" im mainly ...." fiddling...c'est moi

ditchman

I did wonder, knowing you, there is a damned good reason!:lol:

Like the look of your furniture Mate.:good:

24 minutes ago, ditchman said:

there is a reason i have used them......"those" cross head screws have a parerlell thread....so when i wind them into the very hard oak they go in like a bolt in a predrilled hole...i dare not use wood screws that close to the edges as a wood screw is tapered and would act like a wedge and introduce a split.......but you are right what you say....they are a bit modern...but they are the solution...

anyway ...who do you think i am  Arther bloody Negus....

No you are the FULL Negus!:rolleyes:

several pics for you.....sort of before and after..........have to do a bit at a time...........i will continue to feed it BLO as it is sucking it up at the moment...for about 3 days  then start to wipe it off and let it harden...it will darken slightly during this process.........have to be careful stripping of 200 years of polish ...i want to leave a 100 years of patina on it...

looking at various chests across the UK this style is around c 1740....but i believe it is older as it dosnt have blade hinges...but blacksmith loop hinges...and has been updated maybe in the 1800's and again in the early victorian era and again maybe 1900...it has been put together with wooden dowels and handmade nails...all the repairs were done with woodscrews....the lock is original ...but i think the esscutcheon plates were added as they are blind and in places where there are no locks..........

will post as i go on...........

dower chesst 001tn_.JPG

dower chesst 002tn_.JPG

dower chesst 003tn_.JPG

dower chesst 004tn_.JPG

dower chesst 005tn_.JPG

dower chesst 006tn_.JPG

dower chesst 007tn_.JPG

dower chesst 008tn_.JPG

dower chesst 009tn_.JPG

dower chesst 010tn_.JPG

dower chesst 011tn_.JPG

dower chesst 012tn_.JPG

dower chesst 013tn_.JPG

dower chesst 014tn_.JPG

dower chesst 015tn_.JPG

dower chesst 016tn_.JPG

dower chesst 017tn_.JPG

dower chesst 018tn_.JPG

dower chesst 019tn_.JPG

dower chesst 020tn_.JPG

dower chesst 021tn_.JPG

dower chesst 022tn_.JPG

dower chesst 023tn_.JPG

11 minutes ago, JDog said:

Will it be an essential piece for your new house?

oh yes.......i will be looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom bungalow to rent with a reasonable size sitting room..i will have 3 or 4 nice pieces in the sitting room so it dosnt look cluttered..and that will be in the sitting room...i have already chosed the correct carpet and chosen the farrow and ball paints...and new kitchen worktop and cupboard doors

but i aint gort a house yet boi  :lol:

for the first time in my life i shall chose the decore that i will live with................i am sick and bloody tired of bleedin' pastel colours...i want colour in my life which feed my soul and i can lick it orf the walls.............got to have something to look forward to...ive been in a dark deep hole for decades and i have climbed out...........god knows what trouble i will cause:lol:

10 minutes ago, ditchman said:

oh yes.......i will be looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom bungalow to rent with a reasonable size sitting room..i will have 3 or 4 nice pieces in the sitting room so it dosnt look cluttered..and that will be in the sitting room...i have already chosed the correct carpet and chosen the farrow and ball paints...and new kitchen worktop and cupboard doors

but i aint gort a house yet boi  

for the first time in my life i shall chose the decore that i will live with................i am sick and bloody tired of bleedin' pastel colours...i want colour in my life which feed my soul and i can lick it orf the walls.............got to have something to look forward to...ive been in a dark deep hole for decades and i have climbed out...........god knows what trouble i will cause

Great stuff.

more or less there now ...the last 3 pics show the colour that i am happy with....still need to clean the left panel and drawer...i will do that and let the BLO dry and apply a nice beewax coat to it.............

a nice fruity deep colour to the wood no longer looks dead...i have also tracked down a drawer handle to replace what looks like a regency replacement on the left drawer....amazing what you can find on the web...........

last dower 001tn_.JPG

last dower 002tn_.JPG

last dower 003tn_.JPG

last dower 004tn_.JPG

last dower 005tn_.JPG

last dower 006tn_.JPG

last dower 007tn_.JPG

last dower 008tn_.JPG

last dower 009tn_.JPG