removing old glue

ditchman

i think the planks are (or used to be held together with horse hoof glue)......it needs taking off and rejoing and clamping ..........

whats the best substance to remove the old glue..........i have already tried thinners....and meths to no avail 

any idea ?

19 minutes ago, old'un said:

Are we missing a start to this thread? What planks? What type of wood? And where's the pictures?

belongs to a mule chest which is several hundred years old....the 2 planks are oak...they or one of them has had a wide split in for 40 odd years...wood has shunk a bit and the glue has parted company with the wood......someone before i bought it put 2 mahogany braces underneath..........but it needs to be clamped together...

i am tempted to use a hot air gun and a bronze wire brush....

rebuilt an original angole poise lamp the other day......awsome...its one my desk now ...not in the shed for the last 12 years.......

just getting stuff done now before i move ...as i might not have the space to do this stuff when i move........house on the market monday........

Strange you mention oak I am doing an old gateleg oval table with barley twist legs, I also had the problem of re-glueing two of the top planks together, once I had split the seam I used a small paint brush and painted hot water along the two edges, left it for five minutes and then rubbed as much of the melted glue off as possible and then repeated the operation, took me all day, I also did not wont the water getting on the top of the plank so I masked the top off first and only applied very small amounts of water.

4 minutes ago, old'un said:

Strange you mention oak I am doing an old gateleg oval table with barley twist legs, I also had the problem of re-glueing two of the top planks together, once I had split the seam I used a small paint brush and painted hot water along the two edges, left it for five minutes and then rubbed as much of the melted glue off as possible and then repeated the operation, took me all day, I also did not wont the water getting on the top of the plank so I masked the top off first and only applied very small amounts of water.

just finished a couple of weeks ago...the same sort of table....put about 5 coats of danish oil on the top .........need to put in another peg on one of the swing out legs...

9 minutes ago, old'un said:

I tell you what, those old tables must have been knocked up in a couple of hours, not much finesse about them, they must have made them in the thousands.

Are you moving to another house or flat? are you moving far?

rabbit hutch bungalow........not far hopefully

my barley twist table ..i rekon was made in the 1920's...and covered in a thick dark brown varnish.....about 30 years ago i spent 2 weeks stripping and sanding it.....the top is a loverly piece of oak as is the rest of it.....looks loverly now..

Edited by ditchman

32 minutes ago, vmaxphil said:

If it's hide glue try a hot air gun and scraper if you can get to it 

that is excactly what i am going to try ..........i wont use a scraper as i need to join together the crack so it lines up.........i will use a bronze wire brush...............dont want to use any fluids as it might soak into the wood............

will clear the work space in the shed this morning and have a go .........might post up the results later..........