Who is a lucky boy then?

JDog

Those PW members who read of Jacko's exploits will know that he has no permissions of his own. He has been shooting through the NPPC but his efforts in the field have mostly been through yours truly. We have a deal, I take him out if I have any pigeons and he does the driving. The arrangement has worked well for some time now.

On Sunday I was contacted by the farm manager of one of the largest farming businesses in Lincolnshire asking if I would like to take on a new farm as far as the pigeon shooting was concerned. He sent the field plans and I went to look yesterday. This is a large farm, so big in fact that the rape in rotation this year extends to 569 acres. All of the rape was direct drilled into barley stubbles. It looked promising and there were pigeons on the fields but it was a bit too far for me to look regularly so I resorted to a cunning plan.

Clearing it with the farm manager first I asked Jacko if he would like to take it on. Bear in mind that the distance involved from Rotherham is only marginally less than the 110 mile round trip to my house. I sent him the plan by WhatsApp and he accepted the challenge followed by so many messages that my phone began to expire.

Just how many pigeons will use those fields remains to be seen but I am sure he will enjoy his time there this winter and next spring. He may even ask me along.

I’m the lucky boy... I must have impressed that very first outing I must have done something right cause it ain’t my  shooting ..... I am very great full ( couldn’t sleep last night buzzing that much) and there will be a  beer and a lunch next time I’m at the van not that I’ll have time with my new perm which I will be visiting this weekend ... Thankyou again my friend you are a true gent😁😁😁😁😁🍾🍾🍾🍾🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦

Edited by Jacko3275

3 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

I’m the lucky boy... I must have impressed that very first outing I must have done something right cause it ain’t my  shooting ..... I am very great full ( couldn’t sleep last night buzzing that much) and there will be a  beer and a lunch next time I’m at the van not that I’ll have time with my new perm which I will be visiting this weekend ... Thankyou again my friend you are a true gent😁😁😁😁😁🍾🍾🍾🍾🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦

Sound like a brilliant first perm and hopefully you haven't got to travel as far as the ones you are now going on , if I was you I would spend the first day checking it out for foot paths and boundaries , and if you can catch the farm manager for a quick chat then that would be an advantage , also check out if there is a game keeper or if any game shooting is taken place over any of the farm land as some farms around here pool there land for a inter farm shoot , where I go they have got my s g c number and when it run out , they have also got my car reg number and they know I am insured , so it won't do you any harm to offer the same , then is somebody report your car tucked in under the hedge they will then know who it is , rather than send somebody to check it out .

PS , if you can get a map of the farm land and where the various crops are going in that will also be a big help. 

GOOD LUCK and keep us informed :good:

7 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Sound like a brilliant first perm and hopefully you haven't got to travel as far as the ones you are now going on , if I was you I would spend the first day checking it out for foot paths and boundaries , and if you can catch the farm manager for a quick chat then that would be an advantage , also check out if there is a game keeper or if any game shooting is taken place over any of the farm land as some farms around here pool there land for a inter farm shoot , where I go they have got my s g c number and when it run out , they have also got my car reg number and they know I am insured , so it won't do you any harm to offer the same , then is somebody report your car tucked in under the hedge they will then know who it is , rather than send somebody to check it out .

PS , if you can get a map of the farm land and where the various crops are going in that will also be a big help. 

GOOD LUCK and keep us informed :good:

I have a map of the rape fields of which is all I am permitted shoot at the moment I believe 11 Fields in all  I have been checking google maps out 2 fields look as if there is a footpath through them but will know more when I get down there on Saturday to have a look round and no doubt I will be texting jdog asking more questions 

Having eleven fields of rape is a very good start and I am sure you will do a good job in protecting them from pigeon damage throughout the Winter and early Spring , this will be noticed and other crop fields on the same land will sure to come your way to look after .

17 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

I have a map of the rape fields of which is all I am permitted shoot at the moment I believe 11 Fields in all  I have been checking google maps out 2 fields look as if there is a footpath through them but will know more when I get down there on Saturday to have a look round and no doubt I will be texting jdog asking more questions 

2 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Having eleven fields of rape is a very good start and I am sure you will do a good job in protecting them from pigeon damage throughout the Winter and early Spring , this will be noticed and other crop fields on the same land will sure to come your way to look after .

I will do the upmost to make my mentor proud and hopefully I may get asked to do more

This permission sounds a dream. The problem being one heck of a lot of driving. Not too bad now but not quite so pleasant in the winter. Just a thought, would it be worth considering putting a cheap caravan somewhere on the land for overnight stays? The other option is a dormobile type thing. I don't know your personal status but if unattached and working you could rock up Friday and leave sometime Sunday. Also, handy if you were to get snowed in and it would be convenient for mid-week forays/short stays. Probably best to have a chat with the landowner but with a farm that size I'm sure there will a bit of space somewhere and you can sell the idea on the basis of intensive crop protection.  

18 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

A most generous thing for JDog to do.

It is very clear Jacko, that your honesty and enthusiasm has paid dividends. 

Enjoy that permission and please post more of your videos. Always good to watch.

OB

18 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

Well done you must have done something right 

a cunning plan to frighten the birds j dogs way 😂😂😂😂

keep us posted on the progress 👍👍

Jdog is a top man 😊