Totally obscene

sam triple

If this is true ( it is in the Sun so take it with a piece of salt ) I find this obscene boarding vulgar , with the way the world is due to Covid , people loosing jobs Etc , how can this be allowed to happen, this signifies everything I despise in the greedy self centred world we live in and also reminds me why I gave up on kick ball ages ago 

47FB75BC-F694-48A7-901E-C205DB99E243.png

Is he replaceable? Or entirely unique? 

People complain that nurses etc should be paid more than footballers... you can train tens of thousands of nurses a year, how many people a year can you train to be Lionel Messi? Probably none?! 

Ed Sheeran is now worth over $100,000,000. 

Adele is apparently worth over $300,000,000. 

Kanye West is now apparently worth over $1.3 BILLION! I don’t even know how many zero’s that is 🤣

They’re all unique individuals who are paid that much on a supply a demand basis... quite simply... if they didn’t deliver the good... and the fans stopped going to see them, then they wouldn’t get that sort of money... but they do 🤷‍♂️

It’s not worth worrying about. 

On the upside, considering he’ll be paying almost 50% in tax (or so he should be)... that’s almost £60,000,000 in tax to the UK. Bet that’ll pay for a few people’s care homes 🤷‍♂️🤣.

The reason these people in the various forms of 'entertainment' including sport, music, film etc. can be paid such HUGE amounts is simply because lots of (mugs?) buy tickets to their games/concerts/films and buy their merchandise (MP3s, shirts, DVDs etc.)

Lots of very ordinary 'hard up' working folk will part with significant sums to have games/concert tickets etc.  That's the way it works.  You can always vote with your feet and not buy the stuff, but people are obviously enjoying it - which is why they will pay the money.

What annoys me more is when the general broadcasters pay big money to the (mainly football) clubs - as I do pay a TV license, but never watch many of these expensive matches etc that the broadcasters purchase.  Fair enough for the paid sport channels where the viewer elects to pay for sport.

31 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

And mugs pay to watch.

Blackpowder

Exactly !!!!

Watched a small amount of the excellent golf coverage on the Ladies Open a week or so ago and a very worthy winner fought through all odds to win BUT the prize money was also as ridiculous as that payment for Messi whoever he is.   The lady walked away with half a million pounds let alone the substantial sums which will flow in from sponsors.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

The reason these people in the various forms of 'entertainment' including sport, music, film etc. can be paid such HUGE amounts is simply because lots of (mugs?) buy tickets to their games/concerts/films and buy their merchandise (MP3s, shirts, DVDs etc.)

Lots of very ordinary 'hard up' working folk will part with significant sums to have games/concert tickets etc.  That's the way it works.  You can always vote with your feet and not buy the stuff, but people are obviously enjoying it - which is why they will pay the money.

What annoys me more is when the general broadcasters pay big money to the (mainly football) clubs - as I do pay a TV license, but never watch many of these expensive matches etc that the broadcasters purchase.  Fair enough for the paid sport channels where the viewer elects to pay for sport.

Exactly right. The people paying his salary are the people in your local pub, your neighbours, your everyday Joe Bloggs who buy the shirts, pay the subscriptions, buy the endorses products etc.

As the expression goes, “Don’t hate the player, hate the game”. Our fellow members of society value Messi more than they do our nurses and policemen.

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Is he replaceable? Or entirely unique? 

People complain that nurses etc should be paid more than footballers... you can train tens of thousands of nurses a year, how many people a year can you train to be Lionel Messi? Probably none?! 

Ed Sheeran is now worth over $100,000,000. 

Adele is apparently worth over $300,000,000. 

Kanye West is now apparently worth over $1.3 BILLION! I don’t even know how many zero’s that is 🤣

They’re all unique individuals who are paid that much on a supply a demand basis... quite simply... if they didn’t deliver the good... and the fans stopped going to see them, then they wouldn’t get that sort of money... but they do 🤷‍♂️

It’s not worth worrying about. 

On the upside, considering he’ll be paying almost 50% in tax (or so he should be)... that’s almost £60,000,000 in tax to the UK. Bet that’ll pay for a few people’s care homes 🤷‍♂️🤣.

Do you seriously believe he'll end up paying anywhere near that amount of tax?

1 minute ago, Munzy said:

Our fellow members of society value Messi more than they do our nurses and policemen.

It always annoys me that people who will spend quite significant sums on (for example) football season tickets (typically £300 upwards) complain about minor costs - e.g. the £1.24 the Royal Family costs each taxpayer for a year.

It is obscene and does illustrate how imbalanced our (collective our) view of the world is.  Obviously there are very wealthy backers behind Man City, but it is also things like the premium that comes from TV deals that allow these colossal sums to be paid.

For every person who splashes out the almost £700 per year on Sky TV, also obscene when you think about it,  or the £300 odds per year on BT sports, that is why it is so expensive.

3 minutes ago, Modafinale said:

Would we not all accept that amount of payment if someone offered it ? 
I would ! 

I don't blame the guy for taking the offer.  Who wouldn't take it?

But I can't support (with my hard earned) a system that takes big ticket costs etc. from lots of relatively low wealth individuals and creates a very small number of very very high wealth individuals.  I suppose in a different way I do pay (by buying their goods) a relatively few wealthy individuals at Apple, Amazon etc., but it is my choice and I'm aware of that.

At the time of the 1966 England World cup win, international level football players were paid around double the national average wage. So about £50 a week. Graham Hill who was a top F1 driver at the same time. was earning much the same

I think it was Jimmy Greaves who said that at the time he was winning honours and FA cups for Tottenham and was top goal scorer he envied somebody he knew who was a postman because he had a job for life with a pension, holiday pay and sick pay.

His win bonus was £10 and that was illegal in the eyes of the FA., it was paid in readies and found in his shoes in the dressing room after the match. Hence the name boot money.