Ipad 32 g

DUNKS

Hi My laptop has just gone belly up and it has been recommended I get a 32g Wi- Fi iPad. I have had a look online and they all seem to be around the same price £350 . Is there a cheaper option please. Bearing in mind I am old and not too good at technology

Talk to me please..

Edited by DUNKS

We’ve had Apple iPads, then gone over to other makes, only to return to Apple again, usually because the other makes start slowing down or simply stop working as well.

The Apple products just seem to work better for longer, at least in our experience.

For us, the cost difference is worth it.

If you know any students at university, you can use their Uni Days details for some good deals from Apple store. We got free air pods with an ipad purchase recently, worth £130

Oh what a great can of worms you have just prised the lid off!

Laptops

Good for portability, expensive to upgrade or repair - major vulnerabilities to fluids being spilt on the keyboard as the functional gubbins are underneath, displays are connected to the aforementioned gubbins using a ribbon cable which fractures over time.

Desktop PC

Not portable, easily upgradable, technology has reached a 'lego' stage where mix and match of components is relatively simple to achieve.  Generally better value. 

Tablets

Useful for casual browsing - frustrating to use for anything important, especially as you get older as the entire screen surface is sensitive to touch.

What's the budget for replacement?

You won’t find an iPad cheap unless it’s used. If you’re not good with tech then iOS is about as foolproof as you can get. Android is less so and has a slightly increased risk of malware.

if you were happy with a laptop (with windows) before then why get another as it will be cheaper.

1 hour ago, SpringDon said:

You won’t find an iPad cheap unless it’s used. If you’re not good with tech then iOS is about as foolproof as you can get. Android is less so and has a slightly increased risk of malware.

if you were happy with a laptop (with windows) before then why get another as it will be cheaper.

Good idea but I could not see a laptop with a decent spec cheaper.

6 hours ago, humperdingle said:

We’ve had Apple iPads, then gone over to other makes, only to return to Apple again, usually because the other makes start slowing down or simply stop working as well.

The Apple products just seem to work better for longer, at least in our experience.

For us, the cost difference is worth it.

If you know any students at university, you can use their Uni Days details for some good deals from Apple store. We got free air pods with an ipad purchase recently, worth £130

Apple have extended to deal to any students not just uni. I purchased a new MacBook Pro for my son (Starting 6th form) and got 10% off plus AirPods. 

On 09/09/2020 at 13:30, SpringDon said:

iOS is about as foolproof as you can get.

I spent 40+ years in the computer industry and I find the wife's iPad anything but foolproof. In fact it's an incredibly frustrating thing to use. 

Modern laptops are brilliant, They do everything and if you don't care about really high performance they're cheaper than iPads or fancy Android tablets.

23 minutes ago, Westward said:

I spent 40+ years in the computer industry and I find the wife's iPad anything but foolproof. In fact it's an incredibly frustrating thing to use. 

Modern laptops are brilliant, They do everything and if you don't care about really high performance they're cheaper than iPads or fancy Android tablets.

I bought an iMac when I was travelling to Munich weekly - picked it up on the way back - got it home set it up - spent a lot of time cursing it - and then it spent quite a number of years sitting in the dining room looking pretty as I went back to Windows where at least I could do what I wanted to do with it - yep - I work in IT

24 minutes ago, Westward said:

Opinions vary. I worked on and with windows development since version 2. Windows is awful for casual users, iOS is not.

1 hour ago, SpringDon said:

Opinions vary. I worked on and with windows development since version 2. Windows is awful for casual users, iOS is not.

I think if you are ‘into tech’ then you prefer windows as it gives you more chance to tinker. But for the non technical user iOS wins hands down.