What do you use your HPR for?

Dirty Harry

Having seen the recent post on Pointers that started the discussion on HPRs I was wondering what people actually use their HPRs for.

I have GWPs and use them for rough shooting, grouse counting and walked up grouse, tracking when stalking should the need arise, foxing, rabbits, pigeon and a bit of crow shooting.

I have done working tests and trials with the one also.

Everything I have shot they will retrieve, even the roe.

9F173DBD-7950-40A4-8E63-56D4CC2283D9.jpeg

Edited by Dirty Harry

17 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Similar to OP. I use my Weimaraners for:

- grouse on Moor

- walked up lowland game (pheasant, partridge, woodcock, hare) 

- rabbits

- wood pigeons (decoyed) 

- squirrels

- foxes

- wild fowling

- vermin (crows etc) 

Same with my last 2 weimeraners, got a GWP in training now so we will see this season, may give her a few days later on in the season, she's still a bit fresh at 15 month and I lost 5 week training due to a foot injury but 🤞

7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Stunning animal. Can you tell us more about their style of work? 

My dogs adapt to where they are working to be honest. On a moor he really does get out far and wide. I've been fortunate to have a whole moor to myself with not many grouse so he really did have to work hard for them. Basically he knows what he's there to do and I just watch him work and wait for the point. He is steady and waits until I get there to flush. He's not as steady to shot as he should be but as it's me shooting over him its not normally an issue.

When I'm shooting with him at home he still has to cover the ground in the big open fields but then we get into woods and spinneys he needs reigning in. No point him going on point when you can't see him. He has a lot of drive so you have to be ontop of him to keep him where you want him and every now and then we have to have a management meeting.

Pigeon shooting he loves but he's a pain in the ****. Noisy and wants to retrieve the bird before it's hit the ground. I don't do much of it so it's more a training thing. Corvids he likes to make sure they are dead. He's been pecked a few times so usually gives them a good crunch, unlike game birds. He's actually very soft mouthed and will bring birds back with their heads up.

He hates foxes and always makes sure they are dead. I've trained him for blood tracking. It's one of those things you train for just in case and the only times I've really needed it I've had my friends GWP or Teckle with is and not him. With training he will switch in to tracking mode easily and when he's on a track would generally ignore bird scent. 

I don't have the option of having multiple dogs for different purposes so I have a jack of all trades. In fact a spaniel would be no use to me as the ground I have is too big and there are not enough birds and a retriever wouldn't hunt how I need it to so a HPR was the obvious choice.

I have trained with a FtCh pointer and it was spectacular. I was also counting with pointers and setters a few weeks back and to be honest when they were all on the hill counting there wasn't a big difference between them, just the standard of training and experience.

5 hours ago, Dirty Harry said:

My dogs adapt to where they are working to be honest. On a moor he really does get out far and wide. I've been fortunate to have a whole moor to myself with not many grouse so he really did have to work hard for them. Basically he knows what he's there to do and I just watch him work and wait for the point. He is steady and waits until I get there to flush. He's not as steady to shot as he should be but as it's me shooting over him its not normally an issue.

When I'm shooting with him at home he still has to cover the ground in the big open fields but then we get into woods and spinneys he needs reigning in. No point him going on point when you can't see him. He has a lot of drive so you have to be ontop of him to keep him where you want him and every now and then we have to have a management meeting.

Pigeon shooting he loves but he's a pain in the ****. Noisy and wants to retrieve the bird before it's hit the ground. I don't do much of it so it's more a training thing. Corvids he likes to make sure they are dead. He's been pecked a few times so usually gives them a good crunch, unlike game birds. He's actually very soft mouthed and will bring birds back with their heads up.

He hates foxes and always makes sure they are dead. I've trained him for blood tracking. It's one of those things you train for just in case and the only times I've really needed it I've had my friends GWP or Teckle with is and not him. With training he will switch in to tracking mode easily and when he's on a track would generally ignore bird scent. 

I don't have the option of having multiple dogs for different purposes so I have a jack of all trades. In fact a spaniel would be no use to me as the ground I have is too big and there are not enough birds and a retriever wouldn't hunt how I need it to so a HPR was the obvious choice.

I have trained with a FtCh pointer and it was spectacular. I was also counting with pointers and setters a few weeks back and to be honest when they were all on the hill counting there wasn't a big difference between them, just the standard of training and experience.

