Teague Choke Advice

Touchstone

Gents,

I'm far from an expert shotgunner being principally a rifle shooter and would welcome views and advice on Teague extended chokes.

Recently, I've started shooting clays far more frequently than I have done in the past as my 13 year old son as become very keen since acquiring an Armsan that he likes to use.  The chokes will be for use in my Browning 425 28" Sporter for a few reasons:

To improve performance and consistency.

My brother has a 525 with 30" barrels that feels nicer on clays than my 28" gun and so the extended chokes might go some way to providing a 30" feel from a 28" gun.

To attempt to protect the blueing on the end of my barrels whist the shotgun is put in and taken out of its slip now that it's getting more use.

I'm uncertain whether to opt for the standard extended choke or whether to go for the super extended.  I'm thinking that if I want to try and get a 30" feel then the super extended would fit the bill better.  Additionally, would the ported chokes offer any significant advantage over unported?

Thanks and regards,

Tim

Hi Tim.

Your brothers gun is most likely a sporter if it came with extended chokes. 

Your gun with 28" Barrels will not feel the same with the super extended chokes as Teague chokes are so thin and light.  visually it will look a little longer but will not feel the same. 

Yes extended chokes do protect the end of the gun and provide ease if you wanted to change chokes between stands... a full set of 5 extended chokes will set you back around £300 ... and you will not shoot any better than you do now. 

If the 30" browning feels better maybe you should consider a trade in and put £300 on top...

you maybe able to get a gun that is 30" with extended chokes .... and if the gun fells and fits better and it better balanced ..now that may improve your shooting 

Good Luck 

Terry 

Edited by Terry2016

As above if you want a clay gun buy a dedicated sporter, it will feel much better.

As your 425 has the short investor chokes if you are determined to buy aftermarket extended chokes. Have a look for some that actually extend the choke taper into the extended portion, not all do. 

If it was myself in your position I'd save the choke money and part ex or buy a sporter that fits and i.like to shoot.

It’s worth a try with the super extended chokes especially if you just buy two - that’s all you need, say 1/4 and 1/2.

Extended chokes being heavier will alter the feel of the gun putting more weight at the front end. This can be beneficial but is down to personal preference. Most people like the balance to be just in front of the hinge pin. You can check this by carefully balancing the gun on a pointed index finger and also compare to your brother’s gun.

Don’t go to ported chokes as they don’t make any noticeable difference and are a nightmare to clean.

Having said all that one thing to consider is that a 28” gun would be a rarity with serious clay shooters today. Most prefer a 32” or 30” for steadiness and pointability.

Thanks for your opinions so far Gents.

I'm inclined to stick with my 425,  even with shooting more often at the moment, I don't think I could justify swapping out for a 30 incher.  I'm following Matone and Chesterse's train of thought and just trying a pair of chokes, probably super extended and see what happens.  You chaps may have saved me the extra expense of the ported jobs if they are a pain to clean properly as I was thinking if I was going to make the purchase of going with super extended ported.

Thanks,

Tim