10 bore reload advice

Decided to knock up my first couple of reloads, but the crimps just aren’t quite right - to me they look like the stack height is too low.

The recipe calls for 1x 1/8” spacer under steel shot for BB and larger, and 1 under and one on top of the shot for B and smaller. The recipe is from the RSI book, and is #100

The first 2 cartridges (loaded with BB) are exactly as the recipes stipulates (1/8“ felt spacer under shot)

The 3rd cartridge (loaded with BB) looks much better, it has an additional 1/8“  felt spacer on top of the shot

The far right cartridge (loaded with #2) is exactly as the recipe states ( 1/8” felt spacer below shot + 1/8” felt spacer on top of shot)

Any insights would be appreciated 

50308124153_ced6dc5317_b.jpg50308963562_30f6313b74_b.jpg

Second from the right looks ok, rest the column is too low. Keep stacking spacers under the shot to get the crimp right. I can't remember the ideal amount of free case above the shot for the crimp, I'm sure it's online or in your book.

Pick open the crimps with a pen or pencil end and remove the shot and add more spacers. I use a fibre hard card not felt under as it's less likely to sqaush and ruin the crimp height.

Can also use smaller gauge gas seals inside the plaswad under the shot to raise the height.

When crimped correctly there should be a lip down to the crimp of a few mm iirc 

Experiment until you get the right crimp.

Edited by figgy

Thanks lads, I’ll do a bit more fiddling tomorrow and see if I can get them looking better.

40 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

New cases? What loading machine? As figgy said, plus crimps look a little shallow.

yes new Remington cases, machine is a MEC Steelmaster

Thanks Jim, handy tip!

I’ve done a little bit of fiddling today, and they’re looking better - I think #5 is spot on. I won’t be loading any more now until I have some cork spacers to use instead of these felt ones.

from left to right

1. BB X2 spacers

2. BB X3 spacers

3. BB x3 spacers

4. #2 x3 spacers

5. #2 x4 spacers

Thanks for all your input so far

55F4DBB3-A081-4829-B77A-022BCDF831EA455CD5E3-6B2A-4E94-A444-5045438A20A9

Number five or far right last cart is the best but still a bit low, you can see it dips to the centre in the top picture. Try a more spacers to bring it up and tighten that crimp. When you have your column height perfect. Measure your packers and see what's available to buy or make.  If you need a good amount of packing find something to cut circles out of like hardboard or mdf with a hole saw or punch. Could even make them out of paper machet packed into a tube and cut to suit.

I always go a bit to high and can't get my crimp then have to reduce until I can get it good and tight. Over shot cards can help get that last bit of height. 

Edited by figgy

Guest cookoff013

I dont like putting stuff on top. Just dont like it. I sometimes use steel shot as stack adjustment for tungsten reloads.

i actually like using hard card for spacers. But thats me. 

I did think about using paper confetti on top of the shot then crimp. But there is no real way of accurately dosing that.

28 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

I dont like putting stuff on top. Just dont like it. I sometimes use steel shot as stack adjustment for tungsten reloads.

i actually like using hard card for spacers. But thats me. 

I did think about using paper confetti on top of the shot then crimp. But there is no real way of accurately dosing that.

That is the benefit of the cork wads they go into the bottom of the shot cup.

Guest cookoff013
1 minute ago, Dave at kelton said:

That is the benefit of the cork wads they go into the bottom of the shot cup.

yup. 

the re is theory, that inbeddedshot increases the weight of the wad and "could" push that through the shot pattern. 
but, 

if it patterns its good.

Might be easier to use a cheddite case and recipe !

I've always found new remmington cases hard to finish to a nice standard , I use cheddite cases . 

Cheddite cases are slightly smaller as well, 1 1/2 oz bb in a tps wad needs only one spacer .

No over shot card is required neither, light crimp , then finish with a Gaep 10b rto finishing head .

Perfect finish, cycles spot on , kills perfectly at my desired ranges! 

On 05/09/2020 at 18:01, Mutiny said:

Decided to knock up my first couple of reloads, but the crimps just aren’t quite right - to me they look like the stack height is too low.

The recipe calls for 1x 1/8” spacer under steel shot for BB and larger, and 1 under and one on top of the shot for B and smaller. The recipe is from the RSI book, and is #100

The first 2 cartridges (loaded with BB) are exactly as the recipes stipulates (1/8“ felt spacer under shot)

The 3rd cartridge (loaded with BB) looks much better, it has an additional 1/8“  felt spacer on top of the shot

The far right cartridge (loaded with #2) is exactly as the recipe states ( 1/8” felt spacer below shot + 1/8” felt spacer on top of shot)

Any insights would be appreciated 

50308124153_ced6dc5317_b.jpg50308963562_30f6313b74_b.jpg

You need to go with a 2 stage process.

With each shot size and loading you need to refine the 12 bore Packers below the shot inside a wad but outside of the cartridge until you are happy with the conclusion (shot should show 0% to 25% of shot diameter or up to 2mm) of top layer of shot above the wad tips and record each scenario.

Once this is done, you then adjust the column height of a wad by introducing 10g over powder cards or cork wads under the plastic wad within the case to you have the correct height to get a good crimp.

When I mentioned paper mache it was to make hard wads from to pack the base under the shot. Not as confetti above the shot. By making a mache mulch it can be rammed into a plastic pipe to make a hard rod of paper to be cut into whatever lengths required as packers. The mulch can also be used to make eco wad cups.

• 3 weeks later...

When using US data the shot size will be a bit larger to U.K. size and will need a different size packer in the wad. I would load ,say bb shot ,and when you have your crimp right you could use a dowel rod to measure from the top of the shot to the top of the cartridge. This will get you near enough with your packers for your different shot sizes or different loads. If you’re loading for a semi auto you will be better with a tapered finish to your crimp. This is needed on .410 Mossberg, I’m sure the chamber is tighter. The 10 gauge cases are slightly different in hight and internal size. US wads will be tight in Remington cases and go in Cheddite and Winchester a bit easier. If you use a soft felt packer it could give a bit when crimping but would be better with a thin hard packer top to stop the pellets embedding into it . Take your time before you start crimping or you will be ordering more cases. When you pattern your cartridge choke will make a difference, sometimes a more open choke is better, if your gun is fixed choke try a different shot size to get the best pattern. If you are unsure of anything ask for advice from your supplier. Hope you have success with your cartridges.