It's hard to find video's online of many HPR's working (or working well)... 

As always youtube shows some good stuff. 

There's a video of some HPR's on a training day (Entitled: Shooting over Pointers) Maybe it's just the filming (and awful music) but it's not very exciting sadly. 

One of the better video's out there are some Irish lads with Brittany spaniels, hunting woodcock over in Ireland. (Rough shooting over Brittany's in Ireland). This makes much better viewing than the above. They are working through some thick cover and doing a fine job of it as well. They also appear to run their dog with a bell on a collar... suppose it helps to know where the dog is when out of sight as it could go on point and be god knows where... I know American lads with put a locator collar on some of their dogs. 

They have another video entitled - (Irish Rough shooting, the next Generation of Young gun's) ... handler is a bit noisy but think he is training a young dog. Shows the dogs working some nice thick cover in the type of terrain you'd find in the UK.

It would be nice to see some of the other HPR's on video's like this. Most of them are put up by American's these days. 

There's one of a lab and a GWP rough shooting (again in Ireland) but the dog doesn't seem to point and just runs about flushing as it goes (being used as a lab/spaniel really). 

Edited by Lloyd90

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

It's hard to find video's online of many HPR's working (or working well)... 

As always youtube shows some good stuff. 

There's a video of some HPR's on a training day (Entitled: Shooting over Pointers) Maybe it's just the filming (and awful music) but it's not very exciting sadly. 

One of the better video's out there are some Irish lads with Brittany spaniels, hunting woodcock over in Ireland. (Rough shooting over Brittany's in Ireland). This makes much better viewing than the above. They are working through some thick cover and doing a fine job of it as well. They also appear to run their dog with a bell on a collar... suppose it helps to know where the dog is when out of sight as it could go on point and be god knows where... I know American lads with put a locator collar on some of their dogs. 

They have another video entitled - (Irish Rough shooting, the next Generation of Young gun's) ... handler is a bit noisy but think he is training a young dog. Shows the dogs working some nice thick cover in the type of terrain you'd find in the UK.

It would be nice to see some of the other HPR's on video's like this. Most of them are put up by American's these days. 

There's one of a lab and a GWP rough shooting (again in Ireland) but the dog doesn't seem to point and just runs about flushing as it goes (being used as a lab/spaniel really). 

Just watched that video. I know some of the people there and have shot over the GWP and 2 of the Brittanys. I think it was a novice training day and probably not fair to judge the dogs based on that. Two of the dogs were are now in open field trials and another has a novice award. 

I was shooting with the GWP ad his owner last month on the 12th.

I've tried videoing some of what I have done but its not easy shooting, handling and trying to record at the same time. Also video of a dog running a pattern in a big field is a bit boring. If you search for Hunter the German Wirehaired Pointer on YouTube I put a couple of videos on there. Some are shooting, some are just for fun.

Have a look at some of the videos from Scott Linden or The Flush on YouTube. Quite a few HPRs on there but hunting in the USA so generally the dogs do not flush, but the pointers and setters retrieve.

7 hours ago, Dirty Harry said:

Just watched that video. I know some of the people there and have shot over the GWP and 2 of the Brittanys. I think it was a novice training day and probably not fair to judge the dogs based on that. Two of the dogs were are now in open field trials and another has a novice award. 

I was shooting with the GWP ad his owner last month on the 12th.

I've tried videoing some of what I have done but its not easy shooting, handling and trying to record at the same time. Also video of a dog running a pattern in a big field is a bit boring. If you search for Hunter the German Wirehaired Pointer on YouTube I put a couple of videos on there. Some are shooting, some are just for fun.

Have a look at some of the videos from Scott Linden or The Flush on YouTube. Quite a few HPRs on there but hunting in the USA so generally the dogs do not flush, but the pointers and setters retrieve.

I wasn’t saying those individual dogs weren’t exciting to watch, more that particular video on that one day... point I was making a was that if someone is interested in the HPR’s breeds and wants to see their style of work, it’s a shame that that video Is one of very few they are likely to come across. 

Goad to hear the dogs have done so well. I’m not surprised as considering the owners were putting in the work to attend training days etc they have obviously continued to put in the work to keep them getting better and better. 

