Walker turns up at own 'missing' press conference

chrisjpainter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-54072508

Nice story and a good outcome. However, three things struck me. Firstly how well prepared he was. I get the feeling that people who were reporting on him weren't expecting him to be quite so competent in the outdoors, which is a shame. 80 really is just a number - and an irrelevant one to him it seems. He just had "three good nights wild camping" and then walked himself out of danger. 

Second thing: would carrying a phone/GPS have been too much to ask? Even if you're fine, it stops others worrying that you're not.

Third thing: Buy bright waterproofs. He'd seen the rescuers, a brighter profile might have helped them see him!

All's well that ends well, I guess. In a pub, of course.

1 hour ago, stuartyboy said:

I thought it was peculiar that he had seen the rescuers but hadn’t thought of getting their attention or walking over to them, despite knowing that people would have been wondering where he was. 

I’m not sure he knew he had been reported missing, as he said, he didn’t know they were looking for him.

If he felt in no danger he probably didn’t think folk would be looking for him. He obviously wasn’t too concerned about his predicament, so possibly couldn’t see why others would be. 

29 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’m not sure he knew he had been reported missing, as he said, he didn’t know they were looking for him.

If he felt in no danger he probably didn’t think folk would be looking for him. He obviously wasn’t too concerned about his predicament, so possibly couldn’t see why others would be. 

Still strikes me as odd that he would spend 3 days out without thinking people would wonder were he was and be concerned. Unless he planned to camp for a few days and had made family/friends aware of that. 

I’ve got a lot of respect for him in the way he looked after himself but even more respect for the volunteer rescuers who gave up time with their own family to look for him. Could have been easily avoided if he carried a phone or some other form of communication.

I think that if you take part in any form of sport that has a reasonable probability of you requiring rescue, there should be an obligation to have insurance to cover the costs associated with rescuing you.

35 minutes ago, stuartyboy said:

there should be an obligation to have insurance to cover the costs associated with rescuing you.

I agree but in this case he wasn't rescued.

If I decided to go off for a few days I wouldn't want folk mithering about where I was so I can understand him as far as that goes. Maybe he was fed up and needed to get away for a bit.

Sorry, just read the story properly. Seems a fuss over nowt to me.

Edited by 39TDS

54 minutes ago, stuartyboy said:

Still strikes me as odd that he would spend 3 days out without thinking people would wonder were he was and be concerned. Unless he planned to camp for a few days and had made family/friends aware of that. 

I’ve got a lot of respect for him in the way he looked after himself but even more respect for the volunteer rescuers who gave up time with their own family to look for him. Could have been easily avoided if he carried a phone or some other form of communication.

I think that if you take part in any form of sport that has a reasonable probability of you requiring rescue, there should be an obligation to have insurance to cover the costs associated with rescuing you.

As 39TDS has said...’it seems a lot of fuss over nowt’ to me too. 
I disagree about the insurance aspect; there is no need to offset costs associated with your rescue ( and particularly if you don’t feel you needed rescuing ) as that would infer people shouldn’t have freedom of choice to go where they like when they like. Mountain rescue or indeed any other rescue service don’t regard what they do as an inconvenience, or those who cause it as an inconvenience. Yes, people can be negligent, ignorant or simply downright daft, but that’s just being human, and as yet not illegal. 
Rescue services are there to provide rescue if and when you need it, and not to judge.
As far as I’m aware the bloke in question didn’t need rescuing, but his family thought he did. 

he was trying out his new walking boots - when his son said to him "its Bowls from now on" he responded that it is game for old men. As said - there may have been rescuers looking for him but when he felt he needed assistance he flagged down a passing car

but yep - this day and age a mobile/gps/locate/flares/a loooooong piece of string  would be a good idea for him :D