Today , been mainly....

boo

On 4 September 2020 at 12:53, boo said:

Done these two this morning, originally bent 6 pieces of horn in one go , got one left going on an ash twister hopefully....

20200904_123403.jpg

On 3 September 2020 at 14:51, boo said:

Just finishing off these 3 , coat of sealer next , crook in buffalo on a stripped chestnut shank , a market/ walker on a hazel shank and lastly a nose out buffalo on a blackthorn with rams horn & buffalo spacers....do for today ....

20200903_140057.jpg

20200903_140105.jpg

Some lovely work there Boo.

May I ask where you obtain the buffalo horn ? I want to try a market stick with angled joint on hazel, but the already shaped buffalo horn seems very expensive, about £30. Do  you get the horn and shape it yourself. Cannot remember from your previous posts.

Thanks,

OB

On 04/09/2020 at 07:41, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Today, been mainly copying Ditchman's lead in line!

got me quite worried...........thought i was posting stuff that i didnt know i did.............:lol:

its all far too good a quality to warrant "im mainly ..............".......thread

Just a quicky, nice little stripped ash twister with a roe antler top , makes a ok light stick , the buffalo came from highland horn before closing down , bit the bullet and bought a bulk off him , pity there gone , great place to shop for stickmaking supplies , the preformed ones are very expensive! Plus not guaranteed crack or split free ! But since no regular supplier into the uk , your stumped ! I cut and bend the horn myself, got 3 bending jigs , takes a while but works ok , generally do a batch at a time in the boiler....

20200906_105348.jpg

This was the last of buffalo batch , fitted to an ash twister , stripped, wanted to try something different, so charred it using a blow torch ! Then cut back & sealed , its different bit marmite ! But actually looks better in real life...

20200906_105846.jpg

Looks good to me.  Try cutting some strips of foil and wrapping those around the shank in a twist, then give the stick the blow torch treatment. That could make an interesting effect.

Some thick baler string may also work. It would just protect the surface enough to give a line.  I'm full of stupid ideas, ignore me.

• 2 weeks later...

i made a few sticks with the antler pointing down ...so they were like a shepards crook..........these were made by request for older beaters and dog handlers ...so when they went thro deep ditches they could use the antler crook as a hook and help pull themselves up the other ditch bank.......

For old boggy ! Two pieces of fallow, inlaid the crowns with a bit of abalone shell & fly badge glassed in , both going on blackthorn shanks , be Monday onwards, other is a churchill with brass spacers , looks quite good

Screenshot_20200919-154756_Gallery.jpg

20200918_125116.jpg

Oh the crowns not finished, need shaping & polishing, blue tac was used as the mould...

Very nice Boo. Do you use the plastic or set them in resin? Not yet tried the plastic and have had mixed results with resin.

I do like the effect that the brass spacers give. Very classy.

Just doing a couple of thumb sticks now so will look out some brass as I would like to try your idea.

Thanks for sharing.

OB

Its resin Chris , found it ok , likes to be warm , when mixing leave for a bit bubbles will rise out till clear or gently hot air gun, let it set for a good couple of days , unless you have a pressure pot ! Could do with 1mm brass sheet ! That's 2mm , got a small piece of stainless & brushed aluminium so give that a go ...

2 hours ago, boo said:

Its resin Chris , found it ok , likes to be warm , when mixing leave for a bit bubbles will rise out till clear or gently hot air gun, let it set for a good couple of days , unless you have a pressure pot ! Could do with 1mm brass sheet ! That's 2mm , got a small piece of stainless & brushed aluminium so give that a go ...

Funnily enough, just set another sharks tooth in resin and it’s worked really well. Previously I think it was too cold in the shed (last winter) and it took an age to go off.

Just found some brass sheet, so off we go.

OB