Steel shot reloads

Guest cookoff013

Guest cookoff013

OK,

so, hmmm. Now that there are a good interest in reloading  steel shot shells. i think it might be a good idea to have a really good discussion about reloading sporting loads for everyday UK species. namely pigeon, its pigeonwatch, so makes sense. this brings me to the cost. Most reloaders either chase top end reloading at any cost, or chase value shells at minimal cost. the reason i`m interested, is i like people reloading great shells. gives them confidence in themself. the cost of steel shells are going to skyrocket. because you the "punter" havent anywhere else to go. 

the loads i`d first like to discuss are 25grams of steel shot, and i know the powders used for that are vectan AS, csb5. these are in the same burn rate. there are many sources for the data. (i dont have any at hand at the moment). but i`ll find it. we`ll do the costing too. so you know what you are in for. both the lee and the MEC can make steel shot shells with the LEAD shot bushings / bar.....

to be continued. 

Very interesting topic to start in the current climate. I think even more pertinent at present is to develop an easy to make card or paper type wad to contain steel shot so it does hand a real advantage to home loaders rather than spend a fortune on the current market offerings for a bio wad. Everyone knows that will be the next stick we will get beaten with after lead shot.

Guest cookoff013

its based on this fantastic concept....
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=406098

here you will find a great write up, of steel target loads, these can be reloaded with larger shot (#5-#4 in steel) to shoot pigeons if need be. the powders that are discussed and data for are not "alan steel powder". these shells can offer great value and better than average performance, compared to using -say 7s steel on birds. the powders are, hodgdon clays, reddot, green dot, E3 and some other faster powder, there even are load ladders for speed selection, so there have been multiple loads proofed, tested. that work. 

alliant steel, probably should only be used for 36g loads + (my personal opinon.)

for faster shells vectan A1 could be used, but its more expensive.

The steel clay loads, start at £180 per k. 28gram. thats a random search for gamebore shells

the steel game shells are about £220 for 32g loads. thats also a random search for gamebore shells.

first we will never be able to compete with the 32g loads, unless powder or  shot becomes cheaper. 

we will be able to cost the 24g #5 steel homeload vs factory clay load #7. 

25kg steel shot £75. that should get cheaper in time as more and more people start importing / retailing.

1000wads £40 or £30

1000primers £30

£145 so far.

now the powder would depend on where / and how much. £60 in powder would get upto 750 shells max with these fast burning powders. (thats a guestimate.)

that cost plumets based on buying a keg of powder. would just pull in £195 / k, but with one caviat a huge outlay.

these would be going on prices from a company that seriously over price stuff. if you have a reloading shop closer. have a word with them. but you the reloader have the control on what you buy. not the retailer. everyone has mates in gunshops that have passion or atleast willing to help. if you have friends who reload or are looking to start. maybe club together. but what usually happens, one guy reloads alot, another, not so much.

is there a difference between 25g #5 and 28gram #7 ? for pigeons.

sadly the wads are not biodegradable "yet". sooner or later bio degradable polymers would be used with existing moulding.

Guest cookoff013

folkestone engineering has aforementioned fast powders cheaper, quite cheaper,

siarm have 25g steel shot wads for 21 euros. 

both of these can strip down the cost. 

https://www.frohn.com/en/products/steel-shot/ this is a shot distributer. i think they make it too. check if you can buy shot from them direct. i`m betting it isnt silly money.

there are limited wads to use, B&P24, gualandi tubo24, and varnplas / helarco/ harpun. 

is this any help to you guys?

https://www.vihtavuori.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Vihtavuori_ReloadingData_Shotgun_2020_02.pdf

Guest cookoff013
14 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

Watching with interest, however personally I hate the idea of littering the ground, countryside or clay ground with plastic wads and the steel wads contain more plastic then even the normal lead shot wads.

it certainly does, this is the only problem. unless fibre cups become cheaper. 
last time i checked they were a billion quid for very few.

3 hours ago, figgy said:

Paper or fiber shot cups are just stupid money.

When you see how little the Americans pay for shot wads and powders, it makes reloading very worthwhile.

We cheap Chinese reloading components.

Totally stupid however with the pending voluntary ban 

fibre/ paper is the only thing available until a bio wad becomes available 

just my thoughts 

Guest cookoff013

Probably importing those shotcups are the way forward. Send one to china, for them to copy, theyll do it. Will probably end up with advertising on the outside. That would be cool.