My 100th knife!

Miroku_Dave

I recently finished my 100th knife so I thought I would make something a bit special. 

A lot of people ask me for a Bowie, and i thought it couldn't be that hard! (I was wrong!)

I did use Stainless for this one but used my mates kiln and some aluminium quenching block for the heat treat, a pretty interesting process. The holes are instead of a fuller but i think they also look pretty cool!

The hardest part was shaping and fitting the brass guard and finding a suitable bit of antler but it worked out well eventually. 

This knife was weeks and weeks worth of work and hand sanding but i'm happy with the result. 

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

How do you do your lettering Dave? Electro-etching or Acid Etching?

I used to use Electro etching but found out the hard way that if you have any intricate design to do electro etching has a tendency to melt the vinyl stencil. So use Ferric Chloride now, it also gives you a much darker and clearer image (depending on how long you leave it on). Just make sure you have Bicarbonate of soda handy to nutralise it afterwards or the image turns to rust.

Also if you have a mirror polish on your blade, you can scratch the finish with the crocodile clip when electro etching especially if it moves.

Mr Tilling on Zeds knows his stuff.

Edited by fatchap

5 hours ago, fatchap said:

How do you do your lettering Dave? Electro-etching or Acid Etching?

I used to use Electro etching but found out the hard way that if you have any intricate design to do electro etching has a tendency to melt the vinyl stencil. So use Ferric Chloride now, it also gives you a much darker and clearer image (depending on how long you leave it on). Just make sure you have Bicarbonate of soda handy to nutralise it afterwards or the image turns to rust.

Also if you have a mirror polish on your blade, you can scratch the finish with the crocodile clip when electro etching especially if it moves.

Mr Tilling on Zeds knows his stuff.

I stamped my logo in mate and then got my local engraver pal to laser engrave the '100' on for me, he only charges me a fiver. I've found it rubs off quite easily though so isn't ideal. 

33 minutes ago, Miroku_Dave said:

I stamped my logo in mate and then got my local engraver pal to laser engrave the '100' on for me, he only charges me a fiver. I've found it rubs off quite easily though so isn't ideal. 

Have a word with John Tilling on Zeds Shed, he done me a couple of sheets of stencils A-Z in all sorts of different fonts, Also the chain effect stencil I used on a couple of sticklebacks I made recently.

Acid etching is pretty hard wearing because if you balls it up like I have a few times you need 80 grit to remove your mistake and it takes a bit of work to get off.

Edited by fatchap

34 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Have a word with John Tilling on Zeds Shed, he done me a couple of sheets of stencils A-Z in all sorts of different fonts, Also the chain effect stencil I used on a couple of sticklebacks I made recently.

Acid etching is pretty hard wearing because if you balls it up like I have a few times you need 80 grit to remove your mistake and it takes a bit of work to get off.

I did acid etch until i got my stamp, using the old 9v battery method. I prefer stamping them as its a bit less unpredictable :good:

On 11/09/2020 at 20:00, figgy said:

Very nice, Ditchy would like as it's got a Antler handle.

Love the look but wouldn't like to clean out the holes after use.

I know what you mean about the holes, I put them in as i don't have the ability to do decent fullers yet. I made another knife with them in and its a proper pain in the ****! 

I definitely need to put a milling machine on the shopping list along with all the other bits i need :good: