SBS day

Centrepin

Met my son on the perm after he finished work. 1330, recce, all the birds on stubble unfortunately on or too close to a bridleway that's heavily used. Walked them off a couple of times and they came straight back. Decided to try and decoy them in from further away so set up a hide where we could watch with binos and hopefully the next walkers or horses would put them up. Maybe a quarter mile, safe distance and just off the flight line. Set up by 1445.

They where put up 2 or 3 times in the next hour or so. I'd set a deadline of pack up 1600, off by 1630.

Eight pigeon, 1 crow all on Lyalvale 30gram pigeon. All picked. Made a change to get the SBS out again. I'd forgot how much of a useful fun gun it is.

20200905_175228.jpg

22 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Met my son on the perm after he finished work. 1330, recce, all the birds on stubble unfortunately on or too close to a bridleway that's heavily used. Walked them off a couple of times and they came straight back. Decided to try and decoy them in from further away so set up a hide where we could watch with binos and hopefully the next walkers or horses would put them up. Maybe a quarter mile, safe distance and just off the flight line. Set up by 1445.

They where put up 2 or 3 times in the next hour or so. I'd set a deadline of pack up 1600, off by 1630.

Eight pigeon, 1 crow all on Lyalvale 30gram pigeon. All picked. Made a change to get the SBS out again. I'd forgot how much of a useful fun gun it is.

20200905_175228.jpg

Well done for getting out and hope you had no ill effects , I shoot with a side by side all the while and now far to old to think about changing , the one I had been using for the last few years fell apart the other week when I had just got a rare right and left and the fore stock was left in my hand after the bottom rib came adrift  , it is now retired and heading for the melting pot . nice dog by the way. 

9 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Well done for getting out and hope you had no ill effects , I shoot with a side by side all the while and now far to old to think about changing , the one I had been using for the last few years fell apart the other week when I had just got a rare right and left and the fore stock was left in my hand after the bottom rib came adrift  , it is now retired and heading for the melting pot . nice dog by the way. 

That’s a shame have you got a spare or a replacement in mind ?

42 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

That’s a shame have you got a spare or a replacement in mind ?

Evening O/F ...... THANKS for asking ....... Yes I had another five in the cabinet , nothing special apart from a fairly local side lock ejector ( Norman from Framlingham ) which don't see daylight very often , a Charles Osborne n / e with a loose top rib , a T Wild n /p hammer gun , Midland Gun Company b / p hammer gun and the one I used today is a B S A ejector , although it's a ejector I still have a habit of putting my hand over the breech to stop the empties from going all over the place so it might as well be a non ejector , sadly nowadays with the low value average side by sides are creating , if they need repairing they cost more than the gun is worth , my Charles Osborne is a lovely looking gun but need good money spent on it , if anyone  want one to do up they can have mine free of charge , P M me for details and photo.    MM

33 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Evening O/F ...... THANKS for asking ....... Yes I had another five in the cabinet , nothing special apart from a fairly local side lock ejector ( Norman from Framlingham ) which don't see daylight very often , a Charles Osborne n / e with a loose top rib , a T Wild n /p hammer gun , Midland Gun Company b / p hammer gun and the one I used today is a B S A ejector , although it's a ejector I still have a habit of putting my hand over the breech to stop the empties from going all over the place so it might as well be a non ejector , sadly nowadays with the low value average side by sides are creating , if they need repairing they cost more than the gun is worth , my Charles Osborne is a lovely looking gun but need good money spent on it , if anyone  want one to do up they can have mine free of charge , P M me for details and photo.    MM

Good job you have a spare 😊👍

always a shame when they are at the end and no longer viable to repair 

at the moment it’s cheaper to get a bosher bargain than having a firing pin fixed 

although lucky the rib came off and nothing worse happened 😊

all the best 

of 

10 hours ago, marsh man said:

Still plenty of choice of guns to use then John. I bet each one could tell a tale or two and has given you much enjoyment over the years. That one that had to be scrapped didn't owe you anything, so no tears there, only happy memories of good times together no doubt. Nice offer of a project with that Charles Osbourne for someone there as well.

11 hours ago, Centrepin said:

20200905_175228.jpg

Good few hours out and realising that SxSs can still be put to good use. Thanks for sharing.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

Still plenty of choice of guns to use then John. I bet each one could tell a tale or two and has given you much enjoyment over the years. That one that had to be scrapped didn't owe you anything, so no tears there, only happy memories of good times together no doubt. Nice offer of a project with that Charles Osbourne for someone there as well.

OB

Morning Chris ..... Yes your right , the guns I have had over the years don't owe me nothing , I have never been in the position of having a gun fitted , it have always been the case of me fitting the gun , in the past if I had bought a ( new ) gun and if I  managed to hit something with the first few shots then over a period of time we would get used to each other and adjust to suit , as for chokes , it was a case of poking your finger in the top of the barrel to see how far it went , if it went a short way then to us it was well choked and if it went a fair way then it was fairly open  and the chokes were never mentioned after the finger test , one of my best guns , was a Webley and Scott , I say best but it was only a plain model and was at the cheaper end of the market , I got so used to that gun I could look at the pigeon rather than the gun when I took a shot, and the same with the second shot if I was firing at a pair , that was the nearest to a gun that fitted me , sadly it ended up at the same place as one or two more I had that reached the sell by date , in the melting pot .

All the best , catch up with you later   MM

The dog belongs to my son, she's a cross springer/beagle. She's fantastic for beating and putting birds up but strangely doesn't retrieve, stands over the bird waiting for them to be picked. I think she doesn't like feathers. She had a broken leg which had to be fixed and I took her to aquapaws aqua therapy weekly for months. She only works now for short periods and the moment she shows tiredness  or limps is let to sleep/rest. Basically like me she's knackered and only does short stints. 

I'm just recovering from blood poisoning and on the top of my other misseries🤣 a couple of hours sat in a hide followed by about 11 hours sleep is the best I can do.

Fresh air i still believe can't cure all, but goes a damm long way to helping.

One of my other dogs, this one likes to sit on my knee when I shoot, dogs eh😆

20200906_122043.jpg

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

The dog belongs to my son, she's a cross springer/beagle. She's fantastic for beating and putting birds up but strangely doesn't retrieve, stands over the bird waiting for them to be picked. I think she doesn't like feathers. She had a broken leg which had to be fixed and I took her to aquapaws aqua therapy weekly for months. She only works now for short periods and the moment she shows tiredness  or limps is let to sleep/rest. Basically like me she's knackered and only does short stints. 

I'm just recovering from blood poisoning and on the top of my other misseries🤣 a couple of hours sat in a hide followed by about 11 hours sleep is the best I can do.

Fresh air i still believe can't cure all, but goes a damm long way to helping.

One of my other dogs, this one likes to sit on my knee when I shoot, dogs eh😆

20200906_122043.jpg

A delightful post and some lovely photos. Interesting comment about gun fit, must do a post on that.