Fenland Pigeon

la bala

I went out late this afternoon to get a friend a couple of rabbits. I dont think I have ever seen so many pigeon on the stubbles, nearly every field had feeding  birds and strong flightlines with heavy traffic. I can see big days ahead for some. Fenland certainly has good numbers at the moment.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Balotelli said:

Yeah, I think that you have our lot from Leicestershire and I actually think that's true. There's nothing on the stubble in my neck of the woods. No doubt Mellors has located them with his experienced eyes.

There's plenty about ive had two days off in the last fortnight. And from your said location your definitely not far from my area if not overlapping. 

You say you go on an estate locally I can think of only two in your area and one of them is more than covered by shooters. 

7 hours ago, mellors said:

There's plenty about ive had two days off in the last fortnight. And from your said location your definitely not far from my area if not overlapping. 

You say you go on an estate locally I can think of only two in your area and one of them is more than covered by shooters. 

If you see a dark green defender in Derbyshire/ Leicestershire on Osmaston Estate in particular  then that's me. Just what is your average bag?

Just now, Balotelli said:

If you see a dark green defender in Derbyshire/ Leicestershire on Osmaston Estate in particular  then that's me. Just what is your average bag?

Ha OK. 

Thought you were more Kegworth Donnington area. 

Running steady between 20 and 50.  No big days so far since may. Try to get settled somewhere by 12.30 and 1  seems the best time now. Pack up 6.30 ish. 

That's very good going. Judging from your previous post it would appear that you are lucky enough to get out most days and therefore in a good position to find them. I just can't get the time off work and have to target my forays. Neither can I afford the fuel on fruitless adventures as the Defender is a thirsty beast. Maybe I need to compromise with a more economical vehicle. Any recommendations would be gratefully received.

19 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

That's very good going. Judging from your previous post it would appear that you are lucky enough to get out most days and therefore in a good position to find them. I just can't get the time off work and have to target my forays. Neither can I afford the fuel on fruitless adventures as the Defender is a thirsty beast. Maybe I need to compromise with a more economical vehicle. Any recommendations would be gratefully received.

That's what comes with early retirement if you plan it right. I've had land rovers for over 30 years. Good job they stopped making the when I sold the last one bought a new pickup never looked back. But my fuel costs are still something I never tell her indoors 🤫. Even though I know where there are pigeon I still spend 2 or 3 hours a day looking round just in case I've missed something. As for kit and cartridges we best not go there. 

3 hours ago, mellors said:

That's what comes with early retirement if you plan it right. I've had land rovers for over 30 years. Good job they stopped making the when I sold the last one bought a new pickup never looked back. But my fuel costs are still something I never tell her indoors 🤫. Even though I know where there are pigeon I still spend 2 or 3 hours a day looking round just in case I've missed something. As for kit and cartridges we best not go there. 

It seems that you are mighty lucky in having such an understanding missus! Does she know that you have retired or does she think that you are still leaving for work? 

54 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

It seems that you are mighty lucky in having such an understanding missus! Does she know that you have retired or does she think that you are still leaving for work? 

Never had a problem. Well trained. Shame rained off today but ready for tomorrow. 

13 hours ago, mellors said:

Never had a problem. Well trained. Shame rained off today but ready for tomorrow. 

Best of luck -  a bit soggy but needs must. Incidentally, judging by the bags  of pigeons shot, 20-50 on each of 12 consecutive days , how do you move the pigeons on? My estate had contacts with game-dealers who would take them for no payment but at least I got rid of them. Almost fortunately, I've not shot any pigeons for months. Now, since Covid,  the game-dealers won't take them . Goodness knows how the shoots will move their game birds on. 

On 02/09/2020 at 15:52, Balotelli said:

I am not sure that I understand your logic of buying a Defender to look for pigeons then restricting your driving looking for said pigeons because the vehicle is thirsty.

My forays never amount to less than 200 miles per week, sometimes much more. Unless you put the miles in your options will be limited.

3 hours ago, JDog said:

I am not sure that I understand your logic of buying a Defender to look for pigeons then restricting your driving looking for said pigeons because the vehicle is thirsty.

My forays never amount to less than 200 miles per week, sometimes much more. Unless you put the miles in your options will be limited.

Fair enough JDog. If you are travelling the "country" then unless you have a bottomless pit of cash then a more modest fuel thirsty vehicle is required But if your forays are limited then a decent 4x4 is sustainable. I'm on the waiting list for the hybrid/electric Disco to be launched. I guess that if your vehicle could be kept on a single farm the you just might be able to justify red diesel.

2 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

Fair enough JDog. If you are travelling the "country" then unless you have a bottomless pit of cash then a more modest fuel thirsty vehicle is required But if your forays are limited then a decent 4x4 is sustainable. I'm on the waiting list for the hybrid/electric Disco to be launched. I guess that if your vehicle could be kept on a single farm the you just might be able to justify red diesel.

