" im mainly ...." fiddling...c'est moi

ditchman

you may remember...above my linishing machine i had an old lamp.....it was a genuine angle poise lamp...i bought it at the village hall sale years ago for a fiver....i stripped the paint off it and brought it in the house...she didnt like it so it went out to the shed..........welll now she aint here no more i have rewired and polished that sucker up and its in da house now ...i luv it

also got to work on the old mule chest mending the crack.....heat gun and wire brush to get the animal glue off.......gone together half decent and will leave it like that for a couple of days then i will glue it and i will make up 4 steel plates to bridge the join on the back and fix them whilst the plank is still in the clamps.....

thats for another day

the for sale signs go up tomorrow......so i have to get these things done before i move..........

mule chest 001tn_.JPG

mule chest 002tn_.JPG

mule chest 003tn_.JPG

mule chest 004tn_.JPG

mule chest 005tn_.JPG

mule chest 006tn_.JPG

mule chest 007tn_.JPG

mule chest 008tn_.JPG

mule chest 009tn_.JPG

mule chest 010tn_.JPG

mule chest 011tn_.JPG

mule chest 012tn_.JPG

mule chest 013tn_.JPG

mule chest 014tn_.JPG

mule chest 015tn_.JPG

mule chest 016tn_.JPG

17 minutes ago, saddler said:

Good work all round.
Cracking looking lamp

What glue you going to use for the repair?
Boiled up bunny skins for historical accuracy, or Cascamite?

think i will go for something modern.........all the glue is off now so it will be wood to wood .........the glue will hold it together and the steel plates i will make will give it the strenghth on the underside...............took some victorian metal work off and underneath were the original hand made nails....so left it like that.........it dosnt have hinges it has 2 loops of iron as hinges....i will have to do the p-lank to plank join in situ as to remove the lid/plank i would have to dig the loop hinge out...which i dont want to do....

i dont want it to be perfect ...as it will loose its history......just want it to look well kept and functional and looked after..

1 minute ago, Medic1281 said:

That lamp is stunning. If you ever thought of selling it I’d be very interested. 

nooooooooo......................im very taken with it.......the engineering of it and the style and the proportion are all just right....you can see why it is a real syle icon.....i used hammerite smooth on the case cover of the base..........

39 minutes ago, ditchman said:

nooooooooo......................im very taken with it.......the engineering of it and the style and the proportion are all just right....you can see why it is a real syle icon.....i used hammerite smooth on the case cover of the base..........

Exactly the reasons I like it. Absolutely stunning! 

Hello, nice work Simon, interesting that items such as your lamp are very in vogue now and seen plenty at auctions over the years, always think if only I bought this or that, same with old oil lamps that granny used, church fete for a shilling, who made that  lamp and what year ? and good luck in impending move 👍cheers

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

1 hour ago, dodgy dave said:

most off the stuff i bought 30years ago are only worth half of what i paid for them at the time.oh dear . thats the story of my life

i can relate to that.......................you are definatly not alone..........

glued and screwed the split plank together...........seems to have worked well....will leave it for a couple of days and then take down a small high spot in the join....will post up some pics of it then.........

got the first plank done...have done it sypathetically....dont want to hide it just make it nice .....have removed the battons from underneath...(maybe victorian mend)...so the wood is wanting to sit in its own way...i will do the 2nd plank on the weekend......

first plank 001tn_.JPG

first plank 002tn_.JPG

first plank 003tn_.JPG

first plank 004tn_.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Watch this space.. update coming today........im taking my time as im in limbo waiting for the house to sell...so im getting all my nice bits up to stuff and have started to take 200 years of grime of the dower/mule chest so it starts to "bloom" again as if it was only 100 years old...........lots of dirty pics coming soon ...........

18 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Loving those authentic cross head screws!:w00t:

there is a reason i have used them......"those" cross head screws have a parerlell thread....so when i wind them into the very hard oak they go in like a bolt in a predrilled hole...i dare not use wood screws that close to the edges as a wood screw is tapered and would act like a wedge and introduce a split.......but you are right what you say....they are a bit modern...but they are the solution...

anyway ...who do you think i am  Arther bloody Negus....

Edited by ditchman