I have watched and enjoyed the flush. It seems very different to the U.K. though and also some of the dog work leaves a lot to be desired. Several episodes I am surprised they didn’t shoot their own dog/S. 

I’ll try and take a look at Scott Linden and some of your videos :) ... Jaseon Atkinson did post some very good (but short) clips on Facebook, working his HWV on what looked like Yorkshire Dales. Long reedy ground with plenty rabbits and some pheasants. Cracking dog and a pleasure to watch :)

On 05/09/2020 at 21:03, Lloyd90 said:

I watched the video of your GWP ... when he hits scent and turns sharply before going rigid on point is outstanding 👍🏻

Would love to see more of that. 

Thanks. That was on a hare if it’s the one where he’s running hard. 
I never tire of that and I get more out of the dog work than actually shooting. 

I will try and borrow a GoPro and harness one day this season, that’s probably the best way to see them work - unless you can shoot over some. 

7 hours ago, Dirty Harry said:

Thanks. That was on a hare if it’s the one where he’s running hard. 
I never tire of that and I get more out of the dog work than actually shooting. 

Where are these videos?

Training a young wire the now, would love to get it up to FT standard, so will keep it purely for pointing work intially.

Done a few grouse counting test with my last wire but couldn't get it up that next step to FT standard, well the standard I wanted it it.

My previous wire had a hell off a drive possibly too much for my 1st hpr. 

When I see wot level I get it to and then decide if going to join my picking up pack and also for deer work.

Also rehomed a mongral lab/wire cross a few years ago, must admit it's nothing special, does a job but never really seen a decent X of those breeds that a pure bred wouldn't do.

My pure labs range further and hunt harder than it, but I did spend a bit off time steadying it up, came back with it 1 day I was down at grouse for nowt.

Was fairly wild and very hard mouthed when I got it, .still a bit hard mouthed but a lot better. Gave him his 1st season off to retrain him as he worked the full season previously but was wild.

Have been lucky enough to shot over and pick up beside a few Ftch now, absolute joy to shoot over. Esp when u see them on open ground.

But u still see them on a keepers day beating woods on their own before anyone else has started!! 

I realise not trained for that, but u always hope to be in there team when keepers day comes around.

14 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I will try and borrow a GoPro and harness one day this season, that’s probably the best way to see them work - unless you can shoot over some. 

Where are these videos?

YouTube, Hunter the German Wirehaired Pointer.

GoPros are great but you can't appreciate distance on the videos very much. I've got a head mount for it and one for the dog. Great seeing it from their point of view.

Edited by Dirty Harry

3 hours ago, scotslad said:

Training a young wire the now, would love to get it up to FT standard, so will keep it purely for pointing work intially.

Done a few grouse counting test with my last wire but couldn't get it up that next step to FT standard, well the standard I wanted it it.

My previous wire had a hell off a drive possibly too much for my 1st hpr. 

If you are serious about having a trial dog I'd make an effort to speak to one of the top trailers and get some training tips. Personally I think you need to keep it as a trial dog and don't shoot over it yourself. Take it out, have someone shoot one bird over it put the dog away. You need to be able to put it on birds a lot and make sure its steady as a rock. My dog was rock solid until I started shooting over him and it all went Pete Tong, but he's a great walked up shooting dog, which is what I really want.

Cheers DH

Aye trained with quite a few top trainers with my last 1 and went to training wknds etc, also done quite a bit with normal gundog pro trainers/A panel judges etc. Pick up with a few on different shoots. Quite lucky in this area quite a few good 1s about and all very friendly

Done some hpr club days but was never that impressed with the standard off advice. A wee bit old fashioned

My old head keeper is doing very well with trialling hprs and has made a few up over last few years

Always meant to go down for some training with andy cullen, was meant to go years ago when he was still up the road.

Mibbee next year 

Lucky to have access to a few grouse moors and my own shoot, hopefully going to set it up next year just the the hpr and rear some pheasants and Grey's under broodies. Got a couple off decent snipe bogs on it too.

Is ideal pointing ground, had quite a few come on shoot days in the past but I have to say most were rubbish/poor and just a pain working with other dogs, going on false ponts all over place and then having to hold the line up or other dogs learning to steal there point and flush game

I will hopefully keep it just for the FT if it gets to that standard if not will relegate it to picking up pack, and stalking have a go at getting it on the Ukdtr register.