Jump to content

First wildfowling trip of the season


Recommended Posts

I got out my first wildfowling session on Lough Neagh this morning. It's great to be back at it. Any ducks are a bonus.

The video was put together quickly for you Tony (Maxus Hunter!)

 

Edited by Big Al
Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved that. Great shooting and retrieving, the owner of one of my permissions is digging out a bit of a pond as part of the drainage channels in the small marsh at the bottom of his ground so I'm hoping for a few ducks this year. A former permission on the far side of it yielded my first ever Mallard and first Teal so im being hopeful.

Are there many people shooting Lough neagh these days? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

Loved that. Great shooting and retrieving, the owner of one of my permissions is digging out a bit of a pond as part of the drainage channels in the small marsh at the bottom of his ground so I'm hoping for a few ducks this year. A former permission on the far side of it yielded my first ever Mallard and first Teal so im being hopeful.

Are there many people shooting Lough neagh these days? 

Sounds like you have a promising pond!

Lots (nearly too many) shooting Lough Neagh,  especially on the eastern side. It's be good if some showed more restraint and self-discipline early season though.

15 minutes ago, Mutiny said:

Very nice. That stone hide looks well built, did I spy a makeshift seat in there too? 

There's a plank to form a seat for me. There is also a platform for the dogs at the moment as the water level is so high!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Big Al said:

Many thanks- I tend to fish over the summer rather shoot! 


Watching the video last night, having the summer off clearly didn’t have any negative effect on your aim! 
 

What choke and cart combo are you using again? :) 

Dogs are looking as good as ever :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet another great video Al. It's great to see the dogs work so well and enthusiastically.

That clearly is a very special place for you and the dogs and no doubt holds many memories and I'm sure many more to come.

Many thanks for posting and keep them coming. Always most enjoyable to watch.

Love the market stick by the way.

OB

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:


Watching the video last night, having the summer off clearly didn’t have any negative effect on your aim! 
 

What choke and cart combo are you using again? :) 

Dogs are looking as good as ever :) 

The chokes are half and half. The cartridges were all 3" steel - RC camouflage HYPERFAST, Gamebore MAMMOTH and another RC - Atomic line (i think - they're red). I prefer mammoth and HYPERFAST but have more of the atomic so I'm using them up! A bit of a mish-mash I know but I just load up with whatever comes out of my pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Yet another great video Al. It's great to see the dogs work so well and enthusiastically.

That clearly is a very special place for you and the dogs and no doubt holds many memories and I'm sure many more to come.

Many thanks for posting and keep them coming. Always most enjoyable to watch.

Love the market stick by the way.

OB

As always, I really appreciate your comment. It's great to get back out!

The market stick is one of my own. It was the second stick I made. I don't make as many now - I've so many in the garage I've started giving them away!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Big Al said:

Sounds like you have a promising pond!

Lots (nearly too many) shooting Lough Neagh,  especially on the eastern side. It's be good if some showed more restraint and self-discipline early season though.

There's a plank to form a seat for me. There is also a platform for the dogs at the moment as the water level is so high!

On the subject of the hide... about 16 years ago I worked with a real animal rights lunatic and hyper born again christian who told me that while he was out birdwatching around the Lough (and probably tresspassing) he came across these "hides them shooters use to murder the wildlife" and he admitted to kicking them down when he found one. I informed him that there's a good chance he was trespassing and committing criminal damage if they were on a landowners property. He didn't care one bit. The same idiot tried to let some wild feral cats out of the traps that were set in our factory to catch them, minging old things that near cut the hands off him with their claws but he was adamant they would go free. Some people....

Link to post
Share on other sites

We also think its good that you  (and the dogs) are back.

Some slick shooting and as always, I love to see the dogs working so well.

I have shot wildfowl in public access estuaries in the past and many a session has been spoiled by marsh cowboys not understanding the range limitations of their kit and their own ability.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Cranfield said:

We also think its good that you  (and the dogs) are back.

Some slick shooting and as always, I love to see the dogs working so well.

I have shot wildfowl in public access estuaries in the past and many a session has been spoiled by marsh cowboys not understanding the range limitations of their kit and their own ability.

Thanks Cranfield- I watched a few others shooting at anything within 100 yards of them yesterday. It really boils my onions!

1 hour ago, Rob85 said:

On the subject of the hide... about 16 years ago I worked with a real animal rights lunatic and hyper born again christian who told me that while he was out birdwatching around the Lough (and probably tresspassing) he came across these "hides them shooters use to murder the wildlife" and he admitted to kicking them down when he found one. I informed him that there's a good chance he was trespassing and committing criminal damage if they were on a landowners property. He didn't care one bit. The same idiot tried to let some wild feral cats out of the traps that were set in our factory to catch them, minging old things that near cut the hands off him with their claws but he was adamant they would go free. Some people....

Some people is right. If he gets caught by some of the landowners i know, ending up in court would be the least of his worries!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, greenshank1 said:

Great video Big Al 
 

The usual great filming , shooting and dog work and still the ritz of duck hides. 😎

As always thanks for sharing
 

 

Cheers greenshank. The floor of the hide was under 2 or 3 inches of water, so we built a platform to keep them out of it. Still waiting for planning permission for the kitchen extension......

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, butchdickason said:

Thanks, I really enjoyed the good shooting and the brilliant dogs, the wagging tail while swiming made me 😁

Both dogs do it. Real water babies!

 

1 hour ago, Terry2016 said:

Nice to see you back with the dogs, looking forwards to more videos ! 

Thats some spot !

Cheers Terry. It's a very special place. It could be easily spoiled by greed, so I'm careful to not overshoot it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...