First time out

Lloyd90

I’ve shot ducks on a coastal pond in the past but this is the first time shooting on the marshes on the Severn River as I have this year joined the GWCA. 

We had two lovely mallard hens come in within the first 30 mins, which we missed spectacularly... we then spent the evening watching an owl hunt over us and coming overhead several times, and listening to geese, teal and wigeon. The marsh was alive with noises and animals but none that came past us. 

The bloke that kindly took me out snapped this pic of Ted my springer and I, I didn’t know he had taken it but I’m glad that he did :) 

F9-D47-D14-982-A-4-CFC-A3-B7-B761875-AD7
image upload

Lovely picture.If you had to rely on what you bag wildfowling to eat you would possibly starve,it's about those sunsets in the photo,the sun rises the sounds of the marsh and the images that you wished you had photographed but just sat there witnessing something remarkable. Usually just you and the dog.Wildfowling is a pastime that once it's in your blood it never leaves.

Hope everyone has a good and safe season.We need to savour every minute.

Definitely a picture to cherish for the rest of your days. 

Rather than buy a calendar from a shop last year I had one made up online full of sporting pictures and a couple of me and my lad, this would make a perfect one for September if you ever think of doing something similar 👌

Edited by Farmboy91

As I often say to people that I take out on 'try wildfowling' visits that our club does or new members, If you wouldn't almost want to come out without a gun as much as with, then this probably is not the sport for you.  As said before, it is the sights and sounds that you see while on the foreshore that makes wildfowling so special.  the occasional shot and even rarer 'bird down!' is the icing on the cake.

13 hours ago, nic said:

As I often say to people that I take out on 'try wildfowling' visits that our club does or new members, If you wouldn't almost want to come out without a gun as much as with, then this probably is not the sport for you.  As said before, it is the sights and sounds that you see while on the foreshore that makes wildfowling so special.  the occasional shot and even rarer 'bird down!' is the icing on the cake.

As much as I enjoy the whole wildfowling experience, for me, it would not be so good if shooting something was rare.

21 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Definitely a picture to cherish for the rest of your days. 

Rather than buy a calendar from a shop last year I had one made up online full of sporting pictures and a couple of me and my lad, this would make a perfect one for September if you ever think of doing something similar 👌

That's a nice idea. 

9-D9-D0-CB9-C132-4955-9987-FE1-CA742-F18

Out again tonight as it was our associate flight so a lot of members out taking out the new members. I paired up with one of the guides who didn’t have a dog as I had Ted with me. 

We dropped below a sea wall tucked with the mud at our backs. 

Two lots of geese came over but unfortunately out of range. Still amazing to see :) 

One of the lads further along the shore managed to drop a mallard and a teal. We all stopped at the nearby pub afterwards for a swift pint and then onwards Home, Ted has had a good fed and into bed in the kennel :) 

3 minutes ago, figgy said:

Bet Ted loved it, my Cocker loves going out on the marsh. Gets a swim and sit with me getting petted and watching all the birds.

Yep he was really good, sat with me getting petted and had a good fuss off our guide. 

Sadly no retrieves for him today. He has picked duck in the past, I am hoping when the time comes he will pick a goose. 

16 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Yep he was really good, sat with me getting petted and had a good fuss off our guide. 

Sadly no retrieves for him today. He has picked duck in the past, I am hoping when the time comes he will pick a goose. 

Mine will retrieve geese from water but will only drag Canada's so far across land now he's eight. He then stands with it looking me wagging his tail. Grays no problems, I'm sure with plenty of encouragement Ted will be fine. Good idea to make or buy a goose dog decoy for him to practice on as the weight can put some dogs off. Don't put him him on a live one first, they hiss and go for the dog, mine jumps around them then goes in for the neck. 

21 hours ago, figgy said:

Mine will retrieve geese from water but will only drag Canada's so far across land now he's eight. He then stands with it looking me wagging his tail. Grays no problems, I'm sure with plenty of encouragement Ted will be fine. Good idea to make or buy a goose dog decoy for him to practice on as the weight can put some dogs off. Don't put him him on a live one first, they hiss and go for the dog, mine jumps around them then goes in for the neck. 

Do they do a extra large / goose type gundog dummy? 👍🏻

We went out yesterday for a poke about. Flushed 1 pheasant and I swung up on a small flock of pigeons that came into the woods but fairly high up, knocked a few feathers off one but that’s about it. 
Ted remains unimpressed with me. 

We were up at 4am this morning to get out on a different marsh. We tucked into a cut away in the bank and sat there from about 05.30-08.00... some of the other lads had success in this spot the other day, but we didn’t have a single duck or goose even in the sky all morning 🤣🤣

We finished off the day with some dummies and water receives giving Ted and the guides Lab some retrieves off the river. The water practice I did with Ted helped a lot with his swimming, but he hadn’t picked off moving water before and was actually hesitant to pick at first... good thing we practiced with a dummy first eh. A few easy ones to get his confidence up and next thing he was swimming right out into the river, picking and then bringing them back to hand :) so well worth getting out just for that. 

Seeing him swim against the current was definitely giving him a good workout to get him fit for the upcoming pheasants :) 

Hopefully 4th time out we will get our goose or duck. 

On 06/09/2020 at 23:13, Lloyd90 said:

9-D9-D0-CB9-C132-4955-9987-FE1-CA742-F18

Out again tonight as it was our associate flight so a lot of members out taking out the new members. I paired up with one of the guides who didn’t have a dog as I had Ted with me. 

We dropped below a sea wall tucked with the mud at our backs. 

Two lots of geese came over but unfortunately out of range. Still amazing to see  

One of the lads further along the shore managed to drop a mallard and a teal. We all stopped at the nearby pub afterwards for a swift pint and then onwards Home, Ted has had a good fed and into bed in the kennel  

Great photo lovely dog that foreshore looks magical 👍👍😆

Lloyd I too was out this morning, had nothing come near enough to shoot.

Watched thousands head inland to stubbles in the distance. Nice to be out still.

Yes Lloyd you can buy goose dog training decoys Dokken dead fowl do them along with the green canvas types you can get from other places.

On 08/09/2020 at 15:06, Lloyd90 said:

Do they do a extra large / goose type gundog dummy? 👍🏻

We went out yesterday for a poke about. Flushed 1 pheasant and I swung up on a small flock of pigeons that came into the woods but fairly high up, knocked a few feathers off one but that’s about it. 
Ted remains unimpressed with me. 

We were up at 4am this morning to get out on a different marsh. We tucked into a cut away in the bank and sat there from about 05.30-08.00... some of the other lads had success in this spot the other day, but we didn’t have a single duck or goose even in the sky all morning 🤣🤣

We finished off the day with some dummies and water receives giving Ted and the guides Lab some retrieves off the river. The water practice I did with Ted helped a lot with his swimming, but he hadn’t picked off moving water before and was actually hesitant to pick at first... good thing we practiced with a dummy first eh. A few easy ones to get his confidence up and next thing he was swimming right out into the river, picking and then bringing them back to hand :) so well worth getting out just for that. 

Seeing him swim against the current was definitely giving him a good workout to get him fit for the upcoming pheasants :) 

Hopefully 4th time out we will get our goose or duck. 

Don't despair Lloyd , the longer you wait the sweeter it will be when the time come when your first duck or goose is finally in your bag , not to put you off but you can easily go the whole  season without putting anything in the bag , of course it make a difference if you live near and handy and can go at a minutes notice when the conditions are just right , as an example , I have got a dvd about the Fenland Wildfowlers and I believe it was the chairman or secretary who was saying he was in the club for two or three years before he got his first duck , I live on the doorstep and can go most nights and yet I still have runs where I blank on 4 or 5 nights on the trot and then have a run where I score each time I go . keep at it and we will soon shaking your hand ( well in the old days ) we would have done when you tell us about your first Pink below the sea wall , GOOD LUCK .