Fenland Pigeon

la bala

9 hours ago, Balotelli said:

Here's a thought. Instead of us as individuals driving hundreds of miles a week, in some cases, would it not be a better idea if we shared out the information gleaned on a recce and let each other know the situation  on different permissions /  or do a recce on alternate days? A massive saving on fuel and time. Wouldn't that be great? And why has no-one thought of that before?

Because it would never work.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, B725 said:

I doubt many people would drive about on behalf of others and how would they know who shoot's where?

If everybody helped each other it could work. But it won't happen. Forum members apart, it seems that pigeon shooters are very secretive and in general will not help one another. I can't think of any other sporting discipline where this is the case. Fishermen will help each other at least to some degree. Maybe I'm unlucky but some of the shooters I am acquainted with are bordering on the unpleasant. They will grab anything they can and "bag" a potential spot and make it known that they will be there and them alone. No sharing of a field. I think that a decent bunch could make it work and I would be happy to pool my knowledge but I seem to be in a minority. As for putting a fellow shooter onto a permission, dream on.

2 hours ago, dodgy dave said:

well thats how it is i have even seen it on the marsh on club land people getting on the marsh at 3oclock to grab the best place 

I still don't get it. It seems the bulk of the pigeon shooters that "I know" are selfish, greedy, unpleasant and can be summed up as the dregs of humanity. Interesting to know whether nature or nurture. These people don't seem to be blessed with the highest IQ either. God knows how they acquire a shotgun licence but there again I don't understand how many people on the road manage to acquire driving licences.

43 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

I still don't get it. It seems the bulk of the pigeon shooters that "I know" are selfish, greedy, unpleasant and can be summed up as the dregs of humanity. Interesting to know whether nature or nurture. These people don't seem to be blessed with the highest IQ either. God knows how they acquire a shotgun licence but there again I don't understand how many people on the road manage to acquire driving licences.

Can't believe that. Selfish greedy unpleasant ??? Never. Obviously fairly high IQ if there finding pigeons and your not. Perhaps give them your phone number and they'll let you know where the pigeon are. Just think all that time looking and learning wouldn't be needed. 

3 hours ago, mellors said:

Can't believe that. Selfish greedy unpleasant ??? Never. Obviously fairly high IQ if there finding pigeons and your not. Perhaps give them your phone number and they'll let you know where the pigeon are. Just think all that time looking and learning wouldn't be needed. 

I don't think a high IQ is defined as going out everyday on largely fruitless journeys and then when you do get lucky,  pick up a handful and then apply the multiplier. There are very few pigeons in Leicestershire at the moment. Those that are, are on berries. Take an airgun.

13 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

I don't think a high IQ is defined as going out everyday on largely fruitless journeys and then when you do get lucky,  pick up a handful and then apply the multiplier. There are very few pigeons in Leicestershire at the moment. Those that are, are on berries. Take an airgun.

There may be other members of MENSA on this forum besides myself I don't know. However going out for pointless drives around looking for pigeons only to be disappointed seems to be the norm. I have many more bad days than good days.

19 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

I bet there are plenty of people in Leicestershire shooting big bags consistently. It isn't a small place.

On 04/09/2020 at 23:01, Balotelli said:

Here's a thought. Instead of us as individuals driving hundreds of miles a week, in some cases, would it not be a better idea if we shared out the information gleaned on a recce and let each other know the situation  on different permissions /  or do a recce on alternate days? A massive saving on fuel and time. Wouldn't that be great? And why has no-one thought of that before?

I have no idea how you think this could be even slightly plausible.

8 minutes ago, JDog said:

There may be other members of MENSA on this forum besides myself I don't know. However going out for pointless drives around looking for pigeons only to be disappointed seems to be the norm. I have many more bad days than good days.

Member of MENSA? Then in that case you should not be shooting pigeons - only joking!

13 minutes ago, motty said:

I bet there are plenty of people in Leicestershire shooting big bags consistently. It isn't a small place.

I have no idea how you think this could be even slightly plausible.

I've been thinking since the op has been on were being wound up. I despair he/she either needs to get out more and learn or take up something less taxing and move on. 

30 minutes ago, JDog said:

When it comes to being a member of MENSA , you will have to count me out as it took me ages to spell IQ . and even now I am not sure if it is spelt right :hmm:

52 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

Group Chat?

I think the problem you’re having is struggling to find/shoot any by yourself, and wanting others to help you out? 
You’re right it is a strange mentality pigeon shooters seem to have in the respect of sharing. I’ve been shooting them regularly for over 20 years and Dad double that and no one has ever gifted me any days. 
I enjoy finding them myself to be honest, and working out where I’m going to get etc. 
I offered one chap that shares a permission to team up but only did it the once as he wanted to bring various mates with him also, although obviously now only one of us generally gets any shooting there. 
Good days don’t tend to fall in your lap, hence why no one wants to help you out! 
I’d suggest you just get over that bit and enjoy the days you can find yourself. 

On 02/09/2020 at 20:38, mellors said:

Never had a problem. Well trained. Shame rained off today but ready for tomorrow. 

Just a word in your shell-like. I had a very good friend who indulged in his pastime seven days a week. One day "'Er in Doors" wasn't indoors when he rocked up in the evening. He never saw it coming and that's absolutely true. The problem was that he was so wrapped in his own little World. It ended badly. His benefits were cut as he was her prime carer and he had to get a job to make up the financial shortfall. As a result of his new found employment, he could spend only a very truncated amount of time on his hobby. There must be a moral in here somewhere.

1 hour ago, Balotelli said:

Just a word in your shell-like. I had a very good friend who indulged in his pastime seven days a week. One day "'Er in Doors" wasn't indoors when he rocked up in the evening. He never saw it coming and that's absolutely true. The problem was that he was so wrapped in his own little World. It ended badly. His benefits were cut as he was her prime carer and he had to get a job to make up the financial shortfall. As a result of his new found employment, he could spend only a very truncated amount of time on his hobby. There must be a moral in here somewhere.

Oh my god, somebody actually has to work for a living, what’s the country coming too?

back to the pigeons,  any day out in the country is priceless even if you do not fire a shot, you have far more days when the gun does not even come out of the slip than you do good days but the good days make up for the no shoot days.

9 hours ago, Balotelli said:

well the ones that make decent bags quite regulary must be smarter than you then,  by going off  what you have been saying about being unsuccesful most the time you go  out 

5 minutes ago, motty said:

I think you'll find they do.

he was being sarcastic motty 

Edited by yickdaz