Mobile phone GPS apps

nic

I am just wondering if anyone under the age of LX are using their mobile phones with GPS apps to navigate when needed across a marsh?

Although I carry a compass (and know how to use it coz i am old) I wondered about putting an app my phone so I could add waypoints of places to cross gutters etc

any suggestions?

Not sure this is what you mean,  but there is an app called What3Words. It breaks down the entire world into 3m x 3m boxes and they each have a unique set of 3 words to locate them. I believe you can use it to navigate to a location from your phone. It is also used by rescue services to locate people.

Edited by BreweryGrunt
Spelling

If it's any help I've just moved over from paper maps to The Ordnance Survey app. Its about £22 for the year and regularly updated. I'm still exploring it but added 3 pictures from it of the first 'marsh area' I could think of. Differant scales all available fir the same price and at any time one press zeros in to your location. For the first seven days its free with full access. Use it buy it, or bin it. I think it's invaluable for the money.

Screenshot_20200905-192512_OS Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20200905-192528_OS Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20200905-192559_OS Maps.jpg

4 hours ago, nic said:

I am just wondering if anyone under the age of LX are using their mobile phones with GPS apps to navigate when needed across a marsh?

Although I carry a compass (and know how to use it coz i am old) I wondered about putting an app my phone so I could add waypoints of places to cross gutters etc

any suggestions?

First Nic this is in no way a dig or put down to yourself.

Personally i use the Map/knowledge stored in my memory bank from many visits to the marsh. Only last season three times having seen the dreaded Flashlights in unusual places on the Marsh it turned out to be ( showing my age ) modern shooter's using modern technology mobile phone apps and maps rather than put the time in learn the marsh the tides the way of the quarry we pursue. Thankfully each time these shooters was not in a place where the tide flooded in from the back of the marsh. Again just my personal opinion i come across more and more who want instant success rather than earn their stripes and work for the odd Goose or Duck also my Battery might be getting old but unlike a Mobile phone or Tablet it won't ( hopefully ) won't run out during flight.

10 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

First Nic this is in no way a dig or put down to yourself.

Personally i use the Map/knowledge stored in my memory bank from many visits to the marsh. Only last season three times having seen the dreaded Flashlights in unusual places on the Marsh it turned out to be ( showing my age ) modern shooter's using modern technology mobile phone apps and maps rather than put the time in learn the marsh the tides the way of the quarry we pursue. Thankfully each time these shooters was not in a place where the tide flooded in from the back of the marsh. Again just my personal opinion i come across more and more who want instant success rather than earn their stripes and work for the odd Goose or Duck also my Battery might be getting old but unlike a Mobile phone or Tablet it won't ( hopefully ) won't run out during flight.

While I do agree and bow down to your knowledge of fowling and the marshes (I have none). I see no reason why this knowledge and experience cannot be gained/learned whilst using modern technology, whilst storing it in the memory bank at the same time, modern technology is there, and if it makes learning easier, I see no reason not to use it. As for battery life, there are pocket portable chargers that will charge a smartphone 5 times over.

Surely any advantage you can get to help the learning process should be grasped.

Edited by Newbie to this

2 hours ago, ClemFandango said:

If you have to rely on a phone to find your way on and off a marsh you don't belong there. 

I get what you’re saying, but arent we better served with more people getting interested in Fowling instead of numbers declining into obscurity? If using digital maps and marking waypoints etc on these is what helps to bring new blood into the sport surely its worth it?

Less wildfowlers means less club fees and permit money used to lease/buy wetlands, and less money for wardens In areas which operate permit schemes. Less money for wardens in these areas means money for their wages and costs need to be topped up from other sources - at what point would they be deemed not financially viable and an easy route to ending wildfowling in those spots (Lindisfarne for example)

More actual wildfowlers also means more BASC members, (taking this at face value and ignoring all of the current BASC problems/issues) which means a higher percentage of wildfowlers to vote for committee members, and indeed stand as committee members

Look at the Natural England Humber Estuary debacle, declining numbers of wildfowlers could lead to more situations like this; lack of use could quite plausibly be used as a reason to not renew consents on other areas

2 hours ago, Mutiny said:

I get what you’re saying, but arent we better served with more people getting interested in Fowling instead of numbers declining into obscurity? If using digital maps and marking waypoints etc on these is what helps to bring new blood into the sport surely its worth it?

Less wildfowlers means less club fees and permit money used to lease/buy wetlands, and less money for wardens In areas which operate permit schemes. Less money for wardens in these areas means money for their wages and costs need to be topped up from other sources - at what point would they be deemed not financially viable and an easy route to ending wildfowling in those spots (Lindisfarne for example)

More actual wildfowlers also means more BASC members, (taking this at face value and ignoring all of the current BASC problems/issues) which means a higher percentage of wildfowlers to vote for committee members, and indeed stand as committee members

Look at the Natural England Humber Estuary debacle, declining numbers of wildfowlers could lead to more situations like this; lack of use could quite plausibly be used as a reason to not renew consents on other areas

Fair point. 

I'll let you tell me that again when you are out on the marsh looking for some poor soul who went out thinking having a GPS app on a phone would keep him safe. 

3 hours ago, ClemFandango said:

Fair point. 

I'll let you tell me that again when you are out on the marsh looking for some poor soul who went out thinking having a GPS app on a phone would keep him safe. 

