Scope advice

Centrepin

My son has his FAC interview on 8th September. Subject to successful completion he has already decided on 3 guns, with telescopic scopes.

I'm looking for advice on a scope for Christmas. I know very little about modern technology. 

So should I be looking at a Range finder? Night vision? Or Thermal imaging ?

Any particular makes or models in fact anything at all will point me in the right direction.

👍

Sorry, I think he's buying telescopic sights at the same time as the rifles.

.22 Rimfire, Target shooting, Rats and other small vermin. 

177 HMR Unsure on this one, but Target, Rabbits, Pigeon, Corvids and possibly Fox and other vermin. 

.243, Deer Stalking and High seat. Other in time.

Permissions already in place for all above except 243 which is high seat only.

What I'm after is advice on additions "to". ie: A range finder, possibly hand held rather than mounted 

A night vision or thermal imager to replace a day time telescopic sight or possibly hand held.

At the moment all he has is a large Police approved FAC safe, several permissions and a request for 3 differant calbre rifles.

Neither of us have ever used a range finder and are only conversant with Military thermal imagers and night sites. This "site" thing is a whole new world.

OK. Not being funny .but if he /you are new to Fac guns .you really should be doing at least 6 months to a year of shooting them during daylight .no nocturnal forays  until you know your way around each gun , ammo  ,the land  and your quarry .

There is SO SO much to learn and the chance of a BIG mistake happening goes up 1000 % at night .

Don't rush in learn your craft slowly .

10 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

OK. Not being funny .but if he /you are new to Fac guns .you really should be doing at least 6 months to a year of shooting them during daylight .no nocturnal forays  until you know your way around each gun , ammo  ,the land  and your quarry .

There is SO SO much to learn and the chance of a BIG mistake happening goes up 1000 % at night .

Good post Sir.

11 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

I appreciate your post and agree entirely with it. 

This will be his first FAC although he has previous Military experience, has been shooting with me since around 10 years old. I gave up in the early 2000s due to work pressure, although to be fair, outside the Army havd never hunted on my own at night. 

He has the offer of a once or twice weekly mentoring session, work permitting, from the owner of the shooting rights in order to gain supervised experience and hopefully within a year an open ticket.

It's not an undertaking he's taking lightly and we've spent over a year setting up permissions, gaining trust and respect from land owners, farmers and owners of shooting rights. He regularly beats, picks up, shoots, shoots vermin inside barns with air rifles and although I'm obviously biased has an excellent reputation in the local shooting community and has done for around 5 years. Little compared to some, but he has actually been asked to get a FAC to help on some of his perms as Air rifle and shotgun are insufficient. He already deer stalks under supervision in Scotland. 

I want to support him as any Father would, despite him being nearly 40 and running his own business. 

I consider myself a safe handler of firearms of all types and I'm an ex skill at arms instructor, shooting coach, (not shotguns), and am range qualified. However, I consider him safer than me.

This for him is an excellent opportunity to gain experience and take a step upwards in his shooting. 

10 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Rimmie and HMR a Pard 007 night vision add on, the 243 a decent range finder, the 007 will need side focus or AO scopes 

Thanks I'll take a look at the Pard

23 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Ill throw these in there 

Forget thermal for now

Nv everybody raves on about pards, I know nothing but some members on here help me out via pm so might help out here as well 

Scopes 

LR, 3-9X40 Nikko or hawke 

Hmr - hawke vantage sf 6-24x44. Great scope. 

.243 - s&b, kahles 

Thank you👍 I'll look into all recommendations