New motor

blade

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, motty said:

I heard the volvos were not too great off road. 

I have an XC70 with road tyres on, apart from low ground clearance which the XC90 doesn't have,  its adequate in most situations driven carefully and actually reading the ground ahead. If you never leave defined or already driven tracks you will rarely have problems. Most farms come into this category, most woodlands and some moors. 

However, if you go off road properly you will need a low ratio gearbox  and decent tyres at least 50/50. Driving over stubble, through deep water, getting your gear under remote flight lines you can't walk too, that sort of thing.

Good as Volvo is, and I love them, they're not Land Rovers or Range Rovers.

Range Rover is my choice of shooting bus for 80/90% of the time as I drive over ruts, ascend and descend steep slippery slopes and can cross water over 1ft deep. But sticking to farm tracks the Volvo's more than adequate and should serve well. Just be aware the towbar can dig in and act like a plow.

I love my XC90, it's the 186bhp iirc but that could be 168bhp and though not fast it's perfect for my needs. Comfy decent enough on fuel and nice and big inside. Goes where I need it too on shoots, being permanent four wheel drive great in snow. Been very reliable and now has over 168.000 miles on it and runs very well.

Edited by figgy