Cartridge Foul

chrislightning

I shot some clays on Saturday morning, I used Eley Olympic blue fibre. When I cleaned the barrel afterwards about 6 inches down the barrel there were some really bad fouling, it looked so bad I was convinced the barrels were majorly pitted/scratched. (The fun is 3 weeks old) I took it to a local gun shop, where they recommended some Gun Blend cleaner, followed the instructions with no joy! They also had a go in their workshop, still no joy.

They looked at it with a bore cam to confirm it wasn’t pitting.

I came home and continued to clean it with the solution. I’d say it’s definitely better. But I wouldn’t say it’s spotless. 

Has anyone got any tips on products that might get it all off? 

Also is this likely to be a bad batch of cartridges? It’s really put me off them. 

cheers, 

Chris  

1 hour ago, snow white said:

Put cleaning rod in drill with bronze brush in run it up down barrel where fouling is it will come of I had it happen to me you want damage barrel with bronze brush

this is what gun smiths do iv seen them do it.

Edited by mossy835

30 minutes ago, snow white said:

You can still get Galway brush I have them 12/20/28 bore they are not cheap though 

Yes, you can still get them. However, I'm not being awkward or funny here, but are they the original compacted version or those that you commonly see advertised now? If they are the old version, please, please where did you get them. Also, are they phosphor bronze or brass. One thing that I'm certain of is that the ones I've most recently bought are not as per the original. One problem is is these used to last so long that I've no idea when the change was made.

Should it help the OP in the future, I'm now using a 10 bore brush in my 12 when necessary.

6 hours ago, chrislightning said:

I shot some clays on Saturday morning, I used Eley Olympic blue fibre. When I cleaned the barrel afterwards about 6 inches down the barrel there were some really bad fouling, it looked so bad I was convinced the barrels were majorly pitted/scratched. (The fun is 3 weeks old) I took it to a local gun shop, where they recommended some Gun Blend cleaner, followed the instructions with no joy! They also had a go in their workshop, still no joy.

They looked at it with a bore cam to confirm it wasn’t pitting.

I came home and continued to clean it with the solution. I’d say it’s definitely better. But I wouldn’t say it’s spotless. 

Has anyone got any tips on products that might get it all off? 

Also is this likely to be a bad batch of cartridges? It’s really put me off them. 

cheers, 

Chris  

Eley blues whilst not the cleanest don't themselves leave residue that can't be moved by a mop and wd40.

I suspect you may have fired plastic wad cartridges previously and they have left a residue which the blues have then dirtied up as that 6 to 8 inch in front of the chamber us where melted plastic is normally deposited by the plastic wad.

As above bronze brush rotated in a drill is easiest solution to remove, then polish up (burnish) your barrels at that point with the mop and some moly grease to fill in any micro grooves in the barrel walls.

1 minute ago, snow white said:

Wyberley it’s been few years since I brought mine if I can find receipt will let you now where purchased 

Guessing now, but if it's a few years it's likely that they'll be the old spec'. You'll soon see when you come to replace one. I spoke to Napier about this and they agree that we've come to the end of an era as it were.

Always used Eley cartridges for clay shooting but a few years back they started to get really dirty and my Beretta was very hard to clean. Even with chrome lined barrels the muck would not come out. My local gun shop had so many complaints that it sent one batch back.

Now using Gamebore with no problems, so are the cartridges old stock

Thanks everyone. After a lot of hard scrubbing yesterday I put it away. Pulled it out tonight still looked bad so stuck a Tornado brush through it (happened to have one) and looks to have cleaned it almost perfectly. I think it must have been plastic Lyevale sporters i short and maybe hadn’t removed all of the plastic residue on a previous clean. I’ll be sure to not be sticking any more plastic wars through it very quickly! 

I have a few weeks old 525 XS Pro through which I have been using Eley Superbs plastic wad. They are dirty compared to my usual Cheddites but a quick squirt of GT85 down each barrel, then make a coffee. I shove a piece of balled up kitchen towel down each barrel then push it through with bronze brush. I then follow that with Napier super clean patch stuff, job done. I do exactly the same with the Cheddite cartridges, but I just leave out the GT85 bit as there is no requirement for it.