Heanel 303

Centrepin

Is a moderator worth the trouble on an air rifle, especially an old Heanol from the 60s recently rebuilt.

Most of the noise seems to be the spring slamming forward rather than the pellet exiting.

I shortened the spring as it was seemingly "excessively powerful" after the rebuild. No difference in noise. 

However, my son recently bought a springer break barrel brand new with a fitted silencer, its almost totally silent. Pleased with it he bought  similar one for his daughter without the silencer, so loud it frightens the gun dog.

Depends a lot on the silencer, but also as you say most of the noise is the piston. I've always had a silencer on a springer, if it had the facilities e.g screw cut. I don't care what anybody says it does make a slight difference, whether it's hunting or not.

If its not screw cut, I just got on without it tho, it's a lot of hassel for that small gain. 

I put a kit into my HW97K silencer to improve the performance, it worked extremely well.  You certainly hear a lot of mechanical noise as your ear is close to the action, but the overall effect was quite surprising.  

How it actually works Lord only knows!  

The air arms moderator on my AA S410 makes it almost inaudible. By far the loudest aspect of the shooting cycle is the pellet striking the target, whether that be fur, feather or steel.

In my experience and not backed by any acoustic testing:

A. Loudest aspect of PCP without moderator:

1. Muzzle pop

2. Pellet strike

3. Pellet flight

4. Internal hammer valve

B. Loudest aspect of PCP with basic moderator:

1. Pellet strike

2. Pellet flight

3. Interval hammer valve strike

4. Muzzle pop

I am not convinced on the value for a spring or ram powered airgun. The action will always be the loudest part of the cycle.

Loudest aspect of springer without moderator:

1. Action slide and rebound

2. Muzzle pop

3. Pellet strike

4. Pellet flight

Loudest aspect of springer with moderator:

1. Action slide and rebound

2. Pellet strike

3. Pellet flight

4. Muzzle pop 

I only use it for occasional ratting in the barns or grain store and once I've fired one shot, you never see another squirrel that day and its at least a half hour sat quiet before the next rat moves in.

As my son has the silenced gun I think i'll leave it to him.

Besides mine has a cheapo scope that's being a constant nightmare to zero. Methinks its had its day. Pity cos no scope and its spot on. Just difficult to see and aim at a barn length for a head shot over open sights.

Thanks for the advice 👍