PACKHAM AND WASPS.

DUNKS

1 hour ago, moondoggy said:

You don’t keep bees then?

Wasps are a pain in the bum. I should know, I have sat on a wasp twice (not the same wasp).

I don't no, I know wasps eat plenty of bugs in the garden,  and are currently enjoying wind fall plums in my garden, I clean up every chance I get but leave a few for the butterflies and wasps, it's not near the house so no problem. 

I've been on this planet 34 years and never had a wasp sting. Until Thursday. We had a chipping job to do from some already felled ash and the only way to get the stuff to said chipper was straight past a wasp nest. Three times on one leg! Why are they so good at getting you on the bum?!

So moral of the story. Chainsaw PPE. good protection from chainsaws, rubbish protection from wasps.

I bore them plenty of malice at the time, but I've got no long term beef with them. Just part of an extraordinarily varied invertebrate world we have in this country. we have over 7,000 species of wasp, so it's probably time we just got used to them! Compared to some of the world's insect sting perils, we've got it light here (aside from allergies). No bullet ants, no tarantula hawk wasps, no warrior wasps. It's all a bit tame here!

18 hours ago, fatchap said:

Without wasp's you wouldn't have figs at Christmas, as wasps are the only insect that pollinates the fig tree. Hardly justifies the existence of wasp's if like me you don't like figs either.

We've got two fig trees along side the garage and the wasps consume as many as they pollinate as far as I can see 😂

Although given the size of the trees now it won't be long before they undermine the garage so that will be the end of the figs anyway.