New wall plaster question

30-6

My mother in law had internal walls skim plastered. Some of the walls were not brick, but not plaster board either, the builder said a name that I can't remember ( council house built in the 60 ' s ) , that used to be used to keep costs down. When getting the old wallpaper off the boards were gouged a bit, the builder painted them with what looked like a glue with sand in it and plastered over.

After leaving to dry, plaster was painted with 50 /50 emulsion and water, prior to one or two top coats of neat emulsion. However, there are some patches on the new plaster that seems darker in colour that the paint will not cover.

Will stain block solve this ? Or what is needed to be done.

Cheers in advance.

Just a little bit of warning. I used Zinser in our downstairs cloak to paint over some terrible paint that the new paint wouldn't touch because of the sheen. It down the job great and I was able to paint over that no problem. However, we do have a certain odor in the now - and before anybody says it - we do flush the toilet

If it was white then hope it wasn't asbestos sheet (as on my grandmother's privately built for her bungalow built in the 1960s) as although it is 100% fine if left unmolested and not to be poked, prodded or mucked about with. They did a lot like that in Lincolnshir 100% safe...if left alone.

The other stuff might be a fibreboard or, as I think it was known as, "Thames Board". Which is pretty ,much what Eley's supposed "fibre" wads actually are. Bloomin' "Thames Board". Which, yes, of the face was peeled off would be a light brown like a hempen, or jute, rope colour.

Essex2.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares

We used a steamer to get the wallpaper off. The board was like a grey type of cardboard with a paper outer. So in some places where it got too wet, it started to peel away, then when broke off left like little tufty bits poking out, if that makes sense. The scrapers gouged a bit also.

When the gritty stuff was applied, it was then like a coarse sandpaper.

9 hours ago, rec-baller said:

That looks like a German made board called fermacel.

Its an all round use board made of cement and recycled paper !! 

Fermacel is much smoother in finish; it isn’t textured at all. We used it extensively in various buildings but knocked it in the head as it wasn’t breathable and therefore couldn’t withstand the pressures of injecting Warmcel, and would just fracture. 
A good product in the right place.