28 gauge

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mickanles yes l load 28 gauge in steel,hevi shot,power shot, hw13 itm and bismuth also lead. There is data for all the loads available and the components are all available. The old hevi shot and itm are still about. I haven’t loaded tss l will when l get some tss 18 just to try it. If you shoot any steel or hevi metal type shot you are better with steel shot chokes the right choke makes all the difference. I have been looking for bio wads or bio wraps for 28gauge maybe someone on the forum has any info . Have you reloaded before. I won’t put reloading data on the forum but I can tell you were to find them. 

Gas seal we should put the recipes up on here with the caveat at your own risk.

People loading their own can knock off a few grains and see how it goes then work up to the data.

I'm sure I've seen loads and data published on American sites like duckhuntingchat.

Edited by figgy

Hi figgy the data for 15 grams steel is vectan AO powder Gualandi h41 wad  , you can use Mylar wraps l buy Mylar sheets in a4 size. I have used this load for a long time l got it from Ian Charton his wife put them on cd disc l think l got I from his reloading manual. I adjusted it to crimp it was for rto . You can buy the loading data from clay and game reloader by email sheet number 21 this is the one Ian Charton made . I used it for 15 years approx. If you have any CSBo powder and itm shot you can get 28gauge data on sheet 23 . Data sheet 36 is for bismuth the powder used was Tk8 l had a word with Ian charlton and used CSBO instead he made it all so simple. I shouldn’t put data on websites. Be careful on American websites they have real loads way better than ours I’ve tried them hevi metal and steel for fillers. When the younger family members come round I will see if they can send photos to you of the data. The Americans are using cases and primers from Europe, they have more capacity, so we will have more data 

Cheers gas seal,

I just think the more recipes we have on here the more people will reload. Especially with long term tried and trusted loads.

I have kindly been given steel Wildfowling steel shot loads recipes by members and both are fantastic. 

Let's face it most loads you could think up will have been used and written down somewhere over the years, so no one really owns the data.

I would love to try TSS but it's not very economical in a 12 bore. 20 & 28 bore it's perfect for.

I also like low rakers for soft woods, the nice long shavings like it's getting planed sharp get through the cut.

Edited by figgy

Hi figgy yes the loading data is out there. Maybe more shooters will reload,most shooters don’t know what is inside a cartridge, this is why shooters are cautious about steel cartridges. I think shooters reload a cartridge for Wildfowling or small gauges. Tss types can be 28 grams in 28gauge or 42 grams in 20gauge. I haven’t used 12 gauge or 10 gauge for  20 years but I still reload them for my son we agree that tss ( over kill ) in 10 gauge. The data Ian Charlton had was his own he told me it cost a lot to make and test loads. The data is only a pound a sheet from clay and game reloader site. Tss should pattern as good as hw13 and Steel shot. I use extended steel shot chokes in 28gauge and 20gauge . With hard shot the choke makes a difference. Loads for 12 gauge 28 grams of tss are on ballistic products web site that would be good enough for geese. The wads have a code but most are made in Italy. I hope mickanles loads tss in his 28gauge Steel and hw13 is as the kids say wicked.