm then you have a Metric Thread. Then you use the diameter of the thread to get your size. 

E.G. M14 x 1, M15 x 1, M18 x 1 etc.

Edited by welshwarrior

21 hours ago, Gunman said:

1/2" UNF was the standard for most moderators of that period .I've cut quite a lot . 

I miss read your post as it was a Parker Hale moderator that the gun was threaded for . 

Simple way is to just measure the outside diameter which will tell you whether it is imperial or metric .As most moderators are made in standard sizes [ some are threaded differently as they are intended for police /military use , ] it will be the diameter rather that the tread size that will count .

Unfortunately you can not measure accurately enough with a plastic rule .Your local gunshop should be able to do so for you .