Bumper year for sloes

old'un

Looks like a bumper year for sloes, been a walk around one of the farms I shoot and the woodland margins are full of sloes and some are grape size and full of juice, another week and I will be picking and pricking.

Not seen a crop like this for a good few years, hope they make some nice sloe gin, think its time for a trip to Aldi for some cheap gin.:)

sloe3.jpg

sloe2.jpg

sloe1.jpg

Edited by old'un

11 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

I remember being told not to pick then until the first frost. I suppose waiting that long risks the birds getting there first 

Birds don't eat sloes, well I have never seen one eating them, have you ever tried eating one? and the first frost is an old wife's tale, same as putting them in the freezer, you just end up with mush and they oxidise.

I look for colour, juice content and taste, never let me down yet and I have been making sloe gin for 40 years and get comments on how good it tastes.

5 minutes ago, old'un said:

Birds don't eat sloes, well I have never seen one eating them, have you ever tried eating one? and the first frost is an old wife's tale, same as putting them in the freezer, you just end up with mush and they oxidise.

I look for colour, juice content and taste, never let me down yet and I have been making sloe gin for 40 years and get comments on how good it tastes.

Do you float flaked almonds on the top of the fruit?