If you can afford a new disco why you worried about fuel ?...for pigeon shooting I drive an 05 Plate L200  not the best on fuel but got good off-road  capabilities .... I have drove 110 plus miles 3 times in a fortnight  to shoot pigeons and have good company doing it With a friend ... believe me I ain’t got a bottom less Pitt of money but I really enjoy pigeon shooting... I am a member of NPPC and most fields I have shot with them are a 60 mile round trip so if you have a perm and have to put the mileage in To find pigeons be great full as us who don’t yet have Would snatch at the chance ...RANT over  enjoy your shooting

5 hours ago, JDog said:

If there are no pigeons on some particular fields then I'm not sure how many times one has to drive by the same old fields day after day to confirm that there are no pigeons on those fields. Was it not Einstein who said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. Unless something changes, for example a particular field has been drilled or cut etc.  then nothing will change. For pigeons to leave or arrive there has to be some change in the equation.

21 hours ago, Balotelli said:

Best of luck -  a bit soggy but needs must. Incidentally, judging by the bags  of pigeons shot, 20-50 on each of 12 consecutive days , how do you move the pigeons on? My estate had contacts with game-dealers who would take them for no payment but at least I got rid of them. Almost fortunately, I've not shot any pigeons for months. Now, since Covid,  the game-dealers won't take them . Goodness knows how the shoots will move their game birds on. 

Most I know have moved to steel now for that reason. But you'll have to look hard to find a regular outlet and keep it. 

I have my own thoughts on game shoots. 

8 hours ago, Balotelli said:

If there are no pigeons on some particular fields then I'm not sure how many times one has to drive by the same old fields day after day to confirm that there are no pigeons on thoseWas it not Einstein who said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. Unless something changes, for example a particular field has been drilled or cut etc.  then nothing will change. For pigeons to leave or arrive there has to be some change in the equation.

Some storm damage flattening crop. Other fields being cut and ploughed so move pigeon on. Natural food sources being exhausted etc. A hard frost. All these will get the birds moving.

2 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Some storm damage flattening crop. Other fields being cut and ploughed so move pigeon on. Natural food sources being exhausted etc. A hard frost. All these will get the birds moving.

I agree. And that's the point that I was making, something would have to change the status quo/ dynamics of the field (s). 

In my area, all the fields have been harvested, not a pigeon to be seen and I cannot see any significant or any change at all happening in the near future unless an atom bomb explodes in East Anglia. Instead of pointless driving around, wasting fuel and time, looking for non-existent pigeons,  maybe an opportunity to spend more time with "Her indoors", if she'll have you. Probably, got used to quality time on her own. 

3 hours ago, mellors said:

Most I know have moved to steel now for that reason. But you'll have to look hard to find a regular outlet and keep it. 

I have my own thoughts on game shoots. 

Most retailers will pretty well order any cartridge that you ask for. Definitely slabs or maybe even less if they can see a sprat to catch a mackerel. Just Cartridges will supply but with delivery charge can end up expensive. And as far as I know, with steel, you need to go up a shot size compared to lead. "Compared to" or "compared with", somebody enlighten me please, I can't remember. Me, I'm ordering some depleted uranium cartridges from the States, much more oomph than steel and without the toxic association of lead.

6 hours ago, Balotelli said:

Most retailers will pretty well order any cartridge that you ask for. Definitely slabs or maybe even less if they can see a sprat to catch a mackerel. Just Cartridges will supply but with delivery charge can end up expensive. And as far as I know, with steel, you need to go up a shot size compared to lead. "Compared to" or "compared with", somebody enlighten me please, I can't remember. Me, I'm ordering some depleted uranium cartridges from the States, much more oomph than steel and without the toxic association of lead.

If you only have the one estate I would suggest some spent time to get in somewhere else. With having others going you never know if they've been the day before. A few shots will push them off for a day or two unless there's nothing else around. 

Regarding steel shot. Everyone's struggling to get it and prices have already gone up 20%..

20 hours ago, Balotelli said:

If there are no pigeons on some particular fields then I'm not sure how many times one has to drive by the same old fields day after day to confirm that there are no pigeons on those fields. Was it not Einstein who said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. Unless something changes, for example a particular field has been drilled or cut etc.  then nothing will change. For pigeons to leave or arrive there has to be some change in the equation.

There can be a change in the equation which means pigeons turn up where you have been looking for a long time. If you don't look, you won't know for sure. 

One example of this that immediately springs to mind is from 11 years ago. I kept passing a late cut bean field every day, waiting and hoping for pigeons to take an interest. After 10 days or so, they had finally got on there. They may not have, but they did. The resultant bag was 246.

Here's a thought. Instead of us as individuals driving hundreds of miles a week, in some cases, would it not be a better idea if we shared out the information gleaned on a recce and let each other know the situation  on different permissions /  or do a recce on alternate days? A massive saving on fuel and time. Wouldn't that be great? And why has no-one thought of that before?