Buying a shotgun between certificates

Shadowchaser

I'm going to purchase a new gun this month with my current certificate expiring on the 21st and my new one which I have kicking in on the 22nd.

If I bought the gun now - in this limbo period - I wouldn't want it on my current (old) certificate - since that's about to expire and the guns listed on it are now listed on my new certificate.

Would a seller wish to put the details down on my new certificate even though it's not valid yet? 

I know the police wouldn't know - they would just receive the letter that I've purchased a gun - so would it matter?

I'd be interested if this has come up for people before.

1 hour ago, Shadowchaser said:

I'm going to purchase a new gun this month with my current certificate expiring on the 21st and my new one which I have kicking in on the 22nd.

If I bought the gun now - in this limbo period - I wouldn't want it on my current (old) certificate - since that's about to expire and the guns listed on it are now listed on my new certificate.

Would a seller wish to put the details down on my new certificate even though it's not valid yet? 

I know the police wouldn't know - they would just receive the letter that I've purchased a gun - so would it matter?

I'd be interested if this has come up for people before.

There's nothing to stop you purchasing the shotgun now, as your licence is still valid. The police will know you've bought it through the notification you'll send them. The shotgun would then be added on your renewed certificate in five years time, should you still own it. 

You may also find that even though your new licence is due to start on 21st, you may not get it back then, and maybe the 'new' one you are buying/bought will be added onto that one.

Edited by steve_b_wales