Shot / bead / sand blasting

Gordon R

My youngest has bought some cast iron bench ends. They have a couple of layers of old paint on them and he wants to renovate them and put some decent wood on.

He rang to ask how much sandblasting would cost. My first reaction was to use paint stripper. He has already tried Nitromors - useless. I did suggest using my needle scaler, with a blowtorch to get out any intricate bits. He quickly dismissed my brilliant suggestion and asked where he could get it done. I can see where this is going - I will end up finding somewhere, dropping them off, paying, then collecting and spraying them. 

I would appreciate an alternative or knowledge of where I could get it done, if I have to have it done - 10 mile radius of Bolton

Edited by Gordon R

What's wrong with some wire wheels in a grinder/power drill and some elbow grease? That needle scaler of yours would be great for the hard to reach parts or a dremmel with wire wheel attachments. If he's intent on throwing money at it there are places that will do a chemical dip to strip everything off

lazy       someone else do for me pay £   or you do for free without asking      wire cup brush on an angle grinder about a tenner  or less screwfix or similar      half hour  inc prime  and top cote  over a day or two call it £30 max    or pay   £30 to £40 to sand blast  to cover costs and overheads  for sand blasting        also inc your  time and fuel to deliver and collect   half a day lost         a wire brush and elbow grease pays  not to mention you have refurbished something  a sense of pride       or better your missus saying to everyone  he worked hard and rebuilt that from a pile of rust       on the woodwork   use idigbo the best for outdoors without treatments  a good joinery shop can supply what you need if not get in touch can help on that one 

Hi Gordon

If you take them to ribble technology in Preston, they will strip them for you.  A little further tham 10 mile but they are a good firm to deal with.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiThqWfiM_rAhWxsaQKHQrrDVYQFjAAegQIARAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.paint-strip.co.uk%2F&usg=AOvVaw3Wcp4IHk9Sa2cC9k6InkIf

All the best.

My youngest how now decided against spending money to strip the bench ends. 

Thanks TIGHTCHOKE - I am grateful for the offer.

After spending all of two minutes with a butane blowlamp - he couldn't be bothered finding the propane blowtorch - he decided his presence was needed elsewhere. The ends sit in my garage and I can see I will have a bit of fun with the wire wheel, needle scaler and propane blowtorch when it surfaces.