Recall

blade

On 09/09/2020 at 09:41, blade said:

Hello all just wondered if anyone has any ideas. Got a 16 month sprocker her recall in garden or house is good. But as soon as I let her off lead she's gone and I mean gone any ideas please 

Also no one has spoken about the bond the two of you have. 
When I walk my dogs they are naturally close to me, most of the time I have to tell them to ‘get on’. 

If the dog was mine I would be going back to the very beginning. 
As said buy a book/dvd and use it as your guide. 
To me dog training should be fun for me and the dog - the dog should want to be with me not with whatever is in the next field. 

Also for me I would want a rock solid recall before I moved onto the stop whistle. 

21 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Recall gets taught from 7 weeks old, it is a game and just becomes embedded in them. Nothing overrides recall. I recall my dogs from their dinner, if they don’t come instantly then I’m not happy and more training needed. Anytime a pup meets another dog (or 70% of the time) its recall whistle back. 

Unfortunately it's the bit most folk omit to train.

On 11/09/2020 at 20:20, WelshAndy said:

Also no one has spoken about the bond the two of you have. 
When I walk my dogs they are naturally close to me, most of the time I have to tell them to ‘get on’. 

If the dog was mine I would be going back to the very beginning. 
As said buy a book/dvd and use it as your guide. 
To me dog training should be fun for me and the dog - the dog should want to be with me not with whatever is in the next field. 

Also for me I would want a rock solid recall before I moved onto the stop whistle. 

This is a point well made. As pups my dogs want to be with me I don’t have to force it and later as they progress they are encouraged to get out. Aside of being the centre of all that is good I want them watching so they are not too far from me. Lots of ways of doing this including hiding lying down or turning around and walking away in the opposite direction if they get too far in front and aren’t paying attention. They soon learn to watch and stay close or I disappear and they have to come find me.

8 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Aside of being the centre of all that is good I want them watching so they are not too far from me. Lots of ways of doing this including hiding lying down or turning around and walking away in the opposite direction if they get too far in front and aren’t paying attention. They soon learn to watch and stay close or I disappear and they have to come find me.

This, I always do it. If dogs get too far away (past my invisible line) I will hide in a hedge. You can see on their little faces they think they are lost and bomb. Certainly when working HPRs quartering 100m each side over Moor it is the dog’s responsibility to know where you are and work relative to you. My old boy is very deaf and mostly blind now (he’s over 10) and so you can see him struggle to recognise me in a line if we have turned etc but the recall whistle is just a location beacon to help the dog find you.