Harvest time Blues

david Paul Gag

Evening Guys and Girls

My first time  posting on here in the past Ive been quite content reading up on some  the excellent advice some of you guys come up with and that is the reason for my post.

I am lucky in having access to a fairly large amount of arable land which I have been pigeon shooting over for several years now On standing and laid crops I can get reasonable bags.

But come harvest time  the acreage that I shoot over is cut all at the same time and  I cannot get the blighters to come any where near me

flagging may seem to be an option but I would need a frigging lot of flags Any one have any suggestions ?'

Dave

2 minutes ago, david Paul Gag said:

Evening Guys and Girls

My first time  posting on here in the past Ive been quite content reading up on some  the excellent advice some of you guys come up with and that is the reason for my post.

I am lucky in having access to a fairly large amount of arable land which I have been pigeon shooting over for several years now On standing and laid crops I can get reasonable bags.

But come harvest time  the acreage that I shoot over is cut all at the same time and  I cannot get the blighters to come any where near me

flagging may seem to be an option but I would need a frigging lot of flags Any one have any suggestions ?'

Dave

Hello, what about some bangers on the perimeter fields

25 minutes ago, david Paul Gag said:

Evening Guys and Girls

Dave

What you need is me in the next field to scare them over your way 😁

I used flags last week to keep the pige off their favourite corner near a road and houses .and encourage them into my field next door .

It seemed to work as I saw no pige drop into that area all day .

I use some old tent poles with roofing felt tied to it .I have just 4 and that worked for a 20 acre field  

I have no real answer. Without spending some time there, it is hard to give advice.

I would try to find the field that the pigeons really want. I am not keen on setting up when the odds aren't in my favour and the chances of a good bag are slim. I haven't set up much recently, preferring to bide my time.

12 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, what about some bangers on the perimeter fields

I've always been a bit cagey about using rope bangers on stubble when it's very dry as I would hate to see the field set alight. Not sure whether that would be possible. 

A field of wheat stubble was completely burnt out a couple of years ago near me, but no-one knew the exact cause.

OB

4 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I've always been a bit cagey about using rope bangers on stubble when it's very dry as I would hate to see the field set alight. Not sure whether that would be possible. 

A field of wheat stubble was completely burnt out a couple of years ago near me, but no-one knew the exact cause.

OB

Hello, understand what you mean, perhaps not on the actual stubble ?

14 hours ago, david Paul Gag said:

Evening Guys and Girls

Dave

its not the case of getting the pigeons to come anywhere near you, but you getting to where the pigeons want to-be, what numbers are you seeing on the field/s? Is there much traffic/flight lines? Do they want a particular field or place on that field, have you walked them off? Do they come back to the same place? there are so many ifs and buts and as motty said, its hard to give advice without seeing the situation.

As pigeon shooters we require pigeons to-be doing certain things on a field before we can make a judgement on whether to setup and where, but sometimes even when things look favourable it can still all go pear shaped.

If you watch all your fields see which one they do favour, that's the first step.

If you have a strong wind shoot a field down wind so your shots spook them off the other fields and they come into wind to your position.

As previously stated use rope bangers to keep them on the move so they see your decoys.

Thanks for the response Guys 

Just to clarify I also use dead birds as decoys and some times two magnets before harvesting took eplace I was doing (without saying how many) quite good bags,

A day or so after Harvest I went a drive round just to see where they were feeding and to be honest at about 2pm they were in most fields   so I  decided  

to shoot the next day set up about 1-30 pm dead birds and magnets pigeons all over the place was looking forwards to a good day.h

Well total disaster they would not come any where near me  I took the magnets in still no good - shot two!

Since harvest Ive  only  shot there once a week. the following week I did setup in a different field they seem to want to be any where in the field but not near my dead bird  decoys

I,m thinking  that there is too much food about for them after harvest? Is that possible?

they seem to want to feed in their own little groups

thinking of what you guys have recommended  bangers / flags/etc  Im just not sure but maybe give the flags a go

may be just sit under a flightline

Most pigeon shooters look forward to harvest time only to be disappointed, myself included.

'Too much choice' I hear everyone say and that may be the case but they have to feed somewhere. I spend more time looking at this time of the year than shooting.

Yesterday I watched for well over an hour before deciding to set up on a flight line to a field in the distance. My reward was 24 picked.