Motor bike Warrantee

countryman

Hi

just got a bike delivered to me to day and it was not running right and now will not start, I called the shop who are 5 hours away from me and they are going to get there mechanic to call me tomorrow. The warrantee is a back to base one but as they are so far away am I entitled to get  the bike looked at locally and they pay the bill. 
Thanks

I would think a warranty is taken out through a warrany company and it would be them making a decision to do any work under a warranty claim, it's worth finding out if it's a warranty with a company and the terms and conditions, or is it the garage saying they guarentee the bike, if it's just the garage then they would be given the opportunity to fix it, but i would expect them to collect the bike no matter which.
The garage may agree work to be undertaken locally if they think it will save them money and time, See what the mechanic has to say and then chat about repairs. 

Had the same issue with a car. If you bought it blind i.e. bought over the internet without seeing the bike in the flash then you are covered by the distance selling regs. If you viewed the bike previously then, from what I recall, you must give them the opportunity to repair the bike - how and who does the job is up to them. Most likely a simple fuelling problem - not a bike that floats my boat personally - straight four in an enduro type chassis? I've had several BM's and the flying brick was the least reliable. Of course if it's brand new then it is clearly not fit for purpose and you can tell them to take it back - if it's less than 30 days old I believe you simply reject the bike.

9 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Had the same issue with a car. If you bought it blind i.e. bought over the internet without seeing the bike in the flash then you are covered by the distance selling regs. If you viewed the bike previously then, from what I recall, you must give them the opportunity to repair the bike - how and who does the job is up to them. Most likely a simple fuelling problem - not a bike that floats my boat personally - straight four in an enduro type chassis? I've had several BM's and the flying brick was the least reliable. Of course if it's brand new then it is clearly not fit for purpose and you can tell them to take it back - if it's less than 30 days old I believe you simply reject the bike.

Good sound advice, obviously from experience.

3 hours ago, blackbird said:

You have checked if it's got fuel? 

Ha yes, I did think that but fortunately I have not quite got to making mistakes like that yet. They are going to send there van to collect next week, the driver is Going to see if he can sort it on site, if not it’s back to base.

16 hours ago, blackbird said:

It’s a simple way to get caught out it happened to me with a car years ago faulty fuel gauge, by the sound of it it’s not getting fuel if it was running then started boggling,can you hear the pump priming ?

Yes I can hear the pump, it fires but won’t start at all now.

2 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

It's a BM - they all do that as standard, it's a little extra gift from Germany that you don't get from other makers - easily fixed by simply buying a Ducati.

I can’t comment on a Ducati as I have never owned one, but most reliable bikes I’ve owned are Honda bulletproof worst bikes BMW & KTM the R1200 GS was a bloody nightmare, but I have spoken to others that have owned R1200’s & they have been 100% reliable it’s a lot down to luck I think.

Edited by blackbird

Agreed - just a wind up - pretty much anything with Honda written on it is going to be reliable. Friend of mine buys new BMW bikes every 2 years (£16,500 this year) and then rides them all over Europe on holidays or with an owners group, it has loads of different  modes on it i.e. Rain Mode etc but it's still just a twin in a posh frock to my mind.