I think as long as people are aware that these gps/google maps setups are an aide memoire rather than a substitute for actual knowledge then they should be ok, I agree there is nothing better than hands on experience - but if crossings/entrances/exit points on a map are used with a bit of common sense (I know that could be a big ask!) then they could become the foundation for a good level of knowledge on their local patch. I guess the problem with this is that all this recon is best done outside of the season, and a lot of interested newbies seem to leave it until the season has started

1 hour ago, Mutiny said:

a lot of interested newbies seem to leave it until the season has started

One of the reason i made the comment " most newcomers to the sport want instant success ".

Inspite of many years experience and age when i joined a new club i spent hours getting to know the marsh during the summer which is over a hours drive away. As with most things the more effort you put in the better chance of rewards. Again just my opinion i see numerous new faces appear after reading forums etc only see the success reports join a club then reality sinks in it ain't easy success is hard earned then disappear which is a shame because i do agree all clubs need new blood to survive

Please do not rely upon Google maps, this has proved unreliable to myself and another member of this site, we tried it when lost in fog on marsh, luckily for us there was no flooding tide so we were never in any danger... But Google maps had us 1/2 mile out into the main run of the estuary from the location we were actually at

Re: technology. I think it's best viewed as a backup. Don't plan on using it, use paper maps and a compass, and as mentioned your knowledge base. Don't blindly follow what a device has told you, use it to confirm your plans and of course, it's there in an emergency. As for what device to use, modern phones use the same technology as dedicated GPS units, they are waterproof and don't need a signal for the mapping apps to work. Battery will also last three or more days in flight mode which is more than can be said of GPS units. I have my doubts about Google Maps, but have no experience of the app outside urban areas. I've been using a high end smart phone with dedicated OS-type maps in the bush for several years now and never had a failure. 

thanks for all the responses, and I do not take any of them personally.

I am a reasonably experienced fowlers.  I do have a brain and a memory that still work and know the marshes I shoot quite well, despite having moved around the country quite a lot with work over the years, so I have shot quite a few marshes with a number of clubs🙂

I take out a lot of new fowlers and appreciate that their knowledge takes time to build up.  I do think that anything that you can get to help is a benefit,  otherwise we would still be throwing stones at the ducks to kill them 🙂   damn modern fowlers with their bangsticks and clothing made of cloth!

However when boundaries change, marker posts wash away etc it is nice to be able to confirm exactly where you are.  On my local club, we are overlooked by WWT and an infringement may be seen so why not use available technology to confirm.  I am also rejoining an old club I used to belong to.  The marsh is large and I have no worries about walking out and finding my way around and back.  Again the boundaries have changed, it is overlooked by RSPB, marker posts get loosened by sheep and removed by the tide.  its a long view to an object on the shore to gauge your position so does not take many degrees of error to find yourself the wrong side of an arbitrary line on a map..... I would rather be able to quickly confirm.

In response to purpose built GPS units... I have used one in the past and found it was an empty canvas as soon as you crossed onto the foreshore.... ok to walk back the route you came (useful in heavy fog) also an expensive option compared to an app.

i will have a look at memory map as i have used OS maps a lot over the years 

1 hour ago, Bumble said:

The actual OS mapping app is also very good, but you need to subscribe/buy the paper maps & enter the download code with them. 

That's a mistake I made, spent 50+ on paper maps and then read the small print. Less than 25 per year full OS mapping in all scales and regular updates. It's a no brainer for me and I have the entire UK OS in my pocket all the time. 

On 07/09/2020 at 20:43, Centrepin said:

That's a mistake I made, spent 50+ on paper maps and then read the small print. Less than 25 per year full OS mapping in all scales and regular updates. It's a no brainer for me and I have the entire UK OS in my pocket all the time. 

I like to have the paper map for my main nav in the hills & use my phone for backup if absolutely necessary. Maps & compasses don’t have batteries that can run out! 

11 hours ago, Bumble said:

I like to have the paper map for my main nav in the hills & use my phone for backup if absolutely necessary. Maps & compasses don’t have batteries that can run out! 

Absolutely, but to buy the OS maps in two scales to cover the UK is more than can be reasonably expected for one individual. To buy the full app is the cost of a couple of maps and if you have a colour printer you can print out a section or sections to work on. You can increase the size of the printing to take in to account tired or old eyes. The scale is not altered just the size, 1 grid square will always be 1km line to line and 1.5km corner to corner. With the exception of using your compass to measure distance on the map, nothing changes, you can still take a bearing, plot a route. In my  case, I can mark a map, make notes on it, draw in flight lines, mark potential hides etc. When home I can write my notes up and bin the soggy bits of A4 paper. 

It's what works for each person, for me under £25 a year subscription for something updated regularly and as useful as a pair of binos for recces is a must.

Anyone wanting to try it, gets a weeks access free, enough to take screen shots or print out paper maps if you can't manage a subscription. 

6 hours ago, Centrepin said:

It's what works for each person, for me under £25 a year subscription for something updated regularly and as useful as a pair of binos for recces is a must.

Anyone wanting to try it, gets a weeks access free, enough to take screen shots or print out paper maps if you can't manage a subscription. 

Allow me to introduce you to magic maps...

https://magic.defra.gov.uk/MagicMap.aspx

Search for your given bit of foreshore/perm and click in the 'OS Colour Mapping' checkbox.  There is a print function, which actually produces a PDF, which can be a bit hit-and-mess at getting the area you've selected.  You can of course screen capture it too... you can also turn all sorts of 'layers' on and off, SSSIs, countryside stewardship, etc etc.

Ok it's a bit flakey, but for £0, it's really not bad.