Browning Steel shot

11 hours ago, motty said:

I don't understand this post.

BASC are plugging steel and Browning advertise this steel shot through BASC. 

I use steel on clays cos its el cheapo, so by the power of BASC/Browning advertising its has me and I presume others looking at alternatives.

So I guess he meant im thick enough to be suckered into an ad.

Before Robertt jumps in offended, the last paragraph was tongue in cheek.🤐😁

Guest cookoff013
3 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

I don't think they're going to do anything a Gamebore mammoth, or equivalent offering from Fiocchi, NSI, or RC won't do.

i hear good things about those RC cartridges, steel atomics.

https://www.rc-cartridges.com/Steel Loads-62.html

https://www.gilsans.com/cartridges-ammunition-shotgun-cartridges.irc?brand=101074

HP of course.

10 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Surely it must be more sensible to buy what you can get at the local outlets and work with what you have.

We had 3 RFDs. One was broken into, decided to sell up. 2nd was broken into, and no comment as the owner is a nice guy but had his licence revoked. 3rd refuses to stock steel (or plaswad) says he can't sell it. That leaves me a few options, Just Cartridges on line or Nevilles at Alfreton an hour away.

Or just use lead fibrewad in 21gram or 28gram Lyalvale express and 32gram Clear Pigeon. 

11 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

I’m a bit confused as to what you’d use then for. Given the options of Express and Clear pigeon .... a 3” duck cartridge isn’t a sensible alternative to either.

All my RFD sells is the above. I'm looking for an alternative to lead to try, mostly for corvids. My semi does not recycle anything less than a 3" cartridge, (70mm) regardless of charge.

Using 28gram Lyalvale, I often find pricked birds, occasionally clear pigeon leaves pricked Corvids but mostly drops pigeon dead.

I like to explore my options, not be restricted to what a dealer can buy cheap and move on quick.

Some dealers and shooters have fixed opinions on everything and are not willing to broaden their horizons or try new. A bit like me with new electronic technology 😄

I've been using RC Atomic Steel in 34g 3 shot for a while now. Yes they work very well, but I wouldn't say any better than gamebore steel. They do however feel nicer to shoot than Eley Lightning cartridge.

If you can get a decent discount buy a couple of thousand of them, they will be a good cartridge as all Winchester's offerings are. The 440ms is roughly 1450fps.

6 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Best stock up somewhere decent when you’re passing then!

I’m quite lucky in that I’ve a great dealer just down the road.

My RFD has his shop less than a 1000yards away and lives even closer, we're great friends, but he can only order what he can move to maintain a turnover. 

He's never let me forget buying in Lyalvale 30gram pigeon in plaswad and although I bought 1000 he still has 750 to move. 1 slab in 12 months sold!

Since switching to the semi, as they're 65mm they don't recycle. 

I'm slowly using them when I take the SBS.

10 minutes ago, figgy said:

I've been using RC Atomic Steel in 34g 3 shot for a while now. Yes they work very well, but I wouldn't say any better than gamebore steel. They do however feel nicer to shoot than Eley Lightning cartridge.

If you can get a decent discount buy a couple of thousand of them, they will be a good cartridge as all Winchester's offerings are. The 440ms is roughly 1450fps.

Thank you👍

Guest cookoff013
8 hours ago, figgy said:

Yup. I hear they are great.

ATB

Coo

On 02/09/2020 at 09:46, Centrepin said:

BASC are plugging steel and Browning advertise this steel shot through BASC. 

I use steel on clays cos its el cheapo, so by the power of BASC/Browning advertising its has me and I presume others looking at alternatives.

So I guess he meant im thick enough to be suckered into an ad.

Before Robertt jumps in offended, the last paragraph was tongue in cheek.🤐😁

Advertise it through BASC? where? 

On 05/09/2020 at 09:33, Centrepin said:

All my RFD sells is the above. I'm looking for an alternative to lead to try, mostly for corvids. My semi does not recycle anything less than a 3" cartridge, (70mm) regardless of charge.

Using 28gram Lyalvale, I often find pricked birds, occasionally clear pigeon leaves pricked Corvids but mostly drops pigeon dead.

I like to explore my options, not be restricted to what a dealer can buy cheap and move on quick.

Some dealers and shooters have fixed opinions on everything and are not willing to broaden their horizons or try new. A bit like me with new electronic technology 😄

70mm is 2 3/4".

Also, it is you that is pricking the birds, not the cartridges.