Can my step son use my 20 bore

9 hours ago, London Best said:

He won’t, but the officer might.

You’re pursuing a point with an illogical and irrational train of thought. 
On the slim chance they are spotted by a member of the public who actually reports them, and on the even slimmer chance the police respond to her reports of someone in a hedge with a gun, the rozzers turn up to discover a man and his son sat in a hide with a 20 bore shotgun. 🤷‍♂️

Putting aside the various police forces that like to make up their own 'laws', I often wonder if we would gain more credibility on an open forum  if we we spent just 10% of the time that we do attempting to flout the law to actually ensure that we comply with it. After all, in this instance it would be simplicity itself.

2 hours ago, Scully said:

On the slim chance they are spotted by a member of the public who actually reports them, and on the even slimmer chance the police respond to her reports of someone in a hedge with a gun, the rozzers turn up . 🤷‍♂️

I once experienced this slim (and slimmer) chance. It can happen. Quite unbelievably in my case by what proved to be a trespasser walking her dog on the other side of the hedge in which I was sat shooting over stubble.  

Part way through the morning I became aware of what at first looked like two schoolgirls walking around my car parked in the corner of the field, so I wandered down to see what was going on. Getting closer I could see it was two female community support officers. We had a friendly chat, they noted my SGC No and I asked them why they were there. They said a woman had reported a man attacking a hedge with a large machete and then sitting with a gun as if waiting for somebody. She thought it suspicious and dangerous so she reported it.

I've never experienced or heard of anything similar before or since that event. But yes, it can happen.

3 hours ago, Bobba said:

I once experienced this slim (and slimmer) chance. It can happen. Quite unbelievably in my case by what proved to be a trespasser walking her dog on the other side of the hedge in which I was sat shooting over stubble.  

Part way through the morning I became aware of what at first looked like two schoolgirls walking around my car parked in the corner of the field, so I wandered down to see what was going on. Getting closer I could see it was two female community support officers. We had a friendly chat, they noted my SGC No and I asked them why they were there. They said a woman had reported a man attacking a hedge with a large machete and then sitting with a gun as if waiting for somebody. She thought it suspicious and dangerous so she reported it.

I've never experienced or heard of anything similar before or since that event. But yes, it can happen.

I knew this was going to happen. Yes, it CAN happen, I didn’t say it couldn’t, what I did say was the chances are slim, a fact you yourself have just pointed out. 
I tend to take a more pragmatic viewpoint of legislation, and if the OP had also, he wouldn’t now be none the wiser for asking the question. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I knew this was going to happen. Yes, it CAN happen, I didn’t say it couldn’t, what I did say was the chances are slim, a fact you yourself have just pointed out. 
I tend to take a more pragmatic viewpoint of legislation, and if the OP had also, he wouldn’t now be none the wiser for asking the question. 

Ouch! Gosh Scully, I wasn't contradicting you or picking an arguement with you. Merely confirming your point from my own experience. 

4 hours ago, Bobba said:

You have to love the police a man with a machete and a gun and the send two community bobbies  I had a noise complaint  from an horrible neighbour (who  moans when a delivery van parks in front of her house) and they sent 4 cars and 8 big burly officers  

5 hours ago, Bobba said:

Ouch! Gosh Scully, I wasn't contradicting you or picking an arguement with you. Merely confirming your point from my own experience. 

My sincere apologies Bobba, I didn’t mean to sound short with you; it happened to me once also, although in my case I’d gone back home by the time the rozzers showed up, I just get a little exasperated when folk, instead of just getting on with things,  they seek assurances down to the umpteenth level, that what they are doing is ok. If the rozzers has their way they wouldn’t let us shoot at all. I sometimes wonder what we did in the days before social media. 
My apologies, I think my patience was already wearing thin prior to you posting. 

5 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

You have to love the police a man with a machete and a gun and the send two community bobbies  I had a noise complaint  from an horrible neighbour (who  moans when a delivery van parks in front of her house) and they sent 4 cars and 8 big burly officers  

